“Clean but sloppy service” 2 of 5 stars

AAA Family Fun Package
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City
“Clean but sloppy service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The hotel was clean and decorated pretty nicely for a lower-budget hotel, and it was definitely in a good location (close to shopping area, right across from a JC Penney). The room was also quite large. The biggest problem is the service:
Housekeeping didn't visit/make up my room after my first night
I ordered food--pizza and a bottle of wine. The pizza was good, though since it look about 5 minutes I'm guessing they just heated it up. The wine came in a Bud Light bucket filled with ice and was plopped down on the table with a bottle opener inside it. They said to leave the pizza box outside the door when I was ready - in the morning they still hadn't picked it up. They also marked it up outrageously high--my wine, which retails for about $15 a bottle, was $38. I know it's common practice to mark wine up, but that was excessive. Note that they also add a 18 or 20% tip (don't remember which) and a $2 delivery fee.
Also limited in terms of room service times - no breakfast, and they don't have food available all night (until 9 or 10pm I think?)
Note that there is no laundry service, though they do apparently have coin-operated machines.
I dealt with the same person at the front desk each time, when I checked in and checked out. Not very friendly and didn't know the area (I needed to get somewhere in the morning and asked if it was close and she wasn't sure). However, when I called down to reception in the evening I got someone else and she was very pleasant.
Overall - I wouldn't stay here for pleasure, but I was fine staying here for a short time.

Room Tip: Try to get on a higher floor. All of the rooms face an open area looking down into the lobby (if tha...
Green Features: It appears to be relatively environmentally-friendly--they have the not-uncommon card telling you to leave towels hung up if you don't want them washed. Other than that, I didn't notice anything especially environmentally friendly, I don't think.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Stephen S, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I was glad to read from your review that you found our location to be convenient and that you enjoyed your large room. However, I understand that you were not satisfied with the service that was provided for you. I truly regret that you had a disappointing experience with us and that you found some of our staff members to be inattentive towards you. I sincerely apologize for this. I was both surprised and deeply disappointed by your recount of your experience with us. I assure you that it’s contrary to what our customers typically see from us.

Again, I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope that next time you are in town, you give us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional service you deserve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel was beautifully decorated, clean, friendly, and easy to access. There are many amenities there that we were, unfortunately, unable to use due to the brevity of our stay. The complimentary breakfast was delicious! The dining area was clean and well tended. I also appreciated being allowed to fill my travel mug with coffee before leaving.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Stephen S, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All comments are welcome and help us improve. We look forward to your return.
Houston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Overall stay was very good. Some minor issues with housekeeping which were resolved. Location is easily accessible to Town Center shopping mall and restaurants are within walking distance. Plenty of parking in garage. Continental breakfast is excellent. Good coffee.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review we will be happy to share your comments with our staff.
Charleston, WV, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The decorations were lovely, the staff was great, the city was easy to move around in. I love the breakfast and Managers reception. Such a good idea, a fun way to get out of your room and meet new friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for sharing your comments we will be sure to share with our staff.
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

must have been short staffed - room not cleaned, service slow or not at all for housekeeping - other services were good. good location but the charge for parking is high in my opinion. Breakfast was good - no USA Today paper delivered

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry you did not get the services you expected and deserve. We did let most of our staff go early to spend time with their family however that is no excuse for not meeting your needs. We do hope you will return to see that we are capable of the servicse you have come to expect for us.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I loved this hotel. It was my first time in Charleston. My flight was delayed multiple times. When I called the hotel, they came right away to pick me up from the airport. My driver, Butch, gave me a great history lesson of the city and pointed out the sites as we drove to the hotel. When I arrived, staff went out of their way to meet my needs. The evening reception and morning breakfast were phenomenal. This is a great place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for the review will look forward to your return.
Cass, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed here for a state meeting and was tired when I arrived. I had about a four hour drive and was ready to kick back and relax, before participating in the meeting the next morning. I had a very relaxing evening and I loved the walk in shower in the bathroom, which was just what I needed after the long ride. The bed was very comfortable and I got a wonderful night of restful sleep. The meals that I had while I was there were excellent and I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling for business or pleasure. The staff were excellent as well and made me feel welcome. The Happy Hour is a plus too, with free drinks and snacks.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are very comfortable and have been remodeled.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your stay and taking the time to send us your comments we will be sure to share with the staff.

Been to Embassy Suites Charleston? Share your experiences!