“Couldn't have been a better place to celebrate my parents 60th wedding anniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Charleston

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montgomery, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We held my parents' 60th wedding anniversary celebration here over the July 4th weekend. Although none of our family members live in West Virginia, we needed a central location for the celebration which the whole family could reach easily from Pennsylvania, Georgia, Ohio and South Carolina. We thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary manager's receptions and breakfasts. We spent a lot of time visiting family in the atrium and had room to spread out. We even brought wedding pictures to display in my parents sitting room table, which also made it feel like a home away from home for the weekend. And to top things off, when I forgot an item in my room, housekeeping found it and mailed it back to me priority mail - NO CHARGE! I highly recommend this property for its location, hospitality and diligence to detail.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Dublin, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I came to Charleston to visit friends and to see Sugarland in concert. I booked a smoking room. The room wasnt clean, the sofa had a tear in the front of it. The staff was very rude. I asked for the shuttle service and I was told it was for the guest. I paid $250.79 for one night, so I beleive I was a guest ! Staff members were in the bar after they worked and were trying to scam the guest. I have called this motel three times and left messages to speak with someone about this matter, and still no response. I was charged $10.00 for parking and I didn't even have a car there. I had a friend dropped me off and pick me up, so why was I charged. I have stayed in Hotels all over the US, and never have had such a bad experience as I had they ! I would never stay there again or recommend it to anyone. Please be careful there ! Also the room next to mine which noone was in had a alarm clock going off at 6am till I checked out ! Thanks for the sleep! I do have photo's

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed here for a wedding and rate this hotel a B+
The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was helpful and polite. The free breakfast was hot and delcious.
There were only two downsides to the stay. 1. The cable TV kept going out. Thankfully there was a sportsbar in the lobby. The staff there was super nice and let us watch the entire French Open Final. 2. You can hear people in the room next to you.
Over all I was happy with our stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Inwood, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

1st- I was put in smoking room after reserving NON smoking
2nd- Once moved to a non smoking room, I forgot my work documents in the previous room. When I realized this in the morning I called the front desk to find out they did not remove them before selling room to another client. It took until 10:45 to retrieve my documents of which I had to go to the room since I had asked the front desk 4 times to please check on them and they told me I had to wait until 12 noon at check out. I am glad I did not rely on them or my papers would be gone!
3rd- When I found my documents, they housekeeper had THROWN THEM AWAY!!! They were covered in cigeratte butts and water. The housekeeper told me she was sorry she thought I was gone. Obviously the 4 times I asked the front desk they just ignored my request to get my WORK DOCUMENTS back! (Not to mention the conference I was there for was in their hotel!!!)
4th- I called customer service because I felt this was bigger than the room not being clean or something minor. I don't usually do this, but I was really upset my work documents were thrown away. The man told me the manager of the Charleston Embassy Suites woudl call to talk about my complaint and if not he would follow back up with me. I have tried called the customer service back a few times and no one has responded to my complaint or even applogized for my inconvience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We were traveling from Norfolk, Virginia back to Indiana and planned to stop and find a hotel half way. However, thunderstorm after thunderstorm...traffic jam after traffic jam...we decided to cut it early and get some rest. For two towns we could not find anything worth staying in. Either everything was booked or they wanted an arm and a leg for a roach motel. We decided to push on and sleep a few hours at a rest stop if need be. Good thing for smart phones w/ internet access...I began calling hotels in the Charleston area. All seemed to be booked for the night except this hotel so I was leary of the quality. The room was clean and very spacious. The beds were double beds and a little on the small side so it resulted with a few tosses and turns throughout the night. The lobby area was pleasing to the eye w/ it's glass elevators and lush plants. The complimentary full breakfast, made to order was wonderful to wake up to before needing to hit the pavement again. Complaint...it was happening and a little noisy for these weary travelers and parking was in a detached garage around the corner and showed up as a $10 charge on our bill. The parking was inconvenient because there were not any elevators and we had to travel w/ our luggage on the stairs, we had to walk through the garage and down the sidewalk a short distance to get to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Meadville, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Stayed here with my husband for two nights. The staff was excellent and really went above and beyond for us. We arrived very early (10:30 am) and decided to just see if we could check in. They were very full, but the front desk person called house keeping and had our room ready in about half an hour. The omelet chef for the breakfast went and got Swiss cheese for me even though it was not included on the menu. The parking is not nearly as bad as other reviewers make it out to be. It is a small lot in front, but the garage is directly behind the hotel with an entrance very close. The $10 a night parking fee did bother us. I realize the garage does not belong to the hotel, but they should make some sort of arrangements to allow their guests to park for free. Beautiful room, great breakfast. Skip the hotel restaurant and go across the street to the mall, where there are many choices. The hotel restaurant, while decent, was expensive and the service was extremely slow.

Our only beef was the nickel and diming that better hotels do...charge for internet ($10 a day), charging for parking, $3 bottles of water in the room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Athens, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

My husband and I have been taking weekend trips to Charleston, WV for years and have always stayed at the Town Center Mariott. This past weekend we were in town for the Smoke on the Water Chili Cook Off and decided to try the Embassy Suites. I found a AAA rate for a two room executive suite less than a regular king bed at the Mariott . It was wonderful and I only wish we'd have been able to stay more than one night. The staff was great and let us check in well before the 1PM check in time. The hotel was right across from the Charleston Town Center Mall and a short walk to the riverfront and downtown areas. My only two complaints would be food and parking. We went into the bar area around 10 PM and ordered nachos. The chips were stale and over all definitely not worth the $12 charge - however, they were serving a large number of people late dinner meals, so the food couldn't all be bad. As for parking, we were lucky enough to find a spot in the small main lot - which they still charged us $10 for - but it's also a $10 charge at the Mariott and you have to park in a building. I'm sure overflow parking for Embassy was in the same building. But, overall a great experience. I will definitely stay at this Embassy Suites again and make sure we have time to better enjoy it.

Room Tip: Executive Suite was great.