“Very good value and nice, clean rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Earn 2X HHonors Points
Ranked #6 of 23 hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ohio
“Very good value and nice, clean rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Great hotel with plenty of ammenities, both in the hotel and nearby. A previous review was wrong; there are three elevators and all were working during our multiple stays. Nice mall across the street with a very good local restaurant (Tidewater Grille). Hotel restaurant is good with very attentive friendly service. Rooms are very large with separate living/sleeping areas. As is the case w/ all Embassy Suites there complimentary drinks in the evening. Typically, it's a snatch-and-grab with the guests loading up on free drinks as though they're going to the chair in the morning. Probably would be better if the hotel did not put forks out for the free appetizers, but you are all warned. In any event, the rooms are clean and the service is outstanding. No parking valet and a small lot, so be prepared to park a few steps away in the garage around the corner, but still a great value.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
DelamarS, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Dear Waylontdog,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback! We appreciate all of the wonderful things you noticed about the Embassy Suites and our staff! Everyone works very hard to ensure each guest feels special.

Again, thank you.

Hotel management

331 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Came here for a conference...landed at midnight. I was surprised that a free airport pickup was available at that time. The driver was very friendly. The hotel is world class and a seasoned business traveler will find all the amenities he or she is expecting. The breakfast is good and complimentary. The cleaning staff asked me if I needed any extras.
There is free happy hour(s) frm 5:30 to 7:30.

The rooms are comfy and clean, 2 big flat screen TVs, microwave fridge, dining table , desk. Everything you need to feel at home. Bed is good. For the picky people : it has a eurotop, good set of blankets and sheets. Pillows are ok but a little small and not of the highest quality.

Location is also good, right next to a few restaurants and the mall. You are also in walking distance from main attractions.

The only negative thing I can say is that the front desk is not always attended at night. They are in the back office and only come out when a guest stands there and waits. They can see you on a camera.

Charleston isn't exactly an exciting city but the Embassy Suites will more than make up for it. You will have all the comforts of a "big city" hotel for a lot less than you usually shell out.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Wanderingyahud,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay at the Embassy Suites and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Charleston, West Virginia!

Hotel Management
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with my teen daughters and fiance. The room was clean, and the bathrooms were well appointed. The staff was friendly and helpful -- and they accommodated my request for early checkin, which was refreshing. We ordered room service the afternoon we got there, and it was quite expensive. We put the tray of used dishes outside our door around 4:30P, and when we checked out Sunday morning, it was still there. There were other functions going on in the hotel on 10.16.10, so the evening was rather noisy, but our ability to sleep uninterrupted was wonderful. The room-darkening shades allowed us peaceful rest. We appreciated the cook-to-order breakfast but the depth of the offerings could have been better, i.e., more items, etc. We were disappointed to find there is a $10 charge for parking, as it was just a "drive up and pull in" type of parking lot -- not a parking garage. This information was not made available to me either at the time of making the reservation, nor when checking in -- just when we got our final bill. That left a sour taste in my mouth. In addition, there was a $3 charge on my bill that I have yet to determine the reason for. The cost was very expensive, and there were no deals/specials/discounts available unless I was a senior. However, the hotel is very close to a mall which made it quite easy to walk to a restaurant outside the hotel. overall, a nice hotel, but way too expensive.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Dear JHILL17,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your guestroom and the location of the hotel.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Embassy Suites. We take all comments seriously and appreciate the time you have taken to post your comments. I do apologize for the issue you encoutered with room service and parking. I have shared your feedback with our staff so that we may improve our service. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of our staff, please send and email to stacey.delamar@jqh.com, so we may address it with you directly.

Hotel Management
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

The hotel was a big disappointment. Beautiful in the pictures...that's it! It is huge and just two elevators. By the way, just one elevator was working. We had to use the stairs most of the times due to the speed of the only one elevator. The pool is very small and they offer just 9 sunchairs. The room was very dark with very high windows. We felt more like being in a prison. I just want to say that we spent the Memoral Day weekend there. What a memorable experience!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

In-room internet access - $9.95 for 24 hours.. I've stayed in Holiday Inn, Marriot, Hampton and other hotels in the last few years. I was unpleasantly suprised that internet wasn't included.

Bottled water in room - $3.00. My bad, I assumed that like some other hotels, they provided me with complimentary water. There was no mini-bar so I incorrectly assumed it was free.

Parking - $9.00 per day. Not complaining about price so much, but they didn't bother to mention it wasn't free when I checked in, just told me where it was. Again, many other hotels are free depending on location.

Parking - I agree with several others here that the parking garage while close, is a bit of a pain. There's not even a sidewalk between the garage and the hotel so you have to walk in the car entrance to get out of the garage.

For a fairly expensive hotel, offering free made-to-order breakfast and free drinks every night I thought their obvious grab for small amounts of money was sad.

I won't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I have stayed at this Embassy Suites in Charleston WV about a half a dozen times. Always here on business. I have never been dissapointed. Kudos to Mika who was working at the front desk to assist in my checkin and recommendations for where to enjoy dinner and nightlife locally. His suggestions were excellent.

The rooms don't dissapoint either. Very clean and large suites, typical Embassy Suites style.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Cockeysville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

We were a party of 8 with 2 suites. Arrived on Saturday at around 10 am. We had expected to park, venture out downtown, and come back to check in. When I went to the desk to put in a request for connecting room, we were told the connecting rooms were ready now and we could go ahead and check in--YAY--a wonderful bonus.

The rooms were very nice, spacious, and very clean. We were on an upper floor which also made it nice. We never heard any neighbors, and spent quite a while in the rooms. The pool was an average indoor hotel pool, but fine for a quick swim.

We lucked out and found easy parking in front of the hotel. We left our cars parked, and took advantage of the hotel shuttle when going too far to walk. The lot was small. We didn't see the garage. I could see this being an issue if you wanted to come and go by car. The shuttle drivers were extremely nice and one even took us on a "driving" tour down the river, and by the governor's complex, since it was 90+ and too hot to walk around sight seeing.

My only disappointment was the manager's reception. In the past, hot appetizer foods have been served. This has been replaced with nuts, popcorn, and chex mix. The breakfast was still very good though.

Would definitely return to Embassy Suites.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Charleston? Share your experiences!