“Good Feedback regarding Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Good Feedback regarding Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Really nice and responsive staff at this facility. Everyone couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The toll way staff also knew how to locate you and the staff member Roxanne Moses in Princeton, Virginia at the Holiday Inn Express was so kind as to help me reserve this room.

Green Features: Jerlisaa Sturdavent and Rachel Lehow were so nice and good to me; answering my questions and ensuring that I knew how to get back onto the highway. They also assisted me in making a long distance call when my cell phone wasn't working. Very good staff.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear nancypearl7green,

Thanks so much for the great review and for all of the wonderful comments about our associates Jerlissa and Rachel. We are very lucky to have them both as a part of our team.

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit!

Kindest regards,
Holiday Inn Express Civic Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Charleston, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Pros:
My room had a bed, tv, desk, small closet, and a bathroom. Staff was helpful at check in.

Cons:
I didn't sleep a single minute. Room 218, near the elevator, was unbelievably noisy all night long. I am assuming it was due to my proximity to the ice machine, but it could be other rooms as well, I'm not sure.

Overall:
This was my first time at a Holiday Inn Express, and maybe I just got unlucky with my room, but I will do my best to avoid them all in the future just because of this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 218 or anywhere near an ice machine.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear cstvwv,

We would like to thank you for your recent review. The nice things you had to say about our staff and the layout/set-up of your room are very much appreciated as well. We apologize for the fact that you found your room to be noisy and will certainly look into these concerns to see if there is anything we can do to eliminate the disturbing sounds you have described.

It is our sincere hope that you will not let this isolated situation prevent you from choosing us again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We pulled into Charleston on our Harleys from Ontario with no hotel booked, and we had stopped at a tourist info and got our hands on a travellers guide and had some hotel discount coupons in it. We arrived here and the staff were awesome in getting us the last room at the rate of $73.99 for the night. This is less then the corporate rate that I over heard the man next to me being checked in and paying $139.99.
It was a Tuesday so its customer appreciation day and they have free beer wine and cheese in the lobby area as well. So after my 3 glasses of wine and my husbands 3 beers and the cheese and snacks we had, really the $73.99 we paid for the hotel was ALOT less than that.
Location is convenient to the I-77 as well as the convention center.
We walked 4 blocks to a pub/sports bar that also had a happy hour and great food. Which was a recommendation from the front desk staff.....thank you for that :-)
The hotel was clean, and the breakfast was hot and good in the a.m as well with a great variety.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone.
Clean, great staff, food and location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear mich,

A big thanks from all of us here at the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center for the great review! All of the wonderful things you had to say about our staff, our welcome reception, location, and cleanliness means so much to us. We are so glad that you chose to stay with us.

Should your travels bring you back through Charleston we hope you will come see us again!

Best regards,
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed on 5th floor, nice and quiet. The staff were outstanding, courteous and professional. The breakfast was very well laid out, they did not run out of anything the staff kept everything stocked very well. Only thing that made this review a 4 and not a 5 is the price, I thought it was a little high for them not having a pool like other hotels in the same price range.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear oldhack0322,

Wanted to say thanks for your recent review. We were delighted to read all of the nice things you had to say about our staff, our rooms, and our breakfast. It's always good to hear directly from our guests that we exceeded their expectations.

We hope that you will consider choosing us again should your travels bring you back to Charleston.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The hotel is right off I-77 access, and downtown, so there are plenty of things to do. They have a deal with the steakhouse within eye view of the hotel property, all IHG guests that mention the hotel get a 10% discount. and the food is so worth it.

Being a frequent traveler, access from my main thoroughfare is quite important. Granted, there was some major construction occurring while I stayed here. While it is inevitable, it is unfortunate. Since you are navigating downtown, you really need to watch where you are going to negate any wrong turns/missed intersections so you can get to the hotel.

I still recommend the hotel for its property, the spacious room, and the great staff I encountered

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear neww0rldtraveler,

Thanks so much for your recent review. Your kind remarks about the quality of our rooms and the services provided by our staff members are also very much appreciated.

Sorry for the inconveniences you experienced with navigating our downtown streets and with the downtown construction, there are certainly many improvements happening in our city.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Charleston!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel is clean but it's in a weird location. The rooms seemed recently renovated and the staff was friendly but if you don't like to be around a lot of traffic don't stay here. However it is very close to the civic center which is a plus.

• Stayed April 2014
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear CHarper15,

We appreciate your taking the time to post your review concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We were also excited to hear all the great things you had to say about our staff services and recent renovations! Being a downtown hotel we do experience some light traffic noise, but as you point out, still a great location for business or attending events at the Civic Center which is directly adjacent.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Have been here before when it was run down. They have done some things to build the brand back up again.
I must say the night staff, when checking in wasn't very helpful. That's disappointing. Nonetheless, made it to my room.
Asked for a toothbrush, "were out!" Okay then, thanks for that.
Attitude here is not very nice. Unapologetic. Shower was clogged. How? Do they not clean the shower and run water? If so, wouldn't it NOT have drained when they cleaned it.
So frustrating.
Call to the front desk and there is no niceness.

Breakfast is a BIG plus. Excellent everything. Choices. Fruits. EVERYTHING. But, Oh my goodness, the temperature was so cold, I felt like I was the meat in a freezer. So so COLD!!!!
And when I asked the front desk about it, TWICE, the response was, " oh, I like the cold, idk what've would do if I were hot!"
Is that right now, it's about the hotel staff and NOT the customers.

This place is very average with a GREAT breakfast.

Stayed July 2014
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Matthew Blase,

I would like to personally thank you for your recent review. The nice things you had to say about our breakfast are very much appreciated. I am so sorry for the less than acceptable service you received from the night staff and for the slow draining tub in your room. Each of these issues have been addressed with the appropriate department manager for immediate correction.

Thanks again and we sincerely hope that you will not let this isolated incident prevent you from choosing our hotel for your future stays in Charleston.

Richard Eaton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center? Share your experiences!