“Had a great stay, new rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6305 MacCorkle Avenue Southeast, Charleston, WV 25304   |
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Warren, Ohio, United States
“Had a great stay, new rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed here on our way home from Maggi Valley NC, price was great, rooms new and resturant locations great. staff was very friendly, enjoyed the stay Pizza and sub place close to hotel lobby, Texas steak house, great prices and the Ihop has some of the best waiters, especially Steven T that I have ever had waited on me

Room Tip: always get superior king
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on your recent visit to the Charleston area. We are located near several restaurants within walking distance. I'm glad you were able to appreciate them during your stay. We appreciate you choosing Red Roof Inn and hope to see you soon on a return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Aiken, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This place could be better for sure. I was not surprised on the condition of the place but feel a lot of the problems here are with the management. The room was only partially clean. I had to sweep off salt grains from the table. Toilet paper roll was almost empty and the one spare looked like it was one they found hiding in a cupboard as it was beaten up and dirty.
The rest of the amenities were minimal and not very impressive. My biggest beef is most important as it deals with my morning coffee. I was told I could get coffee at 5:30AM. But then I try for this only to find a locked office door. Later one girl who said I could get this 5:30 coffee acted as surprised when I could not while the other girl who was on duty that time said she was "too busy" to make coffee. Of course I sit thinking, "Too busy to do your job." How sad. Then she even says, "Besides you are not suppose to get coffee at 5:30AM" Even though the other girl who said I could was standing right there. Then to top this off, Red Roof has a weird idea about charging for safe usage, even if you do not want the safe. Why is this? You guys have a little security guy inside that safe guarding my stuff? Then I told them NOT to charge me for this safe, and they did anyway. That is crazy! There was a motel 6 right next door. If I am in this area again (since it is a nice location at least) I would prefer the motel 6 next time.

Room Tip: Go to the Motel 6 next door.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for bringing this incident to our attention. I can assure you that I will address this with my staff. At Red Roof Inn we offer 24 hour coffee, my staff should never be too busy to do their job. I apologize for the unprofessional way the problem was handled by the staff and want you to know this too will be addressed. I do offer my sincerest apologies for your unfortunate experience and hope that you will allow us to make this right and visit us again for future lodging needs.
Richmond, VA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We give it a 3 1/2 rating rounded up to 4 because of value and location. Easy access to I64/I77. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Beds were comfortable and had minimum amount of outside noise. (We were not on the highway side.) The room was acceptably clean, the wood laminate floors felt gritty to bare feet but had no visible dirt. The room was reasonably new with a bowed shower curtain but bathroom tub and commode were not new. Note that you will be charged for a safe unless you tell the front desk that you did not use it. Wendy's is just beside them and there are other options close by. They have coffee and tea in the lobby. We stayed only for the night on our way through and would definitely do it again for the same situation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on your recent visit to the Charleston area. We appreciate you choosing Red Roof Inn. If you ever forget to tell us about the safe you do have 60 days to call back and we will be more than glad to remove it from your bill. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon on a return visit.
Clayton, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The area looked a little questionable BUT once inside the Hotel we were pleasingly surprised!! LOVE what the RR has done with it's flooring..no overpowering odors trying to cover up pet odors in carpet...why?? NO MORE CARPET!! Floor was beautiful wood-look laminate or some other material that was absolutely beautiful and makes so much sense in a hotel - especially one that welcomes fur people!! We did an upgrade to a Premium King Room - Wow!! Another surprise for a Red Roof Inn...beautiful fixtures, granite countertop and countertop sink. It was just beautiful - immaculately cleaned. Will stop here again no doubt!! My only complaint - Free WiFi is advertised but signal was not strong enough to drive any of our devices. Had to use my hot spot on my phone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I'm so glad you enjoyed our new rooms. The premium rooms are a new addition to our property; we are getting a lot of great reviews on them. I look forward to seeing you the next time your travel through Charleston.
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our group was on a road trip on motorcycles and stayed at 5 different hotels while on our trip. This Red Roof Inn had the very best service by far. Connie was the clerk who checked us in and she was so welcoming and extremely helpful! A couple of the people traveling with us had an emergency and had to head home early. We thought they lose the money for the room because they were not able to give a 24 hour notice to cancel. Connie did all of the work to help us get a refund even though we booked through a third party site...even dialing the phone for me. Then, even though the hotel was almost full, she was able to work her magic and move us around so that our rooms would be closer together...and she had us park right in front of the office so our bikes would not be bothered by anyone. She was awesome!! The rooms were comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience, and the hospitality Connie showed during your stay. Connie always goes out of her way to help our guest. We take pride in making our guest feel at home while staying with us. We appreciate your business and hope to see you on your next trip through Charleston.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place is the pits, I stayed there for 6 nights about a week ago 6/2013, my room was never cleaned properly, I complained to the desk clerk and it did not make any difference. I wanted to check out and get another hotel but they were booked because of the states birthday that week (6/17/2013), also be aware of the safe charge it is put on your bill when you check in and if you don't tell them that you did not use the safe you will be charged. I have stayed at other Red Roof Inns none as bad as this one in Charleston.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
I wanted to apologize for the unpleasant experience you had during your stay with us in Charleston. I want you to know I take our guests concerns seriously. I will address this issue with my staff. We do offer a safe in each room and if you don't use the safe just let us know at check out. If you forget to tell us at checkout you have 60 days to call us back and we will gladly take this off your bill. Please let me know if you were charged for the safe and I will gladly remove it from your bill, we don't want anyone to pay for the safe if they didn't use it. Again I do apologize for your room not being cleaned properly during your stay, and hope the next time you are in Charleston you will give us a chance to better serve you.
Maumee, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We came to this hotel looking for 2 rooms after driving over 13 hours. Sadly when we arrived we found out the hotel was completely sold out along with all other hotels in the area due to the 150th birthday of West Virginia. Fortunately, a lovely work named Connie asked us some questions and helped us find 2 rooms at a Red Roof about 1 hour North of Charleston and helped us make reservation so we would be guaranteed our rooms. While we were making our reservations she even offered us coffee so we would stay awake on our additional drive. This service was above what I have received in years-- it has restored my faith that kind people still exist.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We appreciate you letting us know about your trip to Charleston. I'm so sorry we didn't have accommodations for you and your family. I'm so glad Connie was able to get you a place to stay.
Connie is a great asset to our company and she takes great pride in helping our guest. We hope to see you the next time your travel brings you through Charleston.

Been to Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City? Share your experiences!