“They truly have raised the roof!” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6305 MacCorkle Avenue Southeast, Charleston, WV 25304   |
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Lake Norman, North Carolina
“They truly have raised the roof!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Red Roof Inn chain has undergone quite a few changes over the last years, and this NextGen remodel is one of the best makeovers I’ve experienced in a budget motel. Clean, streamlined rooms that did away with the typical motel carpeting and replaced it by more sanitary, laminate flooring; a new, subdued color scheme, modern furniture, crisp linens and a bedspread I would proudly use in my own home. Wi-Fi access was good, the room had a refrigerator and a microwave, but it was missing a hair dryer! We did not need one urgently, so we did not bother asking if one was available at the front desk, but if you rely on a hair dryer, bring your own or ask about it ahead of time. Coffee was available in the lobby. Definitely a feel-good place for a fair price, especially if you don’t need any extra amenities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We do offer hair dryers in our Superior King room or our Premium King room, however the rest of our rooms do not. We do keep a stock of them at the front desk if needed. So always let us know ahead of time and we will make sure one is left in the room for you. I'm so glad you enjoyed our new rooms and hope when traveling you will choose Red Roof Inn again.

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We recently stayed here on the way to a family funeral. We only needed a hotel for a few hours sleep and didn't want to pay for our regular hotel chain's prices. We picked this hotel based on reviews and the location.

While it said newly renovated, the lounge chair had been drawn all over in permanent marker, the desk chair had gum on it (which was still tacky) and the toilet ran all night long.

The bathroom could use some better cleaning, so we chose not to shower there, but rather wait until we checked into our hotel at our destination.

The beds were comfortable though, and there was little road noise.

We felt safe in the room as well.

Now, the best thing about this hotel was DEBRA at the front desk. Super sweet!!! When I told her about the toilet and the gum, she was very apologetic and gave us a small discount. She asked about our trip, and when I told her we were going to our grandfather's funeral, she was so kind and sympathetic...and even asked to give me a hug. I appreciated her genuineness and kindness...which made this hotel stay worth it.

If you are looking for a budget hotel that is decent, this may be the ticket for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I wanted to thank you for sharing your concerns and apologize for the room not being prepared properly for your arrival. I will address this with my staff. I would like to offer my condolence for the loss of your grandfather. I appreciate the nice comments about Debra she is a very valued employee. I can count on her to take great care of our guest. I hope if you ever find yourself back in the Charleston area you will give us a second chance.
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

we booked online because of the good reviews. We stayed for two days and got a discounted rate. The check in was quick and the front desk person was very pleasant. Our assigned room was not ready when we brought the bags up and they quickly got us sorted into another room. We got a room on the 2nd floor facing away from the highway and there was very little road noise even thought the property is backing onto the highway. The door was sticking when you closed it so you had to pull it to get it to latch, but it was secure when the deabolt was in place so we didn't feel unsafe at all. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We had a microwave/fridge and just heated up a deli chicken for dinner one night and had the leftovers for lunch, the next day. There was hot and flavourful coffee in the lobby in the morning, you could get coffee in your room if you got the King Suite. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Wendy's away from the stair wells.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell about your stay with us. We appreciate you letting us know about your stay. I apologize for the door lock not working properly. I will address this with my staff and make sure all locks are in working order. We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to Charleston
Albany, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was welcomed by Sherry who went out of her way to let me book in early since I had spent the night on a train from Chicago. The room was clean and well maintained with a fridge and microwave. The bed was comfortable and the pillows soft. Despite being close to a highway there was no road noise. Disable friendly bathroom was fantastic. I cannot find any reason to complain about the hotel or the staff. Plenty of restaurants close by.

Room Tip: Disability access room needed make sure you tell them when you book. They are amply adequate.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on your recent visit to the Charleston area. We appreciate you choosing Red Roof Inn and hope to see you soon on a return visit.
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Close to the highway, but had no noise in the room. Staff at the front desk was VERY friendly. Room was decorated nicely, bed/pillows were comfy. Had many channels available on the TV. Room was clean and smoke free. It was a little bit of a tight squeeze in the bathroom to shut the door, but everything functioned well. Just what I needed for a night and the price what right, too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great comments. We value your business and look forward to seeing you on a return trip to the Charleston area.
Denver, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed here in Oct 12, and gave them my return business. The list of maintenance items is long: Face plate on bathroom switch tighten, towel bar tighten, clean gold (shampoo?) stuff off shower walls, clean tooth paste of counter and door frame, take old water bottle out of frig, replace the (already unplugged) humming clock radio, clean dust off bathroom fan vent, replace toilet seat that has newsprint stuck on it, replace toilet that has an ugly rust spot at the bottom, pick up coins on floor (.16), clean dust off microwave, and get room safe open. When I arrived the desk phone was ringing, and ringing, and then appears the desk agent on a personal call, to answer the phone and take note of arrival. No, directions to the room, or services (I do not drink coffee, but in the fall his was all covered). Very disappointed in this stay, and the "oh well" response by morning desk staff (guess they figured I would not be writing this). To the remodel, seems to be paint and sheets?

Room Tip: Humm...... I would inpect the room before taking bags in. I have been both on the inside and outsi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
First I would like to apologize for the condition of your room and the way it was handled at check out. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about it. I see you stayed with us back in October. Since then we have went through a new renovation and almost a whole new staff. We do take great pride in our outstanding customer service and hope we can win your confidence back.
Bristol, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel is so very nice. The rooms are so fresh, clean and comfortable. This place has just been renovated, and they did a FANTASTIC JOB. From the minute I entered the lobby the two front desk clerks Sherry and Connie were so pleasant and friendly. The location is great, I love the fact that there are several dining options for me that are within walking distance. I will spread the word. Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City has it GOING ON !! I highly recommend it !!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm pleased that Connie and Sherry were able to make your stay a pleasant one. We appreciate you spreading the word for us and look forward to your return trip.

Been to Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City? Share your experiences!