“Just what you expect from a Holiday Inn Express” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Raleigh, NC
“Just what you expect from a Holiday Inn Express”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've stayed at several Holiday Inn Expresses (Expressi?) and have learned what to expect from them; a comfortable room, free breakfast, and not a whole lot of flash. The "lack of flash" shouldn't be taken as an insult - I'd rather see a hotel spend money to update their rooms or keep their employees happy than to have bells and whistles in the lobby.

We got this room through Priceline at a very good rate, but in order to get a room with two beds we checked in as soon as we got into the area. The front desk clerk told me I was booked for a room with just one bed, but that she would get us switched to a room with two. I got our keys and left without going to the room.

That was my mistake. When we got back that evening, we went up to our room to find - one bed. I rolled my eyes and went down to the front desk to see what happened to our room, hoping that we'd be able to get a room with two beds (the whole reason for checking in as early as we did). They were able to (on a different floor, much to my son't dismay), so outside of that little hiccup, we were fine.

Room was fine otherwise. Breakfast was good - a typical HIE breakfast spread. The boys were fascinated with the "pancake machine", though the pancakes that came out of it were overcooked and not very good.

All in all, a good stay. Nothing to rave about, but nothing to really complain about either. Location would probably give this place a 3.5 overall rating, just because it's right in the center of the city and close to everything.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Mr Workrate,

First of all, I like your new accronym "Expressi", I think it should be added to the Webster's dictionary with the description- "loyal, dedicated, and faithful Holiday Inn Express patron"! All joking aside, we very much apprciate your loyalty, and the nice review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night. We arrived around 11pm and experienced a quick, friendly check-in. This hotel looks to have been recently remodeled. Everything looks nice and new but there are a few places where you can tell the age of the hotel. That didn't bother us though. The rooms are nice and spacious. The AC is a little loud but it served as white noise to help drown out the sound of traffic. The location is great, being steps from the civic center and mall. The price is also great, compared to the others around this area. Breakfast was great with hard boiled and scrambled eggs, pancakes, cereal, cinnamon rolls, sausage, toast, and biscuits and gravy. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Ward 103,

What a great review! I can't thank you enough for such a detailed description of your recent stay with us. Please come back and see us again soon!
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here one night for a 5k race. The location is convenient, the staff friendly and helpful, and the room nice and clean. I got a good night's rest. It was a little bit noisy, with people going in and out of their rooms, but not so much that it caused me to lose any sleep. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear pangelieus,

Thanks for taking the time to post your recent review of our hotel. I thank you for the positive comments about our property and its services. We also appreciate you understanding of our other "overexcited" guests that were a bit noisy. Hope to see you again on your next visit to Charleston!
Salem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This hotel was recently remodeled and the rooms were beautiful. The hotel staff was more than helpful, especially Barbara at the front desk. The room was quiet, cleaned to perfection everyday, and the breakfast was complete with all you could want. This hotel really surprised me and my friend, who also had a room this week. In fact, we were so pleased that we made reservations for the next 10 weeks at this hotel. We received a very competitive rate and plan to be working in Charleston for the next 4-6 months. Best of all is the location. We walk every night along the river paths and to the town center mall and downtown (Capitol St) to eat every evening. i's the next best thing to being home. The only negative item was the extremely cheap alarm clock...ha ha ha

Room Tip: Not all rooms have microwaves and refrigerators so if you expect one in your room, call first and re...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear foxpoint 99,

I want to thank you for the excellent feedback you recently posted. Your kind remarks about our staff and services were very well received by our team and were much appreciated. We are so happy that you have chosen us to be your home away from home for the next 10 weeks!
Chambersburg, PA, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were just passing through, but had a great stay. The breakfast was awesome, as usual. Holiday Inn Express has the best cinnamon rolls. The double room and bathroom were clean and fresh. The front desk person was welcoming and efficient. The location was easy to find, right off the interstate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mary H,

Thanks for the great review! Your kind comments are much appreciated by our entire team. Hope to see you again soon!
Lewisburg, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Room 307. Room was decent but lacks microwave and refrigerator unless you ask. Bathroom door was missing the lock button but they would have fixed it if we had needed it done, hopefully they fixed if once we checked out. Breakfast was good and plentiful.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Tavel By Brandon,

I want to thank you for the recent review you submitted. We were glad to hear that overall you were very pleased with your accomodations. The issue you reported with the bathroom lock has since been repaired. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

let's start with what is good:
close to.mall and restaurants - that's it
1. breakfast Monday/Tuesday bananas at least a week old ,going brown and soggy
2. coffee, must be watered down or they are using the the left overs from Starbucks
check-in
1. although I can say they weren't rude they were gruff that's the best I can say
2. there apparel was more like they been out on a rough night, now I'm.no dresser but these ladies and one man need a make over.
3. add priority member I thought I.would get an upgrade, no such luck
4. my room next to the fitness room.and elevator, was to say noisy, ok.I had ear plugs, which I rarely have to use, except here.
5. bathroom:
holiday seat hinge cap broken
only one roll of toilet paper
only two wash towels
6. room:
no.pen or pad, alleging thecthird day it did arrive
no track to put my suitcase on

well that's it, nothing earth shattering, but little things that r annoying.

next week I'm.also staying there for three days let's see how that one goes

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Woodbadg,

Thanks so much for your most recent review of our hotel. Clearly we have several things in which we need to improve upon. I have addressed each of your concerns with the appropriate department managers and actions are currently under way to correct them. Your opinion is very valuable to us and I am glad to hear that you will be giving us another chance. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience this may have caused for you.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center? Share your experiences!