“Very Nice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Union, KY
“Very Nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were very impressed by this hotel.
It takes up a large footprint, and is actually a conference center hotel, which we didn't realize.
Really nice-sized pool, hot tub seated 10+.
Bar drinks were a little pricey, but about what you would expect at a hotel bar. The bartender put our drinks in solo cups so we could take them into the pool area.
Breakfast also really nice, the juice containers oddly were set up on the bar in a plastic tub, didn't think they had juice until the server asked if we wanted some...
Although we heard the trains, just a bit, it wasn't bad, definitely did not wake us. We were on the "back" side.
Extremely comfortable beds!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
OneKentuckyFamily, Thank you so much for the kind review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time here and that you and your family were well taken care of. It's great to hear that you really liked the pool and the beds! I look forward to serving you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We typically prefer upscale lodging, but we were weary travelers en route from NC to OH... browsing the web on our phone for hotel that accepted pets. We don't normally travel with our dog but he's small and doesn't shed so we thought we'd let him tag along this trip...still, accommodating a pet was a new prerequisite for us. The H.I. seemed like less of a roll of the dice (and we were tired), so we thought we'd take a chance. This hotel is in a REALLY sketchy part of town and it used to be some other hotel but H.I. has really made an effort to spruce up the place. Surprise! Very modern lobby, bar and restaurant...Really cool pool area adjacent to the lobby....some refurb still taking place in the halls and elevators but rooms were decent. (B to B+)
We didn't eat ...packed up and high-tailed it out of there...but the free breakfast looked a notch or two above your typical Hampton Inn bagel and juice bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RagTopRon, Thank you for the review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and that your pet was taken care of as well. Thank you for the comments about the hotel, they help us to make improvements for all our guests. We hope to see you again!
Camdenton, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have several negative complaints I will discuss about the service at the hotel, however, at this time I will speak of my positive experiences. There are several people that have gone above and beyond their roles here to make our stay a better one. There are two woman in the breakfast dining area through the week days, and their hospitality, cleanliness and their approach to all guest is remarkable. They go out of their way to be friendly and on top of things at the breakfast area. One of them is Gwen, and the other lady works along side her, but i did not get her name yet. Also, I do not know the role of a man named Doug, but he has gone above and beyond customer service with not only us, but other guest as well, and all I have seen him do is the trash-he deserves a better position, perhaps hospitality, or a raise. Also Chilu and Nate at the front desk have been very helpful, friendly and accommadating. My aunt owns 13 hotels in Branson, MO and I have been the hotel industry my entire life. The people I have mentioned need to be praised at the very minimum for their roles here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Tim S, Thank you for the review. It is always great to hear guests praise members of our staff as you have done. Our employees make our hotel and we would be nothing without them. I hope that we can improve the quality of the service for you on a future visit and would hope you give us that opportunity soon. If there is anything you wish to discuss, please don't hesitate to call me at the hotel.
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

This is absolutely the best customer service that I have ever received at a hotel!
Family of 4 was comfortable in double bed room.
Pool area is excellent, especially with small children.
Fitness area is very nice.
Breakfast package added to room is very good deal!
Continental breakfast is nice but only has milk, water and coffee. Juice choices would be nice.
Map supplied on hotel Web page needs to be more detailed, it is kind of confusing.
Would highly recommend this hotel for the business traveler or a family needing to stop for the night.

• Stayed December 2012
addison k, Thank you for such a kind review! It's always good to hear that we've made a guest's stay better. It is even better when guest say they would recommend you. I hope to see you more in the future!
Westfield, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Fairly easy to find, though it seems out of place for some reason. There's a Wyndham right next door and a couple of restaurants nearby, but not much else. Plenty of free parking. Unfortunately, there must have been some sort of event that night because it was very difficult finding a spot.
Nice decor in the lobby.
Room was very clean. I was on the ground floor on the east side and I'll say this- reviewers weren't kidding about the train. It came rumbling past on the south side of the hotel at least a few times between 4 and midnight. Not much of an issue, perhaps I was tired. But it was unmistakable.
Bed was comfortable, internet had no problems, bathroom was spacious, good shower.
All of the staff were very friendly and helpful.
For those with kids, watch the later night viewing. I stumbled across some channels that could lead to an awkward question/answer with the young-uns. I have no complaints about it, though.
Breakfast was a good selection, though I didn't notice a waffle maker, which I almost always go for at these buffets. Maybe I just missed it. Otherwise, a decent selection of items and all were stocked.
I didn't try the bar or restaurant, or the pool or business center.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
thompstone, Thank you for the review. I'm glad to hear that you had a good stay with no problems, except for the parking. The event was a Comedy Show at the hotel, and I'm sorry it impacted you. Thank you for the rest of your comments, they help us improve for the future. It is great to hear that you would stay with us again!
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a nice hotel which you might not think upon first approach. As others have mentioned, it appears to have been recently remodeled and in fact one of the elevators was still under construction. The lobby is very modern, and the pool/hot tub area is very nice. There is a very adequate workout room with several treadmills, eliptical machines and free weights. The hotel room that I stayed in was not huge but large enough, with a very nice, spacious bathroom and lots of counter space by the sink. Everything was very clean. The only real drawback was the area and views, which were overlooking either a parking lot or another hotel. This little area of Charleston has a cute main street that you can walk to from the hotel, with a couple of antique shops. Not a lot of restaurants in the area, but the hotel restaurant was decent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Wilson60, Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed the remodel & our restaurant. I hope to see you again on future visits to the Charleston area.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Exterior says the hotel has been here a while, but the interior says it must have been remodeled recently. Lobby is lovely and modern, with an obscured view of a large pool area and workout room, and adjacent to the restaurant. Rooms were clean, with white linens, high beds, large TV, desk, and spacious vanity. Responsive to requests. Every single hotel employee, from the front staff to cleaning crew, looked us in the eye, smiled, and said hello or excuse me or may I hold the elevator for you and so on -- super nice. Very pleased with our stay and would definitely recommend.
(One watch out: Any night in this area will entail some noise from the highway and train.)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you so much for the review. It is great to her that you were impressed and that the service as well as the interior was to your expectations. I look forward to your return visits and hope that you will continue to be impressed with us in the future!

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West? Share your experiences!