“Another Tripadvisor recommendation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Michigan
“Another Tripadvisor recommendation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Traveling with our Grandchildren on the way home from Florida we set our GPS unit for the Sleep Inn in Charleston WV. After reading the Tripadvisor review we knew we would not be disappointed. We arrived at about 8:30 pm on Friday April 5, 2013 after my wife called to inquire about room availability. The polite and efficient Front Desk Clerk told her they had plenty of rooms available and a reservation would not be required but took our name and wrote it down and was expecting us upon our arrival. Check in was quick and efficient. We walked next door to the Family Restaurant for a late dinner and were welcomed with southern charm and hospitality. The food was good and reasonably priced. Our room at the fairly new Sleep Inn was modern, and clean. Although the beds were a little softer than we're accustomed to we slept well. Breakfast the following morning was very good offering something for everybody in our party. Check out was quick and the rate for the night in the $89.00 range was better than we had expected for a quality overnight stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Sleep Inn Charleston WV is easy access off I-79, just east of Charleston. The hotel is situated between the interstate and the Elk River with beautiful views of a golf course. It is a very clean hotel and the staff was friendly. Our single queen bed room was very small, with modern decor. The shower was a single stall, no tub. My likes: open stairwell from lobby to my 3rd floor room; treadmill (even though it is in a room with vending machines and laundry); hard boiled eggs available for breakfast; cleanliness; quiet; and comfortable bed. The restaurant adjoining the property parking lot was busy though we did not try it ourselves. There is also a pizza shop across the road.

Room Tip: ask for river side rather than road side
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Grand Ledge, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The rooms were redecorated a couple years ago and are very pretty, clean and comfortable. The sheets were soft, the beds comfortable, and the free hot breakfast makes mornings with kids go so much easier. Would certaily recommend the little restaurant next door for dinner too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mayfield, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Rarely do I book a Choice Property for more than one night if I e never stayed there and this one was no different. The staff is great here and very eager to accommodate their guests. This is a remodeled property that you can tell a lot of money was spent here. The room was super clean and the Housekeeping dept. takes pride in their hotel. The head housekeeper has been here a long time and seems to genuinely have an interest in your comfort. Tho only downside to the whole experience is there is only one Resturant close but that is not a reflection on the hotel itself. I stayed another night after my first night because it was just right for my travel plans this week. The work desk in this room needs to be changed around as the TV is to your back when working at it. That's kind of a deal to me. The breakfast is better than your average Sleep In Great property.

• Stayed April 2013
Lawrence, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Being a young teacher, I wasn't looking for something high end. I just wanted comfort with all the basic necessities. When I exited the highway, this hotel was right off the ramp. It was out of the town, but it was out just enough to be in the quiet. It only takes about a five minute drive to get into the downtown area. I was happy with my stay, the staff was friendly, the room was clean, and although it was small, I loved the decor. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgeport, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I thought I would try this hotel to build some Choice points for later in the year. Overall it is a good solid hotel to consider for the area. There is no real thrills in the hotel. No pool. No little fitness area from what I could find. The hotel isn't surrounded by businesses and restaurants as is many of the other Charleston sites. It is even out of town.

These may be negatives for some people, but may actually be positives for others. The hotel is out of town, but right by the interstate. You can access the interstate and get most of Charleston as quickly or even quicker than you would by staying at one of the Maccorkle Ave motels. The price is actually similar to what you would pay for South Charleston, St. Albans, or Kanawha City. There is a local restaurant in front of the motel that you pass to get to the motel. It has mom and pop hours, but it does seem to attract the locals so I would assume it is a good restaurant.

As to the motel itself. It looks pretty recently remodeled. I have had more comfortable beds, but they did the job. The room was cleaned and properly stocked. The front desk personnel was friendly and kept coffee out in the morning for people after the breakfast hours and cookies in the evening. The television was decent and got the popular channels most hotels subscribe to in the area. The wi-fi worked well, was quick and I was able to access it without much trouble. I would say of the Choice chain selections this hotel would be your best alternative in the area because of it's convenience to town. The others seemed farther away and a few are in rougher areas of town. I didn't go down for breakfast, but it looked like a decent sized area and possibly even some hot items (there were some steamer units on the one counter) to choose from. If you want to park you car and be able to walk everywhere to shop and to avoid the traffic congestion after a concert this one might not be right for you, but if you want something different next time you stay in the area you may give this one a shot.

Room Tip: I ordered one on the front of the hotel. The interstate is on the back side so you may be able to a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Tallahassee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

or an upscale Microtel. Look. It's a well maintained property with a friendly staff, in a scenic location, (its gazebo overlooks a river that's way cleaner than ANY I've seen in Fla). Overall, Sleep Inns are the best chains without a pool. (In this case. I looked, but the fact I didn't find it doesn't guarantee there wasn't one). The room (#315) was a very WELL thought out for a compact room using every squre foot of its floor space. Such as positioning the mirrors so that you can see the TV everywhere in the room, including the toilet and the shower, ( which probably annoyed the neighbors). The room had a mini fridge/ microwave under the desk which had a chair that could double as a recliner (when placed beside the bed). I don't comment on the breakfast bar because after 30+ yrs of working Shift 2-3, I don't eat breakfast ( since I DON'T want to get up THAT early)! This hotel has a family restaurant adjacent to it ( with a surprisingly loyal local clientel). This property is directly across the river from the airport.
Now WHY it didn't get a 5 out of five.While there is a restaurant next door ,it dosen't serve beer/wine. The next closest restaurants are either in downtown Charleston or on Exit 9 on I-79, There are grorcery stores on NB on US119, towards Elkview, (which THIS weekend seems to be popular with motorcyclists, though they calm down after dark).
BOTTOMLINE I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Odd # room are on the south (sun in winter) side of the hall
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!