“Great service but cleaning crew is a little lax” 3 of 5 stars

AAA Family Fun Package
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond
“Great service but cleaning crew is a little lax”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

We stayed in a corner room for one night. I highly recommend the corner room as it is much larger and off the main traffic pattern. We used the pool, which was heavily chlorinated, had some hair in the shower, and had really small towels. We did not use the fitness room, but it appeared to have several aerobic machines.

We ordered rom service which had a great menu, and everything we ordered was delicious. The breakfast was great as always, but a little different at this Embassy. They made the pancakes to order as well, and the hashbrowns and bacon are kept behind the counter of the omlette station. This made for a line, plus you weren't sure what they had available.

The pull out bed has to be the most cushioned and comfortable one I have ever used. The room had wifi, but for $10 a day so we didn't use it. We parked in the front of the hotel, and that actually cost us $10.00, which we were not informed of in advance. I have parked in garages for a charge, but never have I been charged to park in front of the hotel. They didn't ask if we had a car, so perhaps the charge goes on the bill regardless. There was a refrigerator in the room, though the freezer was almost completely frosted in. The TV was nice with a lot of channels.

There were pizza boxes lining the hallways around 5 PM when we checked in, and they were still there by about 7 PM. The next morning they were gone and new pizza boxes lined the hallways. The floors in the hallways needed a vacuum. The table surfaces in the room had sticky residue of some kind. Various glass surfaces throughout the hotel were smudged and dirty. We didn't think that was typical of an Embassy.

I went out to the car around 2 AM at which time no one was working in the lobby and the hotel doors were unlocked. I suppose the area must be safe, but I thought that was a little lax.

Overall, this was a nice hotel as Embassy Suites usually are, but the cleaning crew probably needs a pep talk.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
DelamarS, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, April 24, 2011
Dear SuiteLover,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Embassy Suites! Your comments as a guest here, mean everything to our success!

We are very glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast and were able to use some of our fantastic facilities. I am sorry that you experienced some difficulty with the cleanliness of some areas, other than your guestroom. This is taken to heart and our team will continue to strive for excellence, as we make changes and set goals everyday!

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I always try to stay at the Embassy Suites when in Charleston. The two rooms and fridge/microwave are a real bonus. The staff is very friendly & helpful, and the hotel is about as convenient as you can get. The mall is right across the street if you like shopping, and the hotel is within close driving or walking distance of all of Charleston's good cultural spots, shopping, and good restaurants... and of course close to the State Capitol. The rooms are spacious. The free breakfast is good. I love watching the goldfish in the pond! It is almost always very quiet. The cleanliness of the rooms has been a little hit-or-miss over the years, but overall I can't complain. I only wish that the internet wireless wasn't so expensive. And this past time, I stayed in a room with a glass shower stall instead of a curtain (no tub). Had never encountered this before. It was a little drafty. No big deal. They used to have Japanese TV station NHK but it was gone on my last visit. Still though, having stayed at many of Charleston's other hotels, I would readily pick Embassy Suites over the others, when possible. It is definitely the most comfortable and convenient one in the area! I don't have kids, but if you do, I'm sure this would be a good hotel for family traveling, too.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear MintTripper,

Thank you for stopping by and giving us your valued comments! We are very proud to know you seek out the Embassy Suites when you stay in Charleston, West Virginia!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Stayed here for an association exposition at the end of March, I am a Hilton rewards member and have surprisingly never stayed at Embassy Suits in the past. After my stay here, I plan to find more Embassy hotels to stay in when I travel.

The rooms are (obviously) suits, twice the size of my usual Hilton room and I found this room to have been exceptionally well kept and up to date. I found the bathroom to be newly configured complete with European shower, wood and stone sink and basin, and the cleanest fluffiest fresh smelling towels ever encountered in a hotel. The room also had 2 flat screen TV’s comfortable bed chairs, couch and in addition to the standard desk found in every other hotel, Embassy suits provides a dinning table, coffee table and separate seating in the front part of the suite.

The maids obviously take pride in their daily routine, not only was my room extremely clean and fresh smelling when I arrived, it was cleaned just as well every morning (unlike Hilton, who leaves un-fluffed towels on racks and leaves trash in cans until the end of my stay)

The Lobby and atrium are truly impressive, I felt as if I was staying at a resort rather than a business hotel. Amongst the garden like environment are streams and waterfalls, I walked through the “lobby” and whilst crossing an iron railed bridge was pleasantly surprised to come upon a grand piano.

Access to my room was easily served by 3 (yes, most definitely 3) elevators. I had read other reviews here indicating only 2, but there are 3. Agreeably, the breakfast buffet and omelet bar are reason enough to return. The evening reception was also agreeable as we found the bar served complementary mixed drinks along with beer and wine.

I had read previous reviews and was prepared for the “awkward” parking; I wasn’t prepared for management’s indifference to our unique situation. Upon arrival, we had a SUV full of our display booth and sales material (we were here for an exposition). At check in, the woman at the front desk informed us we could use the side entrance to unload. This is obviously a public entrance, it has a canopy and signs posted that clearly state “loading ONLY”. We drove to the side of the hotel and found so many cars parked in the loading zone that we couldn’t even pull our SUV up. We rounded the block and went to the front desk to ask for help. A manager offered to help us find the owners of some of the vehicles (obviously not loading or unloading anything) and we drove back to the side entrance.

While my associate was parked in the street, I ran inside this entrance to find the manager who had offered help. I was disappointed to find him “giggling” behind the front desk and felt I had obviously been forgotten. He did come outside with me at that point and observed the cars all blocking this entrance. He informed me that parking was a problem at the hotel and since they were at capacity he wouldn’t be able to find the owners of the cars or get them moved. He informed us we could probably stay parked in the street while we unloaded.

Shortly after he left us in the street, a Charleston police officer kindly disagreed and recommended we use the front entrance. We pulled around the block again, pulled up front and went to the same front desk manager. The front parking was equally packed and more busy than the side. The manager suggested we find the “closest” spot in the parking garage and said we could use a hotel cart to help. It was a huge inconvenience but we trudged through it. After an hour of moving, we took a break under the side canopy.

The manager who couldn’t find anyone to move a vehicle came out the side entrance with another employee. He said goodbye to her and that he would “see her tomorrow”.

My mouth dropped as I watched him get into his white Jeep Grand Cherokee, parked in prime unloading space right under the side canopy. His car had been there the whole time. I am certain nothing like that would have ever happened involving a Hilton manager.

Apart from parking, and the obvious indifference management has about this issue, this hotel is first class. We got over it and really enjoyed our stay. We will be staying at this hotel again every time we come to Charleston. Maybe we will even see the white Grand Cherokee under the side canopy, im sure next trip he will happily give up his private parking spot for paying guests.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Congratulations on fixing what was a problem the past few times I stayed in your hotel. I'm pleased to find your rooms are now some of the cleanest and tiediest rooms I stay in (and I see alot of hotel rooms in my business). Your complimentary morning breakfasts are outstanding (though seating could be better). I'm still a bit disappointed in the appitizers served during your evening reseption (can you even call poppcorn an appitizer), but you sure do make up for it every morning. Front desk staff seem cranky (maybe tierd of hearing the popcorn bin is empty again). Although, again I have to say, the housekeeping staff more than makes up for the grouchy front desk staff. Every morning when I would leave my room, I was greeted with a smile and kind words from a girl pushing a cleaning cart (its a great way to start a day). So, overall, I love this hotel because it gets my day started right!!! (not quite the best hotel to end my day in, but you guys are getting there).

• Stayed February 2011
DelamarS, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear Number1seller,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments! We sincerely appreciate the positive feedback! We are all very happy you enjoyed your time at the Embassy Suites. We have been working exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

We just returned from a one night stay! We traveled with our three oldest children (ages 6, 8, and 10.) Very nice hotel! Rooms very spacious. Our room had a separate living area which made it nice for the kids. They rented their own pay per view, while my husband and I were able to rent a different one on our TV. The beds were super comfy!
The hotel is extremely clean and user friendly. Very friendly staff and check in was a breeze. Absolutely no problem with the elevators. Two elevators were in operation during our stay. FANTASTIC fitness center! Our kids enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Towels are provided in the pool area which was very nice. The pool is a bit small, but nice. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again in a heartbeat. And eventhough there is a charge for Internet, it is very fast! Parking could be a little better! And just in case anyone out there would like to know, there is an Outback Steak House within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
DelamarS, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Dear WelovetheMarriott,

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Embassy Suites! It was nice to hear that our TEAM exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Checked in friday , checked out monday ... This embassy suites was by far the worst embassy I have ever stayed in.... The room looked like the bed was made and never cleaned .. Dirty carpets, dirty bathroom (hair on the toilet) .. The pool area was littered with garbage and towels everywhere... The sauna was just filthy ... Garbage cans at both the front and rear entrance over-flowing with trash.. The morning buffett is the eating hospital food, cold and tasteless !!!! When I called to the front desk to explained my concerns the clerk told me that the hotel was sold out and I would have to deal with it, or go to another hotel.. I can assure you one thing I will never stay there ever again !!!! OH ONE OTHER HUGH PPRBLEM , THE KIDS RUN AROUND THIS HOTEL LKE IT IS A PLAYGROUND, PLAYING TAG AND RUNNING ABOUT ... OF COURSE THERE IS NO SECURITY TO STOP THIS .... SO IT WENT ON ALL NIGHT LONG !!! GO FIGURE THE MANAGER LETTING THIS HAPPEN WHILE YOU TRY AND SLEEP .... THINK TWICE ABOUT STAYING HERE... ITS WORTH THE EXTRA COUPLE OF DOLLARS TO GO TO THE MARRIOTT ... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear Transendkiter,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Embassy Suites. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do aplologize for the issues you encoutered with your stay. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments, which help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of the hotel staff, please send an email to stacey.delamar@jqh.com, so we may address it with you directly.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Great hotel with plenty of ammenities, both in the hotel and nearby. A previous review was wrong; there are three elevators and all were working during our multiple stays. Nice mall across the street with a very good local restaurant (Tidewater Grille). Hotel restaurant is good with very attentive friendly service. Rooms are very large with separate living/sleeping areas. As is the case w/ all Embassy Suites there complimentary drinks in the evening. Typically, it's a snatch-and-grab with the guests loading up on free drinks as though they're going to the chair in the morning. Probably would be better if the hotel did not put forks out for the free appetizers, but you are all warned. In any event, the rooms are clean and the service is outstanding. No parking valet and a small lot, so be prepared to park a few steps away in the garage around the corner, but still a great value.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear Waylontdog,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback! We appreciate all of the wonderful things you noticed about the Embassy Suites and our staff! Everyone works very hard to ensure each guest feels special.

Again, thank you.

Hotel management

Been to Embassy Suites Charleston? Share your experiences!