“Great place for a hike” 5 of 5 stars

Type: State Parks, Forests
Activities: Swimming, Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A convenient location, just seven miles south of Charleston, plus a large swimming pool, playground, hiking and biking trails and a 9,300-acre forest, make this recreational area one of the most popular in West Virginia.
Hell, Michigan
71 attraction reviews
“Great place for a hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

From my notes from my work trip to Charleston in August. I had some free time and needed the exercise so I drove out here and got a trail map and went for a hike. The trails were well marked and I enjoyed the elevation change and the workout I got from my hike. I saw lots of birds but I didn't see any mammals larger than a squirrel. The trails were great and I'm glad I drove out here to hike. While driving back out of the park I saw lots of picnic shelters and saw a lot of people on bikes. This is a great park and well worth a visit.

Visited August 2013

Charleston, West Virginia
30 attraction reviews
“Nearest touch of nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

A beautiful little park about 15 minutes outside of Charleston. Not particularly well advertised or famous (likely the reason it remains pristine), it has a good reputation with local botanists and mountain bikers as well as those who just want to walk and enjoy the woods.

A note for the unwary: You will have NO PHONE SERVICE here. It doesn't matter what your carrier is. Take a map to get you out of the area and be prepared for a few hours without phone calls, texts, or internet service.

Visited June 2013
Berea, Kentucky
28 attraction reviews
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

It is so close to Charleston, and it is surprising how unblemished it is. The walking trails were nice, and we got to see a lot of unusual plants including a Ghost Plant and a Coral Fungus. I would have liked to have had either a trail map or better signs for their trails, but I had printed out the hiking trail descriptions so we knew difficulty and location before we started out.

Visited August 2013
Charleston, West Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“DebWV”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I walk and ride my bike around Kanawha State Forest often. The wildflowers in the spring are wonderful and I love the streams, picnic areas. The camping area is very nice as well.

Visited May 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“How about some maps?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Beautiful State park, however, there wasn't a map to be found and there were poorly marked trails as to what you would see once yo ustarted down the path and/or the length. These items would help. Also, my hotel didn't have any info so brochures provided to area hoteliers would be helpful.

Visited June 2013