“This is my home away from home!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Fairmont, West Virginia, United States
“This is my home away from home!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot and this place never let's me down... Everyone is so friendly and helpful!! The breakfast is always great... The room is very clean and showers are hot!!! I would recommend this close to everything hotel to all my friends!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you very much for the wonderful review, and thank you for making us your "home away from home"! Your kind remarks will be shared with the enitre staff and I'm sure will also be helpful to others who rely on this trusted site when making their lodging decisions. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and i used this hotel as a stopping point when we moved from Michigan to North Carolina. My wife found a coupon for a discounted rate in a travel book and we decided to stay there based on the Holiday Inn Express name. Check in was very easy and the staff was very helpful as we didn't have an advanced reservation and just showed up. I was a little worried about parking as we had a 24' moving truck and a car hauler and I would have to take up several parking spaces. The front desk assured me that they didn't have an issues with that and that it happens all the time. I take it when people move into Charleston University. We stayed on the second floor, because for safety I don't stay on 1st floors, right next to the elevator. We didn't hear the elevator move at all all night! The room was very nicely decorated however the bathroom had some dirt and stray hairs in the tub. Nothing too gross or disgusting however. We did hear several young children running up and down the hall around midnight and a quick call to the front desk and the problem was solved. In the morning the hotel had the standard Holiday Inn Express hot breakfast with biscuits and gravy and eggs and toast and all the fixings which was wonderful as stopping at a drive-thru would be impossible with the truck and hauler. Checkout was accomplished in about 30 seconds and we were on our way. Our truck and hauler were still there in the morning as promised by the front desk staff. I would stay at this hotel again if I had too. We had a pleasant experience and a great nights sleep!

Room Tip: Always choose a second floor or above! Not only is this for safety but you get above the noise that...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post the review of your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important and is shared with our entire team. I was pleased to hear that your overall stay met your expectations. We do our best to control noise levels within our facility when hosting large groups and are so sorry that you were disturbed by individuals outside your room. We do have security personel to handle such situations should you encounter this again in the future. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Zanesvill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for one night due to an early morning flight for her. I found the staff to be helpful and friendly. The room was very clean, refreshing and nice size. The beds were comfortable. We were on the first floor of the hotel so it was a little noisy through the night, which was our fault nothing to do with the hotel. The hotel was easy to find, conveniently situated, within walking distance, to a mall with a variety of retail stores and restaurants and a nice riverside park.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for the kind comments about your stay that you recently posted on Trip Advisor. We are always appreciative to hear from our guests when we have not only met, but exceeded their expectations! We hope to see you again upon your next visit to Charleston.
Southside Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We booked this hotel using Hotwire for a one night stay in Charleston. We were very pleased with the room and the location of the hotel. Our room was fairly large, clean, and had a good mattress. We asked for a quiet room and were given a room on the 5th. floor near the end of the hall. There was absolutely nothing to disturb a good nights sleep.. We did have a problem with the heating. I left the setting on 70 degrees but awoke around 2:30AM to find our room at 58 degrees. I did not report this to the front desk until we checked out because I did not want to change rooms in the middle of the night. I turned off the heat and the room warmed up to about 60 degrees by 6:00AM.
All in all, it was a good stay and I would probably use this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for the review of our hotel you recently posted. I am so sorry that you had trouble adjusting the temperature in your room. I have addressed this matter with our maintenance department and the problem has been remedied. We hope that you will continue to choose us for your future lodging needs in Charleston.
Hillsboro, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was a little weary of this hotel based on its average review but booked anyway because it was close to the Civic Center for a conference I was attending. To my surprise, the hotel was pretty nice on the inside. The rooms seemed updated and the evening staff was helpful. HOWEVER, I have to say that I ended up very disappointed in my stay there as when I requested a receipt, the front desk employee refused to give me one stating that I could not have one since I booked online and "my confirmation counted as a receipt". This was a business trip for me and not getting a receipt meant not getting reimbursed for a $120 a night room. The employee was really very rude and cut me off when I tried to asked questions about how I could get an actual receipt (NOT A CONFIRMATION FOR A RESERVATION!!!) and starting helping the gentleman in a business suit behind me. Based on this experience I definitely would not recommend this hotel especially if you are a business traveler depending on a receipt to receive reimbursement. Unless you're dressed in a business suit I guess - seems like you get a little help then.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear codered1126,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is great to know that you found our rooms to be comfortable for your needs. I am sorry however that you were inconvenienced by the service received from our reception staff. Please be advised that I have taken note of your comments and I will relay this with them so that they can continuously improve on their efforts.

I sincerely hope that the next time you are in the area, you give our hotel another try.

Pam G.
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stay in a lot of Holiday Inn Express hotels and found this one to be about average overall. Nothing would lead me to say avoid this facility. Room was spacious but were not totally cleaned before our check in. Service was average by front desk and breakfast staff. The locations is the best feature as it was located close to a large retail stores mall with lots of really good options for restaurants (not just a food court). It is also an easy on and off to the interstate highways running through the area which was mainly why I chose it. If you have business at the Civic Center, it is right across the street.

Overall this was a serviceable hotel for an overnight stay for a two day road trip. I would recommend it for that type of travel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear WGK_traveler,

Orlando A.
West Liberty WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

When I arrived in the Hotel room, I was surprised to discover that the bathroom had not been cleaned after the previous guests had checked out. The bathroom floor was very dirty, black marks all over it, a pair of child's shorts laying on the floor, and the bathroom counter ledge was covered with powder. I took the shorts to the staff and conveyed my concern regarding the room. I was told that $40 would be deducted from my bill; when I checked out only $20 was deducted and the staff insisted I was told only $20 would be deducted. I was more disturbed by the lie that was told than the dirty, unclean room. On the upside, the breakfast food was excellent.

Room Tip: no pool or restaurant
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear B R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room conditions, and your interactions with the staff prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center? Share your experiences!