“Return visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Princeton, United States
“Return visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Only place I will stay!. Great staff, the desk clerks are friendly and efficient; fresh breakfast with plenty of choices-I recommend the waffles; clean facility, room is always straigthened, bed made, restocked with fresh towels; comfortable bed with plush pillows; in room temperature control; perfect location; convenient walking distance to office, shopping and dining; just a couple of blocks from the Capitol Market. Free wifi, never any problems with connection. This is not a 5 star hotel, but it has everything you need when away on business.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Daniels, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I went to check in and my card wouldn't go through. I had a few more dollars on my card than what the receipt said, but the card was declining. The person at the front desk didn't tell me that there was a hidden $10 incident fee and she just kept trying to run my card like she didn't know. After I told her that I knew that I had enough to cover the room and taxes etc., then she told me about the hidden fee. I offered to pay for my room in cash and she said I couldn't do that. Finally, they let me pay the $10 incident fee in cash (they tried to make me pay $20 at first and I told them "No" and suddenly it was $10 again). They turned something simple into something very annoying and time consuming. Overall, the room was decorated nicely. It needed a good dusting and my feet turned black walking barefoot on the floor. There are no microwaves in the rooms, so I had to go downstairs to heat up my food. They had the lights turned off where the microwave was, so I had to pull out my little pocket flashlight to cook my daughter's food. Finally, they turned on the lights after my husband asked so we could eat, but then security had to keep an eye on us while we were just trying to eat our left overs. The teenager security guard (wanna be cop) with a black eye kept pacing all around while we were trying to eat. I've never felt more uncomfortable. It's best just to stay in your room.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I greatly appreciate the customer service received by Travis. I made a mistake in booking and was told by Best Western 800 number that there was nothing that could be done. As a loyal Best Western customer, I was disappointed that they would not work with me. When I called this property Travis LISTENED to my problem, and worked with me to resolve. Very much appreciated !

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Overall the facility is about what you would expect for the price point. Breakfast was hot and tasty. Fitness & Business center were clean and had good equipment. While most of the staff is friendly the desk clerk that worked 7/24/14 was rude and actually yelled at guest over by the elevator. She is teh weak link on their team

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is downtown right off the highway It is an average hotel Not super clean Not a nice atmosphere Lots of people just hanging out When we were there people were blasting rap music illegally parked in the parking lot and grilling. We parked in the lot next door at Fairfield because of all the rif raf Beware there is no parking at times and if you park in the street you have to feed the meter. It is ghetto all around Be on your toes. The breakfast was awesome lots of hot & cold items. Not clean Not new Horrible fitness center & computer center Pool is nice

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Tullahoma, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stay here often and the staff is usually very friendly and very helpful. The hot breakfast is always good. The hotel itself is starting to wear badly and it doesn't always look like it is clean. Not a bad place to stay for the money but definitely not a top of the line property.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed here on business in April for 2 days. I stayed on the second floor of this basic hotel -- there are not many great choices in Charleston, but I thought it was safe. I used the security latch on the door -- and was especially glad that I did. Around 10 pm, someone opened my door and tried to get in. I yelled and told them to back off. The front desk apologized about it and said that it was a security guard. I decided to stay another night after that explanation, and it happened again the next night about 11 pm. There really was no excuse for the first time someone tried to break into my room (whether it was a security guard or hotel staff) -- and certainly not for the next time. The hotel manager was not helpful or offered any apology. As a woman, I do not need this type of safety worries at a hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!