“A Good Value In An Okay Area” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6305 MacCorkle Avenue Southeast, Charleston, WV 25304   |
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Alexandria, VA
“A Good Value In An Okay Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I arranged for my wife, our dog and I to stay here on the way back from a road trip to Kentucky. My wife, who is by no means a “hotel snob” felt a slightly uncomfortable vibe, remarking that she probably won’t stay here if she were a single female. While I would concede that the immediate area was downscale, the selection of eateries and other hotels (including a couple of “three-star” properties) made this a serviceable exception in my eyes.

We had reserved an accessible “Superior King”accessible room which we saw was recently renovated. The one main design flaw we noted was that the space between the foot of the bed and the drawers on which the TV rested were relatively slim. It was a bit difficult for her to get her rollator through towards the bathroom; it could have been that much tougher for those in a wheelchair or scooter.

Speaking of the bathroom, we unfortunately discovered an issue with draining the toilet. The front desk agent John, after an earnest attempt to unclog the toilet, moved us from our “Superior King” accessible room to the “Premium King” accessible room immediately next door at no extra charge. There was a bit more room to move the rollator through in comparison as well as a few enhanced amenities.

Although my wife wasn’t particularly thrilled with the neighborhood, I would have no problem staying at this convenient and clean property again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I don't usually use Red Roof's frequently, but they had the best rate in the area as we were traveling through town. The room was recently renovated and was great! Laminate flooring gave it a much cleaner feel than carpet! It was close to good food options as well. I was disappointed that there was no free breakfast, but they do offer a snack box for each room, and for the price, you can't beat it.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room, as they are not completely done remodeling.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Boone, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This must be one of the best values around. It was full or close to it with lots of construction workers part of the group. Still it was quiet, clean and all that was advertised. The rooms are 100% non-smoking with a sizeable fine if caught so all the smokers stand outside and smoke. This place has two stories but no elevators and the doors open to the outside walkways. Not much parking for oversized vehicles. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you cannot carry bags up the outside steps, ask for a ground floor room. There is no elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Lapeer, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

right off the freeway good price! the area is Ok at best alot going on around there.... lots of resturants in the area room was clean price was decent would stay here again... hope this helps you out...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We appreciate you choosing Red Roof Inn for your travel needs. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you the next time you travel through Charleston.
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Clean, well stocked, nice Single King room. A/C worked..quietly! Stay was efficient and pleasant even as I was a walk-in at about midnight. I would stay again any time for a $75-under a night lodging.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We always want to hear from our guest. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you the next time you travel to Charleston.
Mentor, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. It was dirty, the remote control didn't have a back (it was all taped up) and the bathrooms are straight out of the 70's. We were afraid to even leave our room because the people staying there were so shady. I certainly didn't expect the Hilton for $60 a night but I did expect clean. We were scheduled to stay another night and canceled because it was so gross and scary.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
First thing let me apologize for you having such a bad experience. I'm confused by what happened during your stay and would ask if you could call the property so I can get some additional information. We are newly renovated and just upgraded our TV system with new remote controls in every room. This is why I'm confused. I went back through each room and have been unable to find the remote that was taped up. I have addressed these issues with my staff and explained the importance of making sure all rooms are clean and have working remotes. This is not Red Roof Inn's standards. Our goal is that all guest leave feeling rested and comfortable with their stay. Again please contact me at your convenience for further information. I would like to ask if you are ever back in Charleston you would give us a chance to better serve you.
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Two of my motorcycle buddies and I stayed here for 2 nights in June during a 2,500 mile cycle trip. The staff was most helpful (especially Sherry) when one of our bikes had mechanical problems. We spent more time at the hotel than on the road during our stay because of a flat tire, and we were still able to enjoy ourselves. Thanks again for a great stay during a not-so-great repair time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your travel. I'm glad Sherry was able to help in your time of need, she is a wonderful asset to our team. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are staying in the Charleston area.

Been to Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City? Share your experiences!