“change of heart” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Chicago, Illinois
“change of heart”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had wrote a review 2 months ago about my stay at this hotel, it was a very bad review. I was just there 10/11/13, I checked in at around 4pm, the lady at the front desk was very nice and made me feel welcome a big change from the last visit. The room was very nice and clean, check in time about 2 min and same for check out a big change will stay if I return to the area.

BL Chicago

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for giving us another chance. I'm so glad your stay was such an improvement from the last time. We have several new staff members and we strive to improve on this each day. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope you will stay again.

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Greenville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have to say the staff and service was great which I appreciated and it was a generally clean room. My only problems were that despite advertising being smoke-free, my room reeked of old cigarette smoke. I appreciated the free pet policy as I had my cat with me but she did come home with fleas that she definitely didn't have before, but I suppose that's just a risk of a pet-welcoming hotel. Very close to the freeway, a little hard to find but if you need something basic, this works.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
I'm so sorry to hear that your experience wasn't pleasant. We do accept pets and even strip each room completely after our pet friends check out to eliminate the chance of flees and allergies. We are 100% non-smoking unfortunately like hospitals we also have some unruly guest that doesn’t want to follow the rules. When this happens we do have procedures to eliminate the odor from the rooms, we strip the entire room, shampoo the carpet, clean the drapes, and place a fogger in the room to rid the room of any left-over smoke odor. We then hold the guest accountable for the fees of having to clean the room of smoke by charging them a fee of $200. We try our best to keep guest from smoking in our rooms. I do apologize that your room still had the odor left behind. I will address this with my housekeeping staff to make sure they are double checking such rooms for the comfort of our guest.
Marietta, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The check in process was quick and courteous. The room looked at though it had been recently painted. I was a bit disappointed that I was not informed that that WIFI was out of service when we checked in. However, The staff was very apologetic when I called to get the log in information. While we were watching TV I saw a medium sized cockroach crawl up the wall. This made me uncomfortable the rest of my stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Please accept my apologies for failing to notify you about the Wi-Fi at check in. It is our responsibility to make sure all guest were aware of the issues we were having and that should have never happened. If you could let me know what room you were in I will have my exterminator check the room for any unwanted pest you seen. We do treat our rooms every month, and our exterminator has a guarantee that we won't have roaches so, I need to report this to them. My apologies for causing you to lose sleep. Please if you ever see something like that while staying at a Red Roof Inn call the front desk and we will make sure it is taken care of for you, even if we need to move you to another room and inspect it with you to make sure you are comfortable staying with us. If you are ever back in the Charleston area we would like another chance to better serve you.
VENICE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I can't say enough nice things about the staff that work at this location, the rooms are newly updated and the location is very convenient. Unfortunately the Internet service went down shortly after we checked in for a 2 night stay. The front desk personnel were sincerely working to get the service back in operation but they commented that this has been a reoccurring problem and they weren't getting the support to get it resolved.

I've stayed at this property many times in the past years but I had to check out early because Red Roof customer service and the ISP provider were very indifferent when I called to see if the service would be repaired during the second day of our stay.

My compliant isn't with this location but with the Red Roof Inn Redi-Card Customer Service and the ISP technical support. I phoned both of these contacts and I feel that neither one of them cared to much about thier roles in customer service.

Room Tip: If you definitely need Internet service.....consider a different motel chain.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
First let me say I understand your frustration. We had a two week span where the internet was not working. I believe we have resolved the issues and our internet is back up and running. Please accept my sincerest apologies for our Redicard department’s lack of consideration. We pride ourselves on our customer service and take personal responsibility for them not giving that during your conversation. My apologies for any inconvenience this caused your stay. I hope you will give us another try in the future
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a typical Red Roof Inn. A little hard to find off the interstate, you need to go to the Bob Evans restaurant, or at least head that way. Once you are at the Bob Evans restaurant, it is past it and behind some other building. Not visible from the main drag.

This is a no frills place. However, the rates are very reasonable. I got the Senior rate, there may be others.

The rooms are pretty clean and seem to be updated. The rooms face the parking lot, so no indoor corridors. You get the minimum essential room at a very good rate. Check-in and out was fast, and the bed was comfortable. The shower and vanity were very good. The TV had hbo and was pretty decent. The big drawback is that some rooms face a major highway, and the road noise could be disturbing to some light sleepers. So beware of that one caveat.

You don't have a gym, swimming pool or on-site restaurant. No food, just a good bed and room. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the highway when you get your room, face the center courtyard
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again the next time you are in Charleston.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while working in the area. It is located close to several places to eat within walking distance. The rooms were clean and beds were comfy. The rooms are average hotel rooms, nothing fancy but well maintained. I will definitely stay here again if I am in the area looking for a nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We do have all new pillow-top beds and all new rooms. I'm glad we were able to provide you with a comfortable room to stay in while away from home. Look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel is very convenient to the highway with easy on and off which was for me since Charleston wasn't my final destination. I was a little concerned because I've not had good luck with Red Roof Inns in the past but it was late at night and I needed to sleep. It was a good choice. Rooms have exterior doors in case that bothers you. The billboard on the highway said "all new rooms," and mine was very nice; quite an upgrade from my previous experiences with this chain. It had a boutique hotel feel to it and included a refrigerator and microwave which was a bonus. Bed was very comfortable with upgraded linens.

Not sure why others are giving the hotel low ratings, it was a good choice and I was pleasantly surprised. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm pleased you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms. We have added micro-fridge's to all of our rooms for our guest convenience. I hope to see you the next time you are in our area.

Been to Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City? Share your experiences!