“Good choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel is very convenient to the highway with easy on and off which was for me since Charleston wasn't my final destination. I was a little concerned because I've not had good luck with Red Roof Inns in the past but it was late at night and I needed to sleep. It was a good choice. Rooms have exterior doors in case that bothers you. The billboard on the highway said "all new rooms," and mine was very nice; quite an upgrade from my previous experiences with this chain. It had a boutique hotel feel to it and included a refrigerator and microwave which was a bonus. Bed was very comfortable with upgraded linens.

Not sure why others are giving the hotel low ratings, it was a good choice and I was pleasantly surprised. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm pleased you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms. We have added micro-fridge's to all of our rooms for our guest convenience. I hope to see you the next time you are in our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
central Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Staff & management are okay, even housekeeping. Door keys (electronic) did not work &had to be replaced 4 times. Door locks were "iffy", but are supposed to be scheduled for repair in September. Might become a good place to stay someday.

Room Tip: See some other motel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
First allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your lock. We have had an upgrade on the lock system and it seems to have taken care of the issue. I hope you will give us another chance the next time you are through the Charleston area. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Watford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

When I booked this hotel I was swayed by the advertising for the fresh appeal of the rooms on their website, which looked really nice. Our room on the other hand did not live up to the hype. There was a large circular patch of paint that had come away from the ceiling and one of the sockets was loose on the wall. The room was dingy and had about as much appeal as a nuclear bunker. It was a depressing place to stay. I honestly don't know how they could rent out this room (121) without any apology.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for the popcorn coming down in your room. We have a few rooms this has happened in and we are investigating what is causing it. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We try to keep these rooms out of order. I will look into why that wasn't the case during your stay. I hope you will give us another chance to better serve you the next time you are in our area.
Schellsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel was recently renovated and it shows. The rooms were very clean and fresh. The beds were comfortable. There has no breakfast at this hotel. The tv channels are very limited unless you get the superior king rooms. The internet is very bad here and at times have trouble just sending an email. However this hotel is 100% smoke free and for me that is a big deal. All the linens and towels were clean along with the room. The staff has always been very helpful and nice. I asked about the internet and was told they are trying to get out of their current contract to get a better internet so hopefully that will happen soon. As far as the hotel itself it is very nice in the rooms and the TV's have all been upgraded to flat screens. I would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be pretty good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate all of your kind words. We are working with our corporate office to improve our internet carrier and channels and apologize that it didn't meet your expectations. We are 100% nonsmoking and that has been a big hit with our guest. We're glad you like it as well. I hope to see you on your return trip to Charleston.
Lewisburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

we were staying at another motel near this red roof inn and there were bug problems. I called sherry and she gave us a price that was about the same as the other. the quality of the red roof inn was 200% better. I just want to thank sherry for being so nice and helpful.i will recommend this location to others.
thanks, tom hines

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for letting us know how courteous Sherry was during your stay. I'm glad we could accommodate your family. If you’re ever in Charleston again we hope to see you again.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Dog friendly, good green space to walk them. Mexican restaurant within walking distance was good for dinner. Clean and friendly. Not luxurious by any means but safe and affordable on a long trip with dogs.

• Stayed July 2013
We appreciate you and your dog staying with us and hope you will stop in again. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
Salisbury, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed their in August while we was visiting friends for the weekend.it was me and my familyand our dog. The rooms was redone and nice all though the plaster was coming off the ceiling in spots still very nice place . restaurants wad close by and they are pet friendly with no pet fee ...we will stay there again when we come in to visit friends...

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for the popcorn coming down in your room. We have found a few rooms doing this. We are repairing them and looking into why this has happened. I hope the next time you travel in to visit you will stay with is again.

Been to Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City? Share your experiences!