“Good place, no frills, just a hotel room.” 3 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6305 MacCorkle Avenue Southeast, Charleston, WV 25304   |
Ranked #10 of 23 hotels in Charleston
USA
“Good place, no frills, just a hotel room.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a typical Red Roof Inn. A little hard to find off the interstate, you need to go to the Bob Evans restaurant, or at least head that way. Once you are at the Bob Evans restaurant, it is past it and behind some other building. Not visible from the main drag.

This is a no frills place. However, the rates are very reasonable. I got the Senior rate, there may be others.

The rooms are pretty clean and seem to be updated. The rooms face the parking lot, so no indoor corridors. You get the minimum essential room at a very good rate. Check-in and out was fast, and the bed was comfortable. The shower and vanity were very good. The TV had hbo and was pretty decent. The big drawback is that some rooms face a major highway, and the road noise could be disturbing to some light sleepers. So beware of that one caveat.

You don't have a gym, swimming pool or on-site restaurant. No food, just a good bed and room. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the highway when you get your room, face the center courtyard
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again the next time you are in Charleston.

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while working in the area. It is located close to several places to eat within walking distance. The rooms were clean and beds were comfy. The rooms are average hotel rooms, nothing fancy but well maintained. I will definitely stay here again if I am in the area looking for a nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We do have all new pillow-top beds and all new rooms. I'm glad we were able to provide you with a comfortable room to stay in while away from home. Look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel is very convenient to the highway with easy on and off which was for me since Charleston wasn't my final destination. I was a little concerned because I've not had good luck with Red Roof Inns in the past but it was late at night and I needed to sleep. It was a good choice. Rooms have exterior doors in case that bothers you. The billboard on the highway said "all new rooms," and mine was very nice; quite an upgrade from my previous experiences with this chain. It had a boutique hotel feel to it and included a refrigerator and microwave which was a bonus. Bed was very comfortable with upgraded linens.

Not sure why others are giving the hotel low ratings, it was a good choice and I was pleasantly surprised. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm pleased you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms. We have added micro-fridge's to all of our rooms for our guest convenience. I hope to see you the next time you are in our area.
central Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Staff & management are okay, even housekeeping. Door keys (electronic) did not work &had to be replaced 4 times. Door locks were "iffy", but are supposed to be scheduled for repair in September. Might become a good place to stay someday.

Room Tip: See some other motel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
First allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your lock. We have had an upgrade on the lock system and it seems to have taken care of the issue. I hope you will give us another chance the next time you are through the Charleston area. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Watford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

When I booked this hotel I was swayed by the advertising for the fresh appeal of the rooms on their website, which looked really nice. Our room on the other hand did not live up to the hype. There was a large circular patch of paint that had come away from the ceiling and one of the sockets was loose on the wall. The room was dingy and had about as much appeal as a nuclear bunker. It was a depressing place to stay. I honestly don't know how they could rent out this room (121) without any apology.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for the popcorn coming down in your room. We have a few rooms this has happened in and we are investigating what is causing it. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We try to keep these rooms out of order. I will look into why that wasn't the case during your stay. I hope you will give us another chance to better serve you the next time you are in our area.
Schellsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel was recently renovated and it shows. The rooms were very clean and fresh. The beds were comfortable. There has no breakfast at this hotel. The tv channels are very limited unless you get the superior king rooms. The internet is very bad here and at times have trouble just sending an email. However this hotel is 100% smoke free and for me that is a big deal. All the linens and towels were clean along with the room. The staff has always been very helpful and nice. I asked about the internet and was told they are trying to get out of their current contract to get a better internet so hopefully that will happen soon. As far as the hotel itself it is very nice in the rooms and the TV's have all been upgraded to flat screens. I would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be pretty good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate all of your kind words. We are working with our corporate office to improve our internet carrier and channels and apologize that it didn't meet your expectations. We are 100% nonsmoking and that has been a big hit with our guest. We're glad you like it as well. I hope to see you on your return trip to Charleston.
Lewisburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

we were staying at another motel near this red roof inn and there were bug problems. I called sherry and she gave us a price that was about the same as the other. the quality of the red roof inn was 200% better. I just want to thank sherry for being so nice and helpful.i will recommend this location to others.
thanks, tom hines

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for letting us know how courteous Sherry was during your stay. I'm glad we could accommodate your family. If you’re ever in Charleston again we hope to see you again.

Been to Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City? Share your experiences!