“Very surprised...!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Columbus, Ohio
“Very surprised...!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was very surprised with this hotel. It seems like it's in the middle of no where. It's right by train tracks. However, it's a very nice, modern, updated hotel. It's the best Holiday Inn I've ever stayed at for certain.

The staff were all helpful and friendly. The room was nice and clean. Very quiet and up to date. We never heard any trains while we were in our room, but we heard them when in the pool area.

Speaking of which.. the pool and the hot tub are fantastic. The pool has little fountains that you can turn off and on. (which is great for kids!) The hot tub was nice.

This hotel also has a gym with nice equipment! A game room where you can play electronic slot machines, laundry room with pinball machines and a restaurant... even though the restaurant had weird hours and is not open on Sundays.

The breakfast is OK. Nothing to remember really. Just the standard stuff.. and no orange juice? I thought that was kind of weird.

But this is a great hotel and I would stay here again if I were in the area!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
melissawv, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Tonyk8s,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at our hotel. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and hope you stay with us again soon!

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel was average in price, but a very nicely updated facility. Unfortunately, a few issues made it a less than perfect stay. First of all, I had a very fitful sleep. The linens were rich in polyester and made the very hard bed quite hot. The next morning I saw that the majority of the air from the air conditioner was going right up the drapes and not into the room. The thermostat was confusing as well and did not ever reflect the temp of the room. The shower was another frustrating experience. When I first stepped into the tub, the shower spray hit me full in the face. It took me a few minutes to find the sweet spot that enabled me to bathe without being blinded by water. I tried to adjust the shower head, but at 5'4", I was way too short to reach the head. I was also irritated that there was no fan to pull out the steam. While I was not comfortable during my stay, the staff was friendly and the hotel was convenient to the interstate. I will probably look for a different hotel the mext time I am in Charleston.

• Stayed May 2013
Chicky1977,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay and I have reviewed them with our maintenance team to see what measures we can go to fix them. Thanks again and we hope you'll stay with us again in the future!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Excellent Hotel for a one night stay. I actually stay at this property twice a week. The help is ALWAYS Upbeat and in good spirits... Chilou at the desk is always Very Couteous and accommodating. The Rooms are clean with Microwaves and fridges in every room... also 30isn Inch flatscreens in every room with a decent selection of channels for viewing. The saltwater pool is GREAT although I do not use it often. I cannot rate breakfast as I leave way before the breakfast starts...

Room Tip: 3rd floor are smoking rooms. 13's and 15's are next to elevator (I usually stay in 415 or 5...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Jkess135246,

Thank you for the review and the comments. We always appreciate our returning customers and are happy that you feel the staff is upbeat. We look forward to your future stays and can't wait to welcome you back!
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I am curently staying at the Holiday Inn and Suites again, and was delighted to be upgraded to a suite. The room is luxurious and recently upgraded. I feel like a queen. I am a platinum members and was given water and a snack at check in and greeted as a platinum member. Chilou was at the desk on this visit as well and was so kind and helpful. Chilou has greeted me every time I walk by the desk. She is professional and so very helpful. The houskeeping staff and maintaince crew alos are so respectful and have great manners. The breakfast folks are great and I just love this stay even more than ever. Last night I went to Wingate which is next door. They invited all guest to attend for horderves and drinks. The socialization was interesting. This hotel is "my" hotel when I am in Charleston!

Room Tip: The top floors have better preserved rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bonnie S,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the comments and are extremely happy to hear that we are your hotel for the Charleston area! We also appreciate the comments you had for the staff and we can't wait to see you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Awesome pool and beautifully renovated throughout. Pool had 10 x 12 or bigger 9 inch depth section perfect for little kids. Also had water jets/sprinklers my son loved. Adjacent hot tub meant I could relax and keep an eye on him. Indoor pool area was spacious and very cool wayer and yes, fire features. Beds comfortable, room had decent size fridge, staff friendly and the included breakfast was adequate for cost. Only minor complaints were the elevators didn't seem to be air conditioned and rooms ac was a tad funky tho not smelly. Will probably stay here again next year.

• Stayed June 2013
SigneyAnn,

Thank you for the comments! I'm glad to hear you had such a good time at the pool with your son. I'm sorry about the problems with the AC in your room, and I want you to know that Maintenance has been notified to correct the issue. We look forward to seeing you on your return!
Charleston, WV, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We've been coming to Charleston for about 7 years, had stayed in this hotel when it was a Ramada several times. Holiday Inn has done a great job with the remodel on the common areas. Pool is great for kids and eating area is nice. Rooms have not been remodeled but are adequate. Our experience lacked in service, however. Crib was not in room when I arrived as requested by phone twice. Fridge did not work and lost milk due to not being cold. Had to request pool towels 3 times and eventually go get them myself from housekeeping. Pool was closed on early Sunday evening. We were partially compensated for trouble by Kimberly. Other front desk reps were not as anxious to help about anything or knowledgeable. Breakfast is free and nice selection. Train runs beside hotel, which could be noisy. Overall, okay, but not exceptional.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear lovewv,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret you found the level of service you received less than satisfactory. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our services continually.

Once gain, we apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kaiserslautern
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

You could do worse...the staff was friendly, the pool area looked well about average (if I was traveling with my seven year old, he would have had a blast). I was recognized as a Platinum member and was upgrade to a suite. However, the decor was brown and a bit cheap looking - think Candlewood suites rather than Staybridge suites. Bed has fine though...so you could do worse in town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Booker30,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West? Share your experiences!