“Conveniently located” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Conveniently located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after a day of rafting the New River. The front desk was able to give us a map of downtown and suggest places to eat within walking distance. The parking spaces felt a little narrow. The bed was comfortable. There is one elevator which is a little slow. There were always a group of people waiting.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Lexington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Room was ok, staff was ok, but there was no hot water in my room!! Very disappointed with this, since I paid $100 for my room. Next time I will stay at the Fairfield Inn that shares the parking lot with this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Forest City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel was clean and quiet. The breakfast had good variety, and the hotel staff were pleasant and friendly.
Other reviewers complained about the inconvenience of only one elevator, but we didn't have to wait long at all for it.
The only downside to this hotel was the slightly creepy feeling hallways. Not sure what lent to it, but it might have been the paint colors and extremely tall doors. Kinda felt like a creepy hospital.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
mary a, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. I hope you will return soon.

Alexandria VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I thought this was one of my best stays of the year. Loved this hotel. They had an auto sliding door when you walk in. They had cookies in the lobby to greet you. And while the cookies had run out when we got there, they did front desk person said he would make more, which he did. Unfortunately choc chip seems to be the most popular and was gone by the time we got back to the lobby after dinner.

The service person at the front desk did an outstanding job. Informing us of the breakfast hours (6:30 - 9:30) w/out having to ask. Very efficient. He also had several recommendations for dinner w/in walking distance when we asked about that. Places do close early though. The sushi place had closed at 9 when we got there. He even mentioned the thermostat situation in the room for setting the AC.

The room had 5 nice pillows. I had brought my own, but ended up using one of theirs. Nice artwork on the walls. Thermostat for the AC so it wasn't on all night :-) Had a chair and footrest. Did have a good refr, but no microwave. There was one downstairs in the eating area you could use. I did like that they had real hangers in the closet that you could lift off the rack to put your clothes away. Love when they have that and not the little hole attached kind. Nice wall paper in the bathroom, mirror, lighting, and rounded shower rack. The toilet was amazingly quiet when you flushed it. Thought that was very nice.

Thought the breakfast was fantastic. They had egg patties, sausage, biscuits and gravy, 3 types of fruit, 3 types of juice, muffins, and even hot sauce. They only had 1 waffle maker though. They could really use 2. Since as soon as I got there, a person started using it, and I was like oh no, I wanted a waffle. So had to stand in line and wait. Then a person was in line after me. So they really need 1 more waffle maker to be more efficient.

They clover leaf shaped pool looked nice, but didn't have a chance to use it. There was a fairfield hotel next door. The pet fee at $25 was a bit steep, $10 would have been better. But was not outrageous and was happy they allow pets. Unfortunately, not all Best Westerns do, as I tried to stay at BW in Morgantown on the return trip, and they didn't allow pets. So that was annoying. The chain should consistently allow pets so I can stay in BW more frequently as I am really enjoying them.

I highly recommend Pies and Pints on Capital Street, relatively close walking distance to the hotel. They had convenient hours, staying open until 10. The manager and server were excellent and helpful. The pizza crust was very good.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 806 with 1 King bed. Very spacious room, stayed dark for sleeping. Slept very well...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the great detailed review! We appreciate all feedback and was glad you enjoyed your stay as much as you did. I hope you will return!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is one of those hotels that some people will love and others will hate. It's a bit worn around the edges but has everything you need. Kind of a blue-collar vibe, so if you need to be surrounded by the 1%, go elsewhere, but I liked that and had a number of friendly conversations with other guests.

The entrance is not elegant, sort of around the back from the street, and the lobby is nothing fancy either. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Slow elevators. Room was basic and fine. For a while the TV didn't work - it said "weak signal" or something like that - I didn't call to complain, so who knows, maybe they would have fixed it right up. "Business center" consisted of one computer, hoprelessly out of date programs, barely functional. Breakfast was OK and basic, including hot items (waffles and sausage, I think? and some discs of egg).

I was there two nights, and my room didn't get made up. When I checked out, I mentioned that to the desk person, who was really apologetic and gave me some extra BW reward points to make up for it. I also told her how bad the business center computer was, and she listened to me - not just pretending, she listened - and agreed that they needed to get an IT person to update it. And I believe she has probably done something about it by now.

The location was good for me as far as practical matters - downtown, pretty easy walk to restaurants. It's not a very attractive location, sort of in the middle of a few office buildings and a few vacant lots. Pool looked nice, but I didn't try it out. Rate was very reasonable, I thought - approx. $90.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
mary a, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your response. We have addressed the issues concerning your stay. I know we will be updating the business center very soon with a new computer.

Again, thank you and come back soon.

Mertztown, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel was very nice. We were visiting our son at school. The pool deck was very slippery when wet so be careful. The rooms were very nice, the beds comfortable and the pillows were awesome. If we visit the area again we will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you very much for the nice review. Hopefully when you visit your son again, you will choose us!

Thank you again!

Worcester, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

There are a laundry list of things that cause me to absolutely refuse to recommend this hotel.

Let's begin with, first impressions count for a lot. When we pulled into this downtown hotel, there was a family with a charcoal grill, cooking their dinner in the parking lot. The front entrance looked like we were going into some seedy establishment, with broken cement and trash littering the parking lot. Upon entering, the rugs in both the main entrance and the elevator were heavily stained, and clearly hadn't been vacuumed for some time. The lobby was nice, but the man at the desk seemed distracted, and even though we were the only ones checking in at the time, it took in a few minutes to greet us. Later on, we had a question, so we called down to the desk, and though we let it ring to 10 rings, there was no answer. We thought perhaps he was helping another customer, so we tried back, 3 different times, with the same result.

When we got off the elevator, the hallway to our room was dark, and dirty. Honestly, the only reason we didn't turn around and leave, long before this, was, we were exhausted and some of the reviews said this hotel was okay. All I wanted was to get into the room, take a nice hot bath, and relax. The room, upon first looks seemed okay, but as we looked a little closer, it was run down and dingy, the rug was stained, and the curtain was not only dirty, but torn as well. When I went into the bathroom, hoping for a nice hot bath, I found the tub to be green, and it appeared to not have been cleaned in some time.

We've stayed in dozens of Best Westerns this year, and this is by far the worst place we have stayed. It was down right disgusting, and it shouldn't hold the Best Western name.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
mary a, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I am truly sorry for all of your disappointments while staying with us. I have sent you an email and tried to call you as well. I never want a guest to leave not satisfied. We have addressed all the issues mentioned in your comments. I would love to speak to you.

304-345-9779

Been to BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!