“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Buffalo NY
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was my first time in WV. It was my first stop on a long road trip. I have never had a problem with Marriott and this was no exception. I don't know anything about Charleston so I cannot comment on location. But I was glad to see the Marriott Town Center right there. When you're traveling alone you can't go wrong with a mall! Front desk staff were very nice. My favorite part was the bedding. Lots of pillows and thick bedding, just the way I like it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for your very positive remarks in regards to your stay. It is our pleasure to serve you and our most important aspect of what we do is service. It is always great to hear that you were treated as the valuable guest that you are. I will certainly share your comments with the staff as they are the ones day in and day out that make your stay so pleasant. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our hotel for outstanding service and we look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Salem, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was attending a large group conference during my first trip to West Virginia in July. Our venue was the Marriott, and I found it to be a great location. My room was very comfortable and quiet, and the bed was quite comfy with a nice assortment of pillows. The front desk and event staff were both very helpful and professional, and the transport drivers were outstanding - very prompt and courteous! I ordered one breakfast from room service and it was delivered sooner than promised and quite generous with the portions - good coffee too. It was very handy to be right across from a sizeable shopping mall with everything from Starbucks to White House Black Market and beyond. Even some stores we don't have in Oregon! I enjoyed my stay, and would be quite content to stay there again should I find myself in Charleston.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your great comments in regards to your recent stay at the Charleston Marriott Town Center. It is always great to hear from guests that your product is very good and most importantly the service was outstanding. The team works hard to meet your needs and when that happens I definitely pass that on to the individuals who actually made your stay memorable. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I overnighted here on the way to another destiantion. His only request was that we did not want a room near the elevator. No problem- he was assurred.
So we arrive, it's very crowded due to an "event". We check in, and are asked if we need help with our luggage- "Yes- please- we'd like a bellman". We were told one was on the way. 20 minutes later- this very friendly- but very petite young woman arrives to help us with our luggage....without a luggage cart. Seems there were all "taken". After politely denying her help- we shelp our bags upstairs to our room- directly across from the elevator.
After a 10 hr drive- we hungry and too tired to fight it- so we proceed to order room service. A couple of filets, salads, etc. They arrive in a timely fashion -on a tray. The employee apologizes profusely saying, "I don't know what happened to all my rolling tables".
The food- was tasty- even if it was eaten in our laps.
After almost no sleep- you guessed it- wedding party was staying in hotel- VERY loud and using ELEVATORS all night- we were glad to leave.
SInce this is a Marriot designed to service a convention center- it does seem that they would be better equipped to accomdate a capacity crowd- and that the rooms would be more soundproofed.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room near an elevator
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
My sincere apology to both of you for the experiences that you encountered during your stay at the Charleston Marriott. We have no excuses for not providing you with a relaxing and comfortable stay. We as a team failed to accommodate you with all your requests and needs. Despite how busy we may be we are trained to provide to each individual guest a quality stay. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the near future. Please do not hesitate to call me personally if you are in the area and would like to try our facility again. Thank you for your candid feedback as it can only help us improve.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

It was my first time in West Virginia and I didn't know what to expect, but this is a nice hotel with an even nicer staff. Nice happy hour on the Concierge Level, the beds were really comfortable and the room was nice...but that's what you expect from a Marriott!
The staff members were very helpful, when my ride to the airport got snarled in traffic...they told the shuttle driver immediately and hustled me to the airport to make my flight!
Although, I do wish the hotel had better views of the mountains and that the windows were a little cleaner from the outside...this is a good stay. The lobby is very cute and upscale, I definitely recommend staying here when in Charleston.

Room Tip: Book the concierge level for the happy hour and pre-dinner snacks...very good!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments in regards to your stay. Our number 1 focus is customer service and anytime we receive a comment in regards to friencliness and service it is truly appreciated and is passed on to those that are responsible for the outstanding service. I certainly apologize for the windows not being clean as we schedule that to be done twice a year and depending on the weather conditions they will remain clean for two to three months or longer. I appreciate the feedback and may have to adjust the cleaning schedule. Thank you again.
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Have stayed at a number of places along Route 77 corridor - this has been our favorite so far. This is an older building - lobby and hallways have been updated - but original 70's architecture feel is still there. Rooms, on the other hand, feel brand new - bedding, furniture and bathrooms are very nice. Restaurant on site - short walk to the mall for other options. Friendly staff. Small but pleasant concierge floor lounge. Expect to pay $13 per day for wifi and $13 per night for parking. I agree with other reviewers - wifi must be included.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay. If is our goal to make sure we provide great service and based on your comments we did accomplish during your stay. The brand standard for all full service Marriott hotels is to charge for internet , although all the other Marriott brands do provide free internet.( Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites) I do understand and agree that as a company we need to re- evaluate our stance on free WiFi. Thank you again.
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is probably the nicest place to stay in downtown Charleston, however as with other reviews you do pay extra for parking and internet. We recently made a reservation for a Saturday night and we had some special requests when placing our reservation. All requests were in place when we arrived. In addition, without going into a lot of detail, we had a problem Saturday evening but the management took care of the problem immediately. My wife loves the super quick room service and we love the great location in downtown, just across the street from the mall. We are ALWAYS impressed with the professional staff and the attention to details. We will not hesitate to stay at the Marriott Town Center in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
steve L, Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments in regards to your stay at the Charleston Marriott Town Center. I am very pleased that we were able to accommodate you and any special requests that you may have had. Referring to the staff as professional is the altimate complement as that is what they all strive for when providing service to a guest. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed here recently at the recommendation of a co-worker. It is a clean, safe hotel, good location in Charleston. Every employee I encountered was pleasant and helpful and seemed genuinely happy to have me as a guest. I had some special food-related needs for a business meeting I was hosting, and Marriott staff were extremely helpful in storing times and also helping me load things in my car. The room was nice with a comfortable bed, nice work station with plenty of outlets and nice size bathroom. Fitness facility was perfect for my needs. As others have mentioned, the rooms are significantly more expensive than most Marriott hotels I stay in for business or pleasure ($279/night before tax). Also, the wifi fee is there and frustrating, as other Marriott hotels provide a wifi code for guests. But at least it was one fee for all my devices (laptop, iPhone, iPad). I hope the company visits this policy and is consistent across the board. Overall, I would stay here again and would recommend to others. Well done, Marriott staff!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your most recent stay. It is our please to serve you and it is especially gratifying to hear that you received great service from all of the associates. I understand your concerns about WIFI charges as they are always being evaluated by the Marriott company. All full service hotels do charge a fee as that is the brand standard, although other Marriott brands such as Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn and Spring Hill Suites do not charge for WIFI. Again thank you again for your great comments they will be shared with the entire team. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Been to Charleston Marriott Town Center? Share your experiences!