“Standard Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Los Angeles, California
“Standard Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Pluses: nice lobby, good breakfast, fast Wifi, friendly stuff.

Minues: standard room I got was a bit small - I am a lowest level IHG member, but I had an IHG credit card, which should get me to Platinum Elite, maybe after I spend $1000? But I had the IHG card and asked front desk for upgrade, what I got was a standard room right by the elevator. Room was OK, but I used work desk, the space between work chair and bed is so narrow so the chair kept bumping into the bed. Lamp cover on work desk appears to be never cleaned, with threads hanging down (room 215), mirror by that lamp has plenty of dirt. That was my first impression of the room. After that, everything else was OK. Pillow appears to be a little outdated inside the pillow case but OK; towels aren't new and fluffy but OK.

My travel buddy said her room wasn't made so she got upgraded to a bigger room, but that room was by the railway with trains passing every 2 hours so she didn't sleep well.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Jason Z,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I appreciate your positive feedback about the nice feature of the lobby, breakfast option, WIFI connection and friendly staff. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. I am sorry you were not satisfied with your room accommodation including the amenities. The feedback we receive from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas will help us improve for your next visit. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

We value you as an IHG Rewards Club member and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel seemed to offer a lot to guests and was very busy. Our room was the biggest of the hotels we'd stayed at on our roadtrip from LA to NYC. The laundry had a lot of machines so I was able to get all my washing done. There is a cool bird near the lobby who is a huge attraction but I couldn't get her to talk as she only seems to connect with the hotel staff. I wasn't that fussed on the breakfast but other people seem to like it. It's only a short drive to down town Charleston across the river.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Stormchaser71,

Thank you for the review , and for all the compliments about our facilities. I am sorry that our parrot, Mosa, was being difficult, she usually talks to guests but sometimes she can get particular. I hope on a future visit she'll be more cooperative and talk to you like she does the rest of us.
Staunton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

First of all, we have corporate rates here, so we get a significant discount for our stays. That being said, this used to be my favorite hotel. The rooms are nice and spacious, very relaxing, tons of TV channels, indoor pool and workout room. The staff is awesome during the day, but if you're like me and have to work late at night, the graveyard shift staff is kind of scary and extremely rude. Nothing that ruined the hotel or my rating of it, maybe he just was having an off night.

Great stay!

Room Tip: Anything on the 6th floor has always been quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Caleb F,

Thank you for being a loyal guest and we appreciate your business. I hope we can assume the night staff was just having a bad day and that you can continue to enjoy the hotel and all its amenities going forward.

Thanks,
S. Arnold, GM
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This is an absolutely gorgeous hotel! We stayed here after a long drive after our vacation in North Carolina and it was so comfortable, clean, and friendly. We made our reservation about 2 hours before we checked in and got such a wonderful rate. We were greeted so nicely when we checked in and were very impressed with the decor and especially the pool. Breakfast was delicious- biscuits and gravy, sausage, eggs, and continental. Mediocre restaurant, but awesome to have somewhere to go that's right in the hotel. Do yourself a favor and stay here if you're in the area!

The only complaint I have is the service in the restaurant was very slow. The bartender was absolutely incredible. Most of the responsibilities were thrown on her even while she was doing her own job. She deserves a raise!

One additional thing I loved was that they had both types of pillows in the room- soft and firm- and they were labeled. I loved that little touch!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kristen B,

Thank you so much for such a great review! I am sorry that there was such a problem in the restaurant, I will look into why there was so much for our bartender to handle on her own. Thank you for the compliments to her and we hope to see you again soon!.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and I were driving through Charleston and stayed at this property. The lobby and pool is very modern. It was beautifully decorated. We lamented the fact that we didn't have the kids with us because they would have enjoyed the pool. It was much bigger than a typical hotel pool. All staff we interacted with was very friendly and always asking if they could help us with anything. Overall is was a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Supposedly there is a train at one end of the building. You may want to ask to be away from the tra...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly L,

So glad that you stopped on your way through Charleston, and I am sorry as well that you didn't have the kids, because I'm sure you're correct that they would have enjoyed it. As well, it's great to hear that your interactions with the staff were excellent as well. We look forward to a future visit, and I hope you bring the kids!
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is a model hotel for Holiday Inn as far as I'm concerned. Very friendly staff and extremely helpful to go above and beyond their duty. The breakfast is fresh and not old leftovers like some of the places I've stayed. Dinner was great as well if you don't want to leave and they have tv's at the bar as well as WiFi.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ronnie R,

Thank you for the kind words, especially the ones for the staff! We would love to see you again soon.
Happy Valley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed here on our way home from North Carolina, and we stayed on an evening when there was a major traffic accident affecting everyone's travel. Luckily we had made reservations the day before. The staff was super busy, but they were super nice. The breakfast was one of the best "free" ones I've had at a hotel. The pool and outdoor fountains were SO much fun, and I wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy them. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Meredith B,

Very sorry to hear about the accident that delayed you, but I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and liked our pool and fountains! I am glad you had a lot of fun and I will be very happy to see you again when you return to us!

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West? Share your experiences!