“B L in Chicago” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Chicago, Illinois
“B L in Chicago”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place is the pits, I stayed there for 6 nights about a week ago 6/2013, my room was never cleaned properly, I complained to the desk clerk and it did not make any difference. I wanted to check out and get another hotel but they were booked because of the states birthday that week (6/17/2013), also be aware of the safe charge it is put on your bill when you check in and if you don't tell them that you did not use the safe you will be charged. I have stayed at other Red Roof Inns none as bad as this one in Charleston.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I wanted to apologize for the unpleasant experience you had during your stay with us in Charleston. I want you to know I take our guests concerns seriously. I will address this issue with my staff. We do offer a safe in each room and if you don't use the safe just let us know at check out. If you forget to tell us at checkout you have 60 days to call us back and we will gladly take this off your bill. Please let me know if you were charged for the safe and I will gladly remove it from your bill, we don't want anyone to pay for the safe if they didn't use it. Again I do apologize for your room not being cleaned properly during your stay, and hope the next time you are in Charleston you will give us a chance to better serve you.

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Maumee, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We came to this hotel looking for 2 rooms after driving over 13 hours. Sadly when we arrived we found out the hotel was completely sold out along with all other hotels in the area due to the 150th birthday of West Virginia. Fortunately, a lovely work named Connie asked us some questions and helped us find 2 rooms at a Red Roof about 1 hour North of Charleston and helped us make reservation so we would be guaranteed our rooms. While we were making our reservations she even offered us coffee so we would stay awake on our additional drive. This service was above what I have received in years-- it has restored my faith that kind people still exist.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We appreciate you letting us know about your trip to Charleston. I'm so sorry we didn't have accommodations for you and your family. I'm so glad Connie was able to get you a place to stay.
Connie is a great asset to our company and she takes great pride in helping our guest. We hope to see you the next time your travel brings you through Charleston.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Lovely rooms with everything you need. Staff is friendly and welcoming. An incredible value! We will definitely stay here again and will even go a bit out of our way to stay at this Red Roof. We have stayed at much more expensive motels along the way on our travels and this motel exceeds any of them. It is very clean and comfortable. Also, all rooms are no smoking so they smell nice.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. I'm glad you enjoyed the new room and our new non-smoking feature. We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel through the Charleston area.
Lake Norman, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Red Roof Inn chain has undergone quite a few changes over the last years, and this NextGen remodel is one of the best makeovers I’ve experienced in a budget motel. Clean, streamlined rooms that did away with the typical motel carpeting and replaced it by more sanitary, laminate flooring; a new, subdued color scheme, modern furniture, crisp linens and a bedspread I would proudly use in my own home. Wi-Fi access was good, the room had a refrigerator and a microwave, but it was missing a hair dryer! We did not need one urgently, so we did not bother asking if one was available at the front desk, but if you rely on a hair dryer, bring your own or ask about it ahead of time. Coffee was available in the lobby. Definitely a feel-good place for a fair price, especially if you don’t need any extra amenities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. We do offer hair dryers in our Superior King room or our Premium King room, however the rest of our rooms do not. We do keep a stock of them at the front desk if needed. So always let us know ahead of time and we will make sure one is left in the room for you. I'm so glad you enjoyed our new rooms and hope when traveling you will choose Red Roof Inn again.
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We recently stayed here on the way to a family funeral. We only needed a hotel for a few hours sleep and didn't want to pay for our regular hotel chain's prices. We picked this hotel based on reviews and the location.

While it said newly renovated, the lounge chair had been drawn all over in permanent marker, the desk chair had gum on it (which was still tacky) and the toilet ran all night long.

The bathroom could use some better cleaning, so we chose not to shower there, but rather wait until we checked into our hotel at our destination.

The beds were comfortable though, and there was little road noise.

We felt safe in the room as well.

Now, the best thing about this hotel was DEBRA at the front desk. Super sweet!!! When I told her about the toilet and the gum, she was very apologetic and gave us a small discount. She asked about our trip, and when I told her we were going to our grandfather's funeral, she was so kind and sympathetic...and even asked to give me a hug. I appreciated her genuineness and kindness...which made this hotel stay worth it.

If you are looking for a budget hotel that is decent, this may be the ticket for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I wanted to thank you for sharing your concerns and apologize for the room not being prepared properly for your arrival. I will address this with my staff. I would like to offer my condolence for the loss of your grandfather. I appreciate the nice comments about Debra she is a very valued employee. I can count on her to take great care of our guest. I hope if you ever find yourself back in the Charleston area you will give us a second chance.
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

we booked online because of the good reviews. We stayed for two days and got a discounted rate. The check in was quick and the front desk person was very pleasant. Our assigned room was not ready when we brought the bags up and they quickly got us sorted into another room. We got a room on the 2nd floor facing away from the highway and there was very little road noise even thought the property is backing onto the highway. The door was sticking when you closed it so you had to pull it to get it to latch, but it was secure when the deabolt was in place so we didn't feel unsafe at all. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We had a microwave/fridge and just heated up a deli chicken for dinner one night and had the leftovers for lunch, the next day. There was hot and flavourful coffee in the lobby in the morning, you could get coffee in your room if you got the King Suite. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Wendy's away from the stair wells.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell about your stay with us. We appreciate you letting us know about your stay. I apologize for the door lock not working properly. I will address this with my staff and make sure all locks are in working order. We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to Charleston
Albany, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was welcomed by Sherry who went out of her way to let me book in early since I had spent the night on a train from Chicago. The room was clean and well maintained with a fridge and microwave. The bed was comfortable and the pillows soft. Despite being close to a highway there was no road noise. Disable friendly bathroom was fantastic. I cannot find any reason to complain about the hotel or the staff. Plenty of restaurants close by.

Room Tip: Disability access room needed make sure you tell them when you book. They are amply adequate.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on your recent visit to the Charleston area. We appreciate you choosing Red Roof Inn and hope to see you soon on a return visit.

Been to Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City? Share your experiences!