“Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed two nights in the Winter Cottage and just loved it. Such a pretty property, the breakfast was amazing, and the cottage itself was really nice inside. Has a fairy-tale type feel, everything was clean and neat, and we loved the bathroom whirlpool and shower.

Was a little pricey, but worth every penny after having been there. Great for our special occasion, would recommend to anyone!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
A honeymoon retreat is the perfect reason to visit Hillbrook. Congratulations on your marriage, and thank you for being our guests! We're so glad you enjoyed the Winter cottage and the gourmet breakfast. We hope to have you visit again in the future!

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I'm a little surprised at all the 5-star reviews...this was a 3-star experience for my boyfriend and I. Ricardo at the front desk was very helpful and gave a great little tour. The whole main house smelled kind of musty to me, though. The property is beautiful, but it really is in the middle of nowhere. The nearby town of Charles Town doesn't have much to offer, which we found out after deciding not to eat dinner on at the inn. With all the gratuities added to our bill (which wasn't helped that much by the Living Social deal we had), we just couldn't spend another $55 pp for dinner.

We stayed in the East suite, one of the larger rooms, in the Hawthorne House, and it was just okay. The fireplace was nice and the bed was comfortable, but I had an issue with the bathroom. The light above the shower was filled with stink bugs...you could see them through the vents. It was pretty gross and made me not enjoy my shower at all. The property was quiet, and we liked the bonus room with the pool table. And the iPad in the room was fun to play with and to use the internet. I thought it was strange that we couldn't control the temperature in the room. It was quite cold inside the the entire house, actually. We did call the front desk and the woman said she'd turn the AC down in our room, but we didn't notice a difference.

The breakfast was good...granola and yogurt with blueberries and sausage/potato strata. The coffee, however, was a bit weak. The best experience we had during the weekend was at the spa, which was good because you definitely pay for it. The couples massage was wonderful...relaxing, with friendly service. I returned with less muscle soreness than when I arrived :)

Overall, I didn't have a bad time, but I wouldn't return. I've paid the same at other B&B's and felt I got more for my money.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your review! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your spa experience and the extra amenities at the Hawthorn Estate. I will have our housekeeping staff take a look at the bathroom light immediately! We strive to make sure your experience is all it can be, so I am very sorry for your inconvenience.

I am also sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the local restaurant options. While there are several good options in town and nearby in Shepherdstown, we offer a gourmet dining experience to ensure our guests have a wonderful meal while staying at the inn.

I wish you had a better experience and greatly appreciate your feedback! If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Alexandria, Virginny, USandA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I had never heard of this place, and managed to find it online. Reservations were easy and I immediately received a personalized response requesting dinner preferences. I opted for the 8pm dinner seating for my wife and me.

We arrived about 4 and were checked in by Ricardo, very helpful. He made us each a welcome drink, and even an extra when my wife complimented it. He gave us a quick tour of the main house and directions to our spot in the Winter Cottage, a few hundred yards up-property, away from the main house, but within walking distance on nice and lighted paths.

The main house offers a small "tavern" which is really just a three-person bar which doubles as the check-in desk. In the house is a game room and a reading room, and two small rooms which serve as the seating areas for breakfast and dinner. We had the 5-course meal with the wine pairings, which was very good

There is ample parking throughout the property. The property is off the main road and down a small lane, secluded and forested. The inn itself is a historic manor house. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained, with a genuine murmuring brook running right through the property. They have hammocks, rope swings and chairs if you'd like to sit outside.

Room: The cottages, one for each season, aren't separate cottages; they are four cottages set inside an out-building. I didn't hear a single sound from any of the other residents during our entire stay--very nice. The room sis very well appointed and furnished (2 wingback chairs), with a gigantic bed. There is a gas fireplace, all set to go, which worked perfectly. Big flat-screen TV with a great selection of channels, but no PPV or other Lodgenet-like choices. Both the main room and bathroom have high ceilings and recessed lighting as well as floor and table lamps in the main room.

Temperature is controlled by a thermostat, and there is also a ceiling fan. Closet space is a bit limited with a small corner built-in, but is more than adequate for a night or two. There is a lot of reading material in the room, magazine and a number of books in the cabinets in the room, along with a choice of two bottles of wine..

Also in the room is an iPad, so you can do limited Internet, games, news, and there it defaults to a slide show of property photos. This is a really nice touch, very impressive.

The bathroom was very nice, with a huge spa tub and separate shower, and double sinks. The lighting was a bit dim and the mirrors hung a bit low for the taller among us to shave. There is a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker in the bathroom, too, tucked behind the door.

We had breakfast the day of our departure, and it was hot and fresh, with extra eggs upon request.

My wife has already insisted that we return in the winter, ideally to get ourselves snowed in for a day or two. This place is a winner, very nicely done.

Room Tip: If going for a cottage, choose the Winter Cottage, as it looks out onto the main grounds.
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for the detailed and glowing review! We very much appreciate such wonderful feedback from our guests.

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our cottage suites. The cottages provide privacy with a variety of extra amenities, as you outlined so eloquently. The iPad, which we introduced a couple of years ago as an added benefit for our guests, is one amenity that you can find in all 18 of our guest rooms.

Winter is a beautiful time of year to come visit us, especially when it snows. We look forward to seeing you then!

Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a romantic getaway to the Serenity Suite at Hillbrook Inn. The Serenity Suite is very private and thoughtfully planned out. It is above the Spa which is a short walk down a gravel road to the main house where you have your meals.
We opted to have the 3-course dinner on Saturday night and we were not disappointed. The soup was unique and memorable, the pork tenderloin was served with a tasty sauce, and the chocolate almond dessert finished the meal off perfectly. We wandered outside to finish our wine, and saw deer, a fox, and several bunnies.
The breakfast started with a fruit and yogurt parfait that hit a home-run. Then, we were served a breakfast casserole which was too heavy with potatoes. I wish we could have selected items for an omelet, instead. The coffee was delicious and the service was excellent.

I highly recommend the Spa. The hour massage was Heavenly.

On our way to the Inn, we stopped in Harper's Ferry (20 minutes away) for a light lunch, short hike, and a little window shopping. I highly recommend spending some time in this quaint crossroads where you see hikers off of the Appalachian trail, rafters heading down the Potomac, rock climbers scaling the cliffs, and trains blasting by.

We returned to DC feeling rested and ready for the week ahead.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Helping our guests achieve a restful stay is our main goal, so I'm glad to hear that your getaway from Washington D.C. was a relaxing one! A massage at our Gatehouse spa is a perfect way to rejuvenate and relieve stress, coupled with the private sauna in the Serenity Suite. And our three course meal is always a special treat!

I'm sorry to hear that the breakfast casserole wasn't your favorite. We do our best to accommodate our guests dietary needs, so please let us know what our Chef can make for you the next time you stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Elkridge, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We went for a weekend getaway to celebrate our anniversary and it was wonderful! All of the staff were really friendly and helpful.. dinner was delicious.. and breakfast was great too! I highly recommend staying here and make sure you take advantage of the excellent food.

Room Tip: Oops I accidentally clicked 'Excellent' for swimming pool but there wasn't a pool! We st...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for celebrating your anniversary with us!

West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had the most wonderful weekend of my life! The amazing people responsible for the execution of our day made it possible for me to have the most beautiful memories and the most special experience anyone could ever have. The decision my now husband and I made to have our wedding ceremony at The Hillbrook Inn could never ever be labeled anything less than perfect. The staff treated us as royalty and went above and beyond what I could have expected. My special wedding coordinator Marcy tended to every single detail.
The planning was on point, and every detail that I had specified, from my flowers right down to the details of my cake were more than I had dreamed. Marcy formed us a timeline that kept everything on time starting and ending. They made suggestions that worked perfectly and additions that made things more than I could have ever imagined! She listened to me when I had concerns and adjustments without dispute throughout the planning process.
I actually cannot think of one thing I had wanted that they said no to. If they did, they didn't let me know it, they just made alternatives that were better than my requests.
After everything was over, my husband and I left the ground to attend a family gathering after our intimate wedding ceremony at Hillbrook. Upon returning, all of our ceremony flowers, including my bouquet and centerpieces were lovingly put into glass vases and decorated our cottage. It was a perfect and a very romantic touch. I gave Marcy my iPhone earlier in the day to use for my first dance in the tavern, she used the camera and took pictures of my ceremony setup while I was too busy getting ready, I only discovered this after the fact. I completely cried because I never did get to see it before everything started. She just knew what to do to make everything perfect.
Besides all of those details, the food was WONDERFUL! We had our brunch chosen from our own selections and every guest was so full from eating all the food, there wasn't any room leftover for my cake :-) Which was okay, because I was full too. Our breakfast in the dining room before we left was also delicious. My husband does not care for yogurt, so when our first course was a yogurt parfait, he immediately handed over his dish for me to have. The waitress noticed when she returned and very nicely offered him a bowl of fruit instead. Although the menu is prefixed for everyone, they make small alternatives to accommodate to individual tastes.
We stayed in the Summer Cottage and plan to return to it every year. The wonderful King sized bed is so comfortable. I always have an issue sleeping in beds that are not my own, but I slept very peacefully in this one. The cottage is so inviting with the fireplace, the furniture, decor, large Jacuzzi tub, and everything else. There was just so many positives that I would never ever be able to describe it all in this review.
All that is left to say is that my husband and I plan to return to this wonderful place as often as we can be allowed. A part of both of our hearts were left behind when we left. The grounds and buildings are so breathtaking that even the strongest/uptight man would not be able to deny the beauty. Tears were definitely shed at our departure.

Room Tip: The cottages have everything you need, but my brother stayed in the main house at The Overlook. Very...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Cari,
I deeply appreciate your heartfelt comments and truly enjoyed reading the highlights of your special day. You captured the essence of what we try to do here at Hillbrook. We believe weddings and events are not cookie cutter - instead, they're tailored to the personality and needs of each couple. We intend to make sure every detail is covered so you can relax and enjoy your day. I'm so glad to hear you received that experience and then some! We hope you will make it a tradition to celebrate your anniversary with us every year. We look forward to seeing you again next June, if not sooner!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Thanks for a special anniversary getaway - the food was wonderful, the Fall Cottage was spacious and romantic, grounds were beautiful, and everyone was very friendly. We also had a super relaxing couples' massage. The only thing that could have been better would have been larger portion sizes for breakfast. Next time I'll just ask and not be shy! (can you do that?) Thanks to Bobbie for welcoming us and showing us around. Looking forward to coming back again...

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Brian,
Thank you for coming to celebrate your anniversary with us! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Fall cottage and your relaxing couples massage. I was disappointed, however, to hear about the portion sizes at breakfast, as we normally make sure our guests leave with their bellies full! In fact, many times the Chef will offer seconds after they've served everyone, so please don't hesitate to ask for more of something the next time you're here. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Owner/Innkeeper

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!