“Somewhat Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston, West Virginia
“Somewhat Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

When we travel, the Hilton chain almost always meets or exceeds our needs and sometimes our expectations. We spent this New Years Eve at our local Embassy Suites and it could have been better.
The evening started well with a Manager’s Reception. The food was first rate, with sushi, good quality cheeses, and more that I didn’t try but the presentation was beautiful. The liquor was top shelf, the bartender fixed a good martini, and she was professional as well as pleasant.
Our room was standard Embassy Suites with a comfortable bed and city view. The evening was good so far. My wife was getting over a cold and needed tissue. The box was empty but there was a back up in a drawer. The quality of the tissues was our first tip that this Hilton may be cutting corners; they were of the cheapest thinnest material imaginable and at least a step down from Motel 6 issue. The coffee service was our next irritation. There was no creamer in the room, there were two packages of leftover decaffeinated and the previous guests old coffee grounds were still in the machine. Next was a trip to the ice machine that didn’t work or was out of ice at 6PM. Did I mention that the plastic bag for the ice bucket was too small to fit the bucket? Last issue with the room had very low water pressure in the shower, insufficient to wash hair.
When we went down for the New Years Eve dinner & dance the ballroom was nicely decorated. There was recorded music and dinner from 7:30 until 9PM and a band until 11:30. The dance band was first rate. We were a group of 12 and wanted a table together. Because there were no reserved tables, two of us went in when the doors opened to save a table. In order to let others know the seats were taken I leaned the unoccupied chairs on two legs against the table. At this point a man who appeared to be a member of management came over and started putting the chairs back down. He, in a somewhat brusque manner, told me this was a fire hazard and was not allowed. I can understand that and returned the remaining chairs to the upright position myself. The manner in which it was presented is what I resented.
I went to the bar and ordered a scotch, neat, for my wife and a glass of water for myself. The bartender, also with the brusque bordering on rude manner, informed me they did not serve any drink without adding a mixer. I was served a dollop of scotch in a glass of ice filled with water. Later in the evening, I returned to this same bartender and ask for two glasses of water (There was no sarcasm from me, I really wanted water) she ask (again in that confrontational mode) where I was sitting. When I ask why (I thought she was calling security) she said that she was having two pitchers of water sent to the table. The implication being that she couldn’t be bothered. Keep in mind that I had been to her three times that evening, on first trip ordered a scotch and a glass of water and the next two times ordered two waters. Each time leaving $2.00 in the tip jar. Who knew receiving a tip for serving water would make her angry?
Breakfast was included in the package so we both had a light breakfast of cereal and toast. The Raisin Bran was standard fare, there was no skim milk, there were no whole wheat bread options, I tried the fried potatoes and they were the texture of shoe leather, the bananas were brown, soft and unappetizing.
This is not the review of an angry drunk. We’re not heavy drinkers and we’re not difficult to please. My intent is that this review be used by management as constructive criticism. Embassy Suites Charleston may still be the best choice in the city. It is a beautiful hotel in a desirable downtown location but they can do better. This visit was not up to what we have come to expect from the Hilton brand.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor with a downtown view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear fhwils12

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I do apologize that we fell short of your expectations during our New Year’s party. I was disappointed to read from your review that you had several issues at our hotel during your stay. I can assure you that our main priority is for our guest to have an exceptional stay with us and we will do everything we need to do to take your comments to improve our guest experience. I also apologize for the brusque response from our bartender. I have spoken to our staff regarding your comments to ensure that this does not occur again. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind.

Mark Cherry GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Kent, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Embassy Suites is one of our favorite chains, and the Charleston Embassy Suites is one of the best!

First, the location is perfect if you're driving through WV, and it's equally well-suited for walking across the street to the mall for dinner -- where the restaurants range from Five Guys to Outback to Tidewater Grill (seafood) to the Chop House (steaks).

The evening Manager's Reception is well-orchestrated, with snacks quickly refilled and a bartender who keeps the line moving. Similarly, the morning breakfast is one of the best we've seen at Embassy Suites, with the usual omelette / pancake station complemented with a full hot buffet with eggs, pancakes, potatoes, biscuits & gravy, sausage, and far better bacon than most. I would like to see the tables cleaned between guests, though, not just have dishes removed -- this rather unhygienic practice seems to be a recurring problem at this location.

There is a small parking lot out front if you arrive early, but if that's full, there is a covered parking garage out back. The wireless is not free but is moderately speedy -- though annoyingly in our case we paid for an Internet package but the desk clerk gave away the Internet code for free to the couple in front of us when they asked how to connect to the Internet. Hey, we paid for Internet access!

Overall, the Embassy Suites Charleston is a jewel among Embassy Suites and is highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Walkerbob,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your last stay. I appreciate your comments and insight and we hope to see you again in the future when your travels return you to the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Pros:
Spacious rooms;
Clean rooms.

Cons:
Expensive parking without notice;
Low water pressure;
Thin walls
Low quality food

We checked in and applied our Hilton Honors and Educator discounts which brought the price down to $129 for the night. The regular rate, plus parking, would have been over $160. WAY overpriced for the area and the amenities.

Parking is self-park either in front of the hotel, or across the street in a lot. Both options cost $12 and they don't tell you about it until you get your bill. We parked 3 spots away from the front door. I could understand an additional fee for parking in a deck, or a valet, but $12 to park in front of the building? Ludicrous.

Kids were running up and down the halls all night long. The walls are incredibly thin. We heard toilets flushing and doors slamming well into the early hours of the morning. It may have been an issue in our room, but there was hardly any water pressure. The shower was incredibly disappointing. Also, these are "updated" showers with no curtains, just a half-wall of glass. Water goes everywhere on the floor. This is a major slip/fall hazard.

Breakfast was sub-par at best. The eggs were soupy and appeared to be undercooked. The sausage was soaking in a bath of grease.

I understand that you pay more for Happy Hour and a big breakfast at Embassy Suites. However, we checked-in very late. They should knock the prices down for check-in after Happy Hour.

I would strongly look elsewhere for a good night's sleep in Charleston at these high rates.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear aww3583

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. I was very happy to read from you review that you found our rooms to be spacious and clean. Our main priority is for our guests to experience a welcoming and comfortable stay with us.

I do however understand that you were inconvenienced by the low pressure in your room. I thank you from bringing this to my attention and have already spoken to our maintenance crew to correct this issue. In addition I am sorry that you found our food to be below your standards. We are always looking for ways to improve and will definitely take your comments into consideration to improve the quality of our menu items. Our main priority is for our guests to experience an exceptional stay with us and I can assure you that I have taken your comments into consideration.

Again, I thank you for your review and if there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!

Nashville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

The facilities were good for the area (a solid 3* but definately don't expect 4* quality!) I could tell they've upgraded the rooms, though the mattress in our room wasn't great.

Parking is $12 self park, an it's not really connected to the hotel. We were charged even though no one asked us if we had a car with us and were parking.

The happy hour was nice. I was surprised that they were serving mixed drinks to order. It was annoying that they had one bartender and a huge line for drinks. I asked the guy why they didn't just pre-make a pitcher of Mai-tais to serve and he said management wouldn't let them do that anymore, they wanted the drinks 'fresh'. Here's a tip - people don't want to wait in line like cattle for something - find some ways to be more efficient so it's a more pleasant experience. Or hey - just nix liquor drinks entirely then. I'm sure people would be satisfied with just beer and wine and it's faster.

My biggest complaint though was breakfast. We came down at 10:20 to eat and they were runnin around like crazy packing everything up. No more eggs, omlettes, bacon, nothing but English muffins and bagels. Really embassy suites? If you serve breakfast till 10:30 then serve till 10:30. Don't let your employees pack it in early. I was very disappointed that management allows this to happen (apparantly often, as I went back and read more reviews). I know you don't have a ton of competition in Charleston, but I'll gladly take my business over to the Marriott if service is poor.

Overall, nice hotel, inconvenient parking with some kinks in service to work out.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Stellaky

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I do apologize that we did not meet expectations. I was disappointed to read from your review that you had some issues at our hotel including the inconveniences with the parking charges you encountered. I can assure you that our main priority is for our guest to have an exceptional stay with us and we will do everything we need to do to take you comments to improve our guest experience. I also apologize if we are did not have breakfast available for you. I have spoken to our staff regarding your comments to ensure that this does not occur again. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind.

Blacksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Facility, in general, was very nice. Somewhat overpriced for the area. Manager, on the night of our stay (12.8.12) was unfamiliar with the term "customer service", although it was understandable since he probably had not been in-serviced. We were told we could bring a pet (even had a note on our reservation). We apologize for the misunderstanding, and would not care to hear/feel his insistence that we were wrong and that no one on his staff would/could have made that mistake since he had educated everyone. All we really would have liked to hear was that he was sorry for the mistake, but he insisted it wasn't a mistake. Tried to call room service/housekeeping/main desk, you name it, that evening but all lines were busy. Couldn't even get an answer on the emergency number. Never stay again. Oh, by the way, facility was very nice.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room since outside noise was loud
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Chris R

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you felt in any way disrespected and there was so much confusion concerning our pet policy. This is not typical of our hotel and staff. Every guest is very important to us, so I have addressed these issues with our team members to ensure that this is an isolated incident. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience what Embassy Suites is known for: truly award-winning hospitality. Thank you once again for your comments.

Flatwoods, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is THE only hotel in which to stay if you are visiting Charleston. I have stayed here many times and it is always very clean, modern, and kept up really well. Free drinks each night from 5:30p to 7p. Great breakfast in the morning...biscuits, french toast, made to order omelets, fruit, sausage, bacon, etc. Plenty of tables and places to sit and relax. The on-site restaurant is also very good and has a bar also. Rooms are quiet, and beds are pretty comfortable. I always sleep really well there. It is in a superb location, right downtown and across from the Charleston Town Center. If you need to go to the Town Center or the Civic Center or the BB&T Bank Building, they are all a very easy walk. It's a little pricey, but I think a better value than the Marriott, which is down the street. One negative is that they charge $12 a night for parking. If you don't mind paying a little more for a hotel, then I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mrs. Ross 41139,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay at the Embassy Suites. I appreciate your comments concerning our great breakfast and convenient location. We look forward to your return in the future

Mark Cherry
Huntington, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Late check-in, and found all the bath products had avocado in them (I have a severe allergy) -- pleasant desk clerk tried to find plain soap...to no avail. But the gift shop had what I needed the next morning.

Nice rooms, helpful staff, good breakfast. Ate in the Athletic Club restaurant twice; food very good, wait staff very attentive and didn't mind us lingering talking with friends.

Re: parking fee -- this is a downtown hotel, not a chain just off the interstate. Cheaper than parking in Chicago!

Room Tip: Ask for room that looks toward the river.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear SueP,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I am glad that you had a nice stay and the staff was helpful in trying to meet your needs.
I hope that we will see you back again in the future as your travels return you to the area,

Mark Cherry GM

Been to Embassy Suites Charleston? Share your experiences!