“Nice and in safe location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 23 hotels in Charleston
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice and in safe location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel is definately in need of updating. So can understand the construction. The state of West Virgina had a major power outage after a freak storm. So we basically hotel hopped trying to get closer to Adventures on the Gorge for a rafting trip. The staff was very helpful. The restaurant was fair but service was excellent. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Griffin 96,

Thank you for the nice review, and I am happy to report that our renovations are now drawing to a close and should be completely wrapped up by mid February. It's been a long journey but the final outcome is a brand new hotel inside and out. We hope that you will stop by upon your next visit to the "capitol city" and allow us to show you our shining new property!

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our last stop back to Toronto from Savannah, GA. The hotel was being renovated when we were there and they were up to the four floor at that time. The breakfast area was beautiful and we enjoyed our free breakfast there with joy. The corridors were all newly decorated and the carpet felt very nice and soft. Our room was large and good for the four of us. Decors in room were very very modern and we simply loved them. It is located right across the Civic Centre and not far at all from the Charleston Town Centre shopping mall. We strolled through the mall at night on a Thursday and found the place to be too quiet for us, but for shopping with ease it was just excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Iasellajai,

On behalf of the entire team at the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center, thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review of our hotel on Trip Advisor! we look forward to being your "home away from home" the next time you travel through our beautiful state.
Matewan, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed in one of the rooms that hadn't been remodeled. Our air conditioner was messed up..so it was a little warm in there as it was in July. They did send someone to check it several times, but there wasn't anything they could do. We went out and bought a fan, and it wasn't too bad. The staff and manager were all great. They felt so bad that they were unable to put us in another room that they gave us a big discount on the first night and didn't even charge us for the second night. That, to me, seems as though they really value their customers. I think the name of the guy that helped us so much..his name was Russell Atlia..not sure on the spelling, but he went the extra mile to help us. You don't find too many people that kind any more. Will I return..YES!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Cathy D,

All I can say is WOW, what a great review! It is our goal to provide only the best of service to our guests and it looks as though we achieved just that. I have shared your comments with our entire team and they too were just as pleased to hear that we truly exceeded your expectations. Thanks so much and we look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to Charleston!
Bridgeport, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Hopefully this can be classified as a temporary review but I can't give this hotel a good score for the simple fact that they do not know how to plan their customer arrivals around the construction going on at the motel and that should reflect for a person considering this hotel. The construction was not listed on their national Holiday Inn site so I just want the traveler to be aware and at least check with the hotel to see if the construction has been completed and be able to change their plans if necessary to make their stay more comfortable.

I arrived early and they would not let me check in until after 2:30pm. This was not really a problem because the large Charleston Town Center mall is less than a block away so I just left my car in the parking lot and walked to the mall. Check in was ok even though I had to go back and get my snack they offer for being a Priority Rewards club member because the front desk assistant forgot to offer it to me. What can I say I wanted my cookies.

Overall I will say the front desk people, and housekeeping is usually very good in this hotel and they were the same this time. I did have trouble with the door lock when I first arrived is my only non-construction related issue. I don't know if the door itself was jammed somehow or if it was just in the electronic lock but after 5 minutes and some gentle pressure and persuasion on the door it opened. My room was cleaned and fully prepared when I finally got the door opened. The television was of good size, and worked properly. The remote also worked well (a thing i often can't say with motel remotes). The hotel places the wi-fi signal on the key card holder so that was readily available and I was able to get online quickly. The wi-fi signal worked well in my location. The beds were comfortable and the hotel provides both a firm set of pillows and a soft set of pillows for travelers to pick according to their preference. The bathroom was nice, but he tub was older and had been patched a little bit. Everything functioned properly and the water was warm for my shower. There was no refrigerator or microwave in most rooms if that is a feature you desire. The coffee pot was in the bathroom and the basket was properly stocked with supplies to make the coffee. Noise from other rooms, and the hall was actually pretty low. I was on the side closer to the road and did get a little traffic noise, but even that wasn't as bad as some of the other hotels I have stayed in around Charleston.

I stayed on Friday night with no were I had to be on Saturday early so what's a guy to do but want to sleep in. I got in later from a concert across the street at the Civic Center so by the time I got settled down it was probably about 1:30. I actually did sleep good in the bed so I can say it was comfortable. A little after 9:00am though I was awakened by a construction drill that sounded like it was going to bore through any minute and continued off and on for about 30 minutes. I am a half deaf light sleeper that uses earplugs at hotels when I sleep a lot of the times to drown out everything. I had them in that night so to be awakened from sleep with earplugs in may show you just how loud this thing was. Needless to say being a light sleeper once I am a wake I stay awake so I lazed around a bit and got ready to leave. Again the staff was kind on the way out and checkout was quick. When I got to my car they caution taped much of the area I was parked in. I could not pull forward out of my spot so I had to back my car out of that partitioned off area in order to get out of the parking lot. As I was was pulling onto the interstate I looked at my hood closely and found that there was bits of installation or whatever they were working with all over the hood. How nice of them to work around vehicles.

Overall I still will say this hotel is a nice hotel and normally would have given it a better rating. Right now though I avoid it until their construction is completed because the hotel and construction workers can't coordinate with each other and keep guests away from the construction noise and mess. There are too many comparably priced hotels in that area not under construction that will give you more overall value for your money.

Room Tip: Probably a room on the front of the hotel. It is further from the road so road noise is lessened.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Alman 4869,

I would like to thank you for your recent review of our hotel. While we do our best to try and plan and coordinate our renovations during times of the year when it will impact our guests the least, we still sometimes fail to achieve that goal. I am happy to report that our work is now wrapping up and renoavtions should be complete by February 15th. Your kind comments about our staff and services are very much appreciated and we hope to see you again soon so that we may show off our finished product!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The front desk staff was not real helpful-didn't want to look up my priority reward number-"you know the computer is kind of slow"-really! The location was great for all we wanted to do and the breakfast was fabulous. Our room was a nice size and clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sheryl L,

I would like to thank you for the feedback concerning your recent stay at our hotel. Our Priority Club members are very important to us and retrieving their numbers is indeed not a cumbersome matter. I think we have addressed this issue through additional staff training. Your other kind comments are very much appreciated and we hope to see you again soon.
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

They are redoing the rooms on all the floors. The room I had was already completed and was great except that the lighting could have been better. They have closed off windows in each room so even in daytime not nearly the light I use to have. They are also redoing the outside so when the project is completed everything will look great ( as if it didn't before they started these upgrades ). I stayed here jan 3th to jan 6. The staff here is ALWAYS so friendly and that goes for the hotel manager down to the maids.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Brooks 321,

What a great review! I thank you for taking the time to share this information and we are so happy to hear how pleased you are with our improvements so far! After hearing your comments, as well as others about the guest room lighting, we have added an additional lamp to each room which will hopefully address this concern. Thanks again and we will see you in March!
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our room had been remodeled- except the bathroom. Good space in room. They brought us a roll away at no charge and it fit between the two double beds which was great. The breakfast was very good, lots of variety. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mary T,

Thanks so much for the review of our hotel you recently posted. Your kind remarks are very much appreciated and will be shared with our entire team. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center? Share your experiences!