“School Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Mertztown, United States
“School Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel was very nice. We were visiting our son at school. The pool deck was very slippery when wet so be careful. The rooms were very nice, the beds comfortable and the pillows were awesome. If we visit the area again we will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

mary a, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you very much for the nice review. Hopefully when you visit your son again, you will choose us!

Thank you again!

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Worcester, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

There are a laundry list of things that cause me to absolutely refuse to recommend this hotel.

Let's begin with, first impressions count for a lot. When we pulled into this downtown hotel, there was a family with a charcoal grill, cooking their dinner in the parking lot. The front entrance looked like we were going into some seedy establishment, with broken cement and trash littering the parking lot. Upon entering, the rugs in both the main entrance and the elevator were heavily stained, and clearly hadn't been vacuumed for some time. The lobby was nice, but the man at the desk seemed distracted, and even though we were the only ones checking in at the time, it took in a few minutes to greet us. Later on, we had a question, so we called down to the desk, and though we let it ring to 10 rings, there was no answer. We thought perhaps he was helping another customer, so we tried back, 3 different times, with the same result.

When we got off the elevator, the hallway to our room was dark, and dirty. Honestly, the only reason we didn't turn around and leave, long before this, was, we were exhausted and some of the reviews said this hotel was okay. All I wanted was to get into the room, take a nice hot bath, and relax. The room, upon first looks seemed okay, but as we looked a little closer, it was run down and dingy, the rug was stained, and the curtain was not only dirty, but torn as well. When I went into the bathroom, hoping for a nice hot bath, I found the tub to be green, and it appeared to not have been cleaned in some time.

We've stayed in dozens of Best Westerns this year, and this is by far the worst place we have stayed. It was down right disgusting, and it shouldn't hold the Best Western name.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
mary a, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I am truly sorry for all of your disappointments while staying with us. I have sent you an email and tried to call you as well. I never want a guest to leave not satisfied. We have addressed all the issues mentioned in your comments. I would love to speak to you.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The room was satisfactory but the hotel was a bit dated. The staff were not the most friendly but my wife and I did not have any bad experiences. Would stay here if I travel in this area again but I don't see this likely in the near future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am terribly sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I have talked to all staff concerning customer service and ensuring everyone enjoys their stay with us. If you would like to talk more, I would love to talk to you.

NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here Sunday night 8-25-13 while returning from a bass tournament on Lake Erie. This hotel is right off of the interstate. Even though it is downtown the connecting parking lot had plenty of room for our two 40 plus foot rigs. I booked two king rooms at only $89.00 per night per room which I thought was a very good price. The rooms were very spacious and very clean. The bathrooms were nice, the ac control was in a regular control box on the wall, the TV had a perfect picture, the shower was hot and strong, they even had the towels on a rack at the back of the shower which I thought was nice. The room had a fridge that was nicely concealed in the cabinet under the TV. At 11:00 pm a security guard locked the front door so the only way in was a call box or a room key. The morning breakfast was very good and the breakfast area was nicely spacious. When we left out in the am it was a straight shot back to the interstate. Without a doubt I have found the perfect future stop for our trips from NC to Ohio.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your great comments! We appreciate any and all feedback. There will be a Bass fishing Event going on in Charleston June of 2014! Maybe we will see you then!

Thank you again!

Sixmilebridge, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is well located within walking distance of the city centre and is just a short drive off the interstate. The rooms are clean and well appointed and the beds were comfortable. There is a good selection of items available for breakfast, and the staff were very helpful and friendly during our week-long stay. The laundrette is located in the hotel adjacent and we availed regularly of the clean outdoor swimming pool. The only downside is the extremely slow internet in the business centre and the elevator, which is not much faster. However, neither of these issues would prevent me from staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
mary a, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your nice words about our property. We do hope you will return soon! Enjoy what is left of the summer, if you ever need anything, please do not hesitate to contact me.

HARLEYSVILLE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was a little apprehensive after seeing some of the earlier reviews but I had no issues. Site quality and value were excellent. Clean room, everything worked. Parking was a little wonky but any in-city facility will be. Your motorhome will not fit; a full-size pickup is no problem. I would return without hesitation. Easy walking distance to downtown and the 'Live on the Levee' amphitheater venue.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

mary a, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments. I am glad we met your expectations! I hope you will return. Live on the Levee is a great time! I hope to see you back next summer! Blake Shelton is coming soon, hopefully more concerts in Charleston soon!

West Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had to stay four nights. My room was not clean upon arrival nor was it cleaned throughout the week. It was convenient for me to attend training. I will not stay at this hotel again. It is a sketchy place to say the least.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I would love to make it up to you. If you would like to call or email me, I would like to make up for your bad experience.

Please contact me at anytime.

Marya@swhm.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!