“Lovely, Wonderful staff, but overpriced” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Fall Savings
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Gilbertsville, PA
“Lovely, Wonderful staff, but overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

We recently spent an overnight at Hillbrook. It is all of what the other reviewers have commented. A charming, lovely B & B with an excellent, welcoming and caring staff. Our room & bathroom were a nice size, especially the shower. We did the 5 course dinner, had a wonderful filet as the main course, and felt it was a good value for the money. Breakfast, while delicious (fruit, blueberry pancakes, and sausage), my husband was still hungry when we left. The 3 small pancakes were as light as air (a good thing) but not very filling. In retrospect to other B & Bs we have stayed in of the same caliber, there has always been muffins or pastries in addition to quite substantial breakfasts.

The rest of this review is based on other B & Bs we have stayed at throughout the east coast and most recently Carmel, California. We stay in upscale places, with costs typically ranging between $230 to $300, so I am comparing apples to apples. Our room was the Locke’s Nest and the cost was $299/night. In other B & Bs where we stayed, included in the cost, there has always been a late afternoon complimentary wine and cheese gathering or something like tea and pastries. Hillbrook did not offer this. In Carmel, and, in fairness, this is not something we have had anywhere else on the east coast, there was a chilled bottle of champagne waiting in our room when we got there and a small box of gourmet chocolates. All rooms got this – complimentary! Our absolutely gorgeous room, with fireplace, king bed, refrigerator, tv, etc. was about $40 more than Hillbrook and overlooking the cliffs and ocean. Included in the stay was a really nice spread of wine, various types of cheeses & crackers and a quite substantial breakfast the next morning. So, compared to what we received in Carmel & other B & Bs, we feel our room at Hillbrook was quite overpriced. Hillbrook had a small plate of cookies, sparkling water, and 2 chocolates waiting in our room. What a nice touch it would have been, while we were socializing with the other guests before dinner, in the inns lovely living room in front of the roaring fire, to have been offered something like complimentary wine and cheese. Had we stayed in one of the cheaper rooms at Hillbrook, I would not be making these comparisons. But for $299, I do not feel we got a good value.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2010
It was a pleasure to hear all your feedback and appreciate the time you shared in reviewing the Hillbrook Inn. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the wonderful shower, the roaring fire in one of my favorite spots in the inn and the other guests! As the owner of the establishment, I hope to use the information you supplied to better the Inn! I apologize that our staff did not ask if you had enough to eat. They are trained to ask you about your stay, if there was anything we could have done to make it more special and if breakfast was enjoyed. They are also trained to ask the question, "can we get you anything else this morning?". I will reiterate to the staff that they need to be clear, and ask if the guests are full and satisfied with the breakfast. We do not want anyone walking away hungry, and deeply apologize for this! We do hope to see you in the future and ask that you contact me direct when you call...because I want to make your next stay more memorable and valuable!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Hunt Valley, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this establishment in early October and enjoyed ourselves very much. We were in the Fall Cottage, which was lovely in every way (beautifully decorated, clean etc.). We brought our little dog who was most welcome (and although the dog was allowed in this room, there was absolutly no indication that any other pets had ever been in it. We would have loved the room with or without the dog, but it was great to have been able to bring him). The staff and owner were just as nice as could be. They even made breakfast just for us one day. This was a weekday and not their most busy time, yet we were treated royally anyway. The food was absolutly delicious and I enjoyed sharing conversation about various recipes. (Loved the baked apple with fresh whipped cream!). The grounds were just beautiful as well.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
It was such a pleasure to hear from you and enjoyed your visit to the Inn! Thank you for all the kind words and feedback. I will gladly forward this onto my staff, because they work so hard on keeping the rooms presentable at all times, and perfect even though some are pet friendly! I am also glad to hear you had one of my personal favorites, "The Baked Apple"! Those can get me in trouble! We look forward to visiting with you in the future.
Strasburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed one night for our anniversary and it was a very romantic setting. The property is beautiful and the room is lovely. I loved the historic feel of the home- they definitely kept it very true to it's nature. The only downside was the shower in the room we stayed (the lookout). It had a beautiful clawfoot tub with a hand held shower head. The problem was- it was not tiled in so water got everywhere and it was just not the most comfortable way to bathe. I think that's one upgrade that might be necessary but staying only one night it wasn't a big deal. The breakfast was also wonderful. I will definitely stay again but

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
I am so happy that you were able to visit us at the Hillbrook Inn. We are currently working hard to give better descriptions to the rooms and more photographs. Our web-site changes have been a year long project that we will continuously improve! In the meantime, we will do our best to answer any questions guests may have when booking a specific room, and will discuss with the staff on how to make that happen. We are also trying to take strides in creating spaces that are conducive to lifestyles, but at times we find it difficult to accomplish with the architecture and character of the Inn. We appreciate your honesty, your words and time. It only helps us grow and learn from the guests! We look forward to seeing you in the future!
charles town wv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Our group enjoyed a lovely breakfast for our annual meeting. This year like previous years was special from the moment we entered the door. We were met by a cheerful staff and treated royally. The breakfast of warm apple bread pudding with caramel sauce with pecans and whipped cream was a true delight. Breakfast included grilled canadian bacon and scrambled eggs with vermont cheddar cheese. There were cherry tomatoes seasoned to perfection with an assortment of warm muffins. All of my guests were pleased with the service and food. This is an annual treat for our group and we look forward to next years event!!!!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Thank you for the kind words! The staff will enjoy hearing how much you enjoyed your annual meeting at the Hillbrook Inn. Your continual business and most of all support is deeply appreciated! We enjoy being a part of something so special every year...thank you for the opportunity!
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We had decided to escape form the city and spend the weekend in the country. The Hillbrook Inn offered exactly what we were hoping for. A comfortable, if somewhat small room – be forewarned, when they say that rooms are small, they mean it! - in a very quiet setting. The set five-course dinner menu was uncomplicated and decent enough- although nothing spectacular to write home about. Same would apply to the breakfast, although we were lucky to be there for the monthly brunch which offered a good variety of dishes.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
Thank you for your visit to the Hillbrook Inn! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the Brunch at Hillbrook. James Paul, the Brunch Chef has been working hard to make it a sumptuous and enjoyable experience for all to enjoy. As for your dining experience at dinner and breakfast, I will be sure to have a discussion and review menus with the Chef's that were cooking those meals. Allowing us to see what we can do to make a delightful and memorable experience at those times as well. We appreciate the time you spent at Hillbrook and sharing your experience with us so we can grow as a business and create a better experience for guests!
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

My husband and I shared a lovely, relaxing weekend at Hillbrook Inn in late August. Having never been to the area, I have to admit, we were a bit nervous. A European-like chateau in the middle of West Virginia? We feared something tacky and Disney-like, but that's not what we found at all. Hillbrook is a lovely more than 100-year-old Tudor home with creaky floors, nooks and crannies galore. It's filled with quirky and eclectic antiques, and the owners are accessible but not in your face. We loved it. There were a few hitches that keep me from giving it five stars, but I'd still recommend it to friends without reservation.

The room:
We loved our room, the Point. We were a bit nervous about it too, as it's the cheapest room available ($169), but it was perfectly fine. (In fact, we were really glad we didn't splurge for one of the more expensive suites. They're probably more spacious, but they're not part of the original house, which leads me to believe they lack some of the character we loved.) The Point isn't large, but it was certainly large enough for us. it has a full/queen bed, a decent-sized closet and a sitting area with a table and two chairs. You have to duck when you enter it through a tiny hallway, but that's part of the charm. Because it's right above the kitchen and the office, though, we could hear commotion downstairs in the morning. It didn't bother us, but if you're sensitive about noise, it might bother you. Another thing to know: no hair dryer or ironing board. Oh, and no TV either.

The breakfast:
Breakfast is included with your stay, which is quite a bargain. You eat whatever the chef prepares. One day we got a fruit plate and then pancakes with fresh whipped cream. Another day we got a yogurt parfait and then an omelet with sausage links. The coffee was some of the best I've had. And the breakfast room -- a solarium looking out on the grounds -- is lovely.

The dinner:
We decided to splurge for the $65/person five-course dinner, based mostly on the rave reviews we read on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, we were quite disappointed with the food. The dining experience, however, was wonderful. You eat in the home's lovely dining room. Think dark wood, high ceilings, candles. It feels very romantic and intimate, and indeed it is! The night we were there, there were five tables of two and one table of five. I doubt they could ever fit more than that. The food, though, was not what I expected for $65/person. First course: a spinach-pastry something-or-other topped with a deliciously tart sauce -- the whole thing was surprising, interesting and good. No complaints about this course. Second course: a simple salad with parmesan cheese. Really? A salad? That feels like cheating. Third course: penne with a light white sauce. It was fine. And it was homemade. But a basic pasta? That's not a particularly interesting culinary experience, if you ask me. Fourth course: filet mignon with asparagus. It tasted good, but again, this isn't what we expect of a restaurant that calls itself gourmet. FIfth course: for dessert, a chocolate cake. Again, good, but gourmet? No. If we had to make the choice again, we'd eat about five minutes away in Charles Town, where there was a restaurant called Dish that looked to have similarly fresh, simple, good foods, but much cheaper.

The grounds: There's enough space for a nice walk, but not enough for a run. We had a nice time lounging on a hammock. We were also very excited about the life-size chess game, but we were disappointed to realize so many pieces were missing that it was impossible to play.

Stuff to do: We mostly enjoyed a lazy weekend, but we also trekked to Harper's Ferry (about 20 minutes away) and went riving tubing on the Shenandoah (about 10 minutes away).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2010
Thank you so much for the lovely review. I know it wasn't perfect, but you had so many wonderful things we wanted to address. First, thank you for appreciating all the hidden nooks and crannies, and great architecture of the Inn. It is a little hidden jewel that we love deeply and enjoy sharing with others. In addition, I wanted to touch upon the hustle and bustle of the Inn. I have approached the staff to remind them that their could be a guest above them, and to remember to be courteous to the guests and their quiet time. Each guest chooses rooms or suites that are fitting to them and we would be happy to discuss every room at the Inn and describe what it has to offer. I will also advise my staff to remind guests of the Points exact location in the future. The cottages are in a separate building and have a lot to offer guests that like extra amenities. There are a total of four suites containing antiques, hand panted walls and as built to emulate the main house. Although it is a newer building it has its own set of charm and character. As for the hair dryer, iron and ironing board...housekeepers were told about this matter and they have been replaced. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I am so sorry that you did not enjoy the dining experience to the fullest. Our Chef works very hard to make sure our guests have a pleasant dining experience and I have shared this information with her. We hope that during a future visit you will mention your experience and allow us to create something more for you to enjoy! I also agree that the Dish is a wonderful restaurant and send guests weekly to visit Doug and his establishment. I also dine there often and can appreciate what they accomplish. I also wanted to let you know that a gift came in the mail this week! A NEW chess set from a guest. A guests at the Hillbrook Inn, that we enjoy having purchased and sent us a new chess set for guests to enjoy! The thoughtful gesture really touched us and we are so grateful for their kindness. These are the type of guests that visit the Hillbrook and we are blessed to enjoy the time with them during their visits. Thank you for taking the time to write this review for others to read it is helpful when planning a get-a-way and we enjoy hearing the feedback, because it helps us to grow and critique Hillbrook!
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Beautiful decore with antiques throughout and a first rate staff. Although the room (Locke's Nest) was very nice, it was overpriced (probably double what we would be willing to pay again for the same). We would definately come back for just the dinner; Christine Hale (Executive Chef) did an amazing job!

Unfortuantely the grounds are in need of some attention up close to the Inn. Front patio is crumbling and is actually kind of dangerous. Hot water takes a while (anytime of day) but once it gets going, it is pleantyful. Air conditioning (understanably window units) is not really adaquate, and the warmth was was uncomfortable in the breakfast room (converted porch) .

Overall an enjoyable stay but in my opinion, overpriced.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience of the Hillbrook Inn. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have hoped. We need to know feedback from our customers...the good and the bad...and will take everything you said into consideration. We also wanted to say we agree with some of your comments. The front terrace was in need of repair and we had it on the schedule for this summer. The gentleman just finished the work yesterday morning. We completed an entirely new front porch off the living room. It beautiful and now safe...which puts my mind to ease as well. In addition, we have been looking into air units that will help cool rooms in the future. Unfortunately we were unable to active it this year, we are hoping to do it in the future. The next room for a face lift is the lovely porch you were talking about! The new high energy efficient doors are here and again we are looking at new ways to cool this 1920's building (it can be a feat with the original glass windows and rock and log walls). We agree Christine is amazing and are glad you enjoyed the dining experience! We look forward to sharing Hillbrook with you in the future and hope that some of the changes we made will be noticed! As always we want your stay to be enjoyable and want to make your visit worth the value! Again thank you for your time, suggestions and most of all kind words.

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!