“A Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Best Rate, Book Direct!
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We arrived at the Hillbrook on June 1st, and stayed for three nights in the Bamford suite. We were celebrating our anniversary and "baby-moon". We had a truly wonderful time at the Hillbrook.

The Bamford suite was a pleasant room, with nice character. I liked the old wood and smoke smell through the room(Bamford still had a wood fireplace). We had a private porch with a beautiful view, and private drive. The tall bed provided a nice nights sleep. The wifi was not good enough to stream anything, but that was just a small complaint we had. The water pressure and temperature was always good.

Our first night, we ate at the Hillbrook. Chef Justin prepared our three course dinner, and we had a potato and leek soup and filet, and the entire dinner was delicious.

Our last night we also ate at the Hillbrook. That morning, Chef Roslyn came and spoke with us, and let us know we would be the only ones for the five course dinner. She allowed us to give our input for what we would like for dinner. We had a scallop and corn chowder, salad with roasted walnuts, filet, salmon and a wonderful chocolate-rasberry dessert. The entire meal was delicious, and Chef Roslyn made our dinner truly memorable. We had mentioned to Chef Roslyn that we were going to watch TV in the main room later, and when we went down there later, we found Chef Roslyn had left us a pitcher of ice water. Chef Roslyn really did make sure we had a great time, thank you!

Our breakfast every morning was always fresh and delicious.

The main inn and grounds are beautiful, and we took advantage of walking the property, and taking photographs throughout.

We got couple massages, with my wife getting the prenatal massage and facial. The massages were nice and relaxing.

We visited the area, and told a few people we were staying at the Hillbrook. They always asked if we ate there, and proceeded to excitedly tell us of their dining experience at the Hillbrook.

Everyone at the Hillbrook was friendly, helpful and made sure we had a great experience.

We had a great and memorable time at the Hillbrook, and came home and told everyone. We would enjoy staying at the Hillbrook again, and hopefully we will be able to again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Anniversaries and babymoons are great reasons for a romantic getaway at Hillbrook Inn. We're glad you came to stay with us!

Thank you for sharing your experience about our fine dining and staying in the Bamford suite. Within a couple of weeks, the bathroom in the Bamford suite will be completely remodeled, making the accommodations even more inviting. Hopefully you'll get the chance to see it the next time you're here!

Owner/Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I have been frequenting Hillbrook for about the last year and a half, and I probably should have written this review a long time ago! From our very first visit, all of the staff have made us feel welcome and comfortable. I don't think they have ever declined a request! The rooms are immaculate and every design detail has been well thought out. The spa is quaint and all the staff are professional.

The food is impeccable and Chef Justin pairs unsuspecting flavors to create a wonderful meal. The five course dinner is a must in our opinion. You miss out on two great courses when choosing the three course! The staff are so courteous during dinner and are always helpful, but give you plenty of privacy as well. Breakfast is so much fun to wake up to in the morning. We have never had a bad dining experience!

As far as the rooms are concerned, the serenity suite is amazing if you are looking for a romantic getaway. When coming with friends, we enjoy the Hawthorn House due to the billiard room and comfortable common areas.

The guest experience is their upmost priority and they keep things fresh with new experiences and activities. We have had a wonderful time making s'mores by the fire pit and listening to live music in the tavern.

There are plenty of things to do in the area as well. The casino and race track are about a 10 minute drive and there is a quaint farmer's market in town on Saturday mornings. Also, the Bloomery Plantation Distillery is a short drive and offers entertaining limoncello tastings that shouldn't be missed. You are a short drive from numerous wineries and Harper's Ferry as well. There is truly something for everyone!

All that being said, the staff make the experience unforgettable! They are laid back, great conversationalists, attentive, and helpful. We make Hillbrook a part of our regular travel plans due to the relaxing getaway it provides while still having outstanding dining experiences and convenient entertainment. We recommend it to everyone without hesitation!

Room Tip: The rooms at Hawthorn are beautiful and more modern, but you do have to drive a short few miles to t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chelsea,
Thank you for sharing your experience about Hillbrook being a "home away from home." That's certainly the philosophy we strive for when welcoming our guests. We're so glad you've been able to enjoy so many aspects of the Hillbrook experience, from our fine dining and spacious suites to the local area attractions. We appreciate your continued business and look forward to seeing you again next weekend!

springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

A year ago, my office presented me with a gift certificate to the inn as a gift. I took advantage of it when my sister joined me on one of our sister trips to the local civil war battlefield. We stayed in the summer cottage next to the main building. It was heaven! There was a fire place, large living area and bathroom. Two sisters need a large bathroom when traveling. The main building was relazing with a great breakfast served each morning. The staff was very friendly. We walked the grounds and watched as deer walked by the large chess board that is located near some trees. There is a small stream near by that flowed through the small grove that surrounded the whole location. As we drove up to the Inn, it reminded us of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. We hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: My sister looked on line at the rooms and picked the one that had the best view from the window.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for coming to visit us and for sharing your experience. Hillbrook Inn is located near several historic sites, so it's a great place to stay if you're interested in exploring Harpers Ferry or Antietam Battlefield. We're glad you and your sister were able to enjoy the area, as well as our beautiful grounds and the Summer cottage. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Chantilly, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Hillbrook is beautiful and only a hour away from northern VA. The grounds are stunning and the main house looks right out of a fairytale. Everyone was so nice and it was so peaceful and clean. I was truly impressed. I read great reviews before I arrived and it was still better then I could have imagined. Everything was perfect and I would not have changed anything. We stayed in the Winter cottage and it was so spacious and nice. There was a huge bathroom, king size bed and a fire place.

The food at Hillbrook was a tad pricey but really good. I would recommend it.

I don't like to go places twice because I like to try new things, but I need to return to Hillbrook.

Room Tip: There is a mainhouse, a hawthrone house (I didn't see it, it was further) and cottages. All very...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Tina,
Thank you for the glowing review! It's great to hear that the photos and reviews exceeded your expectations. We strive to ensure each guest has a memorable experience when they visit Hillbrook Inn. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent two nights at the Hillbrook in March. Everyone there was welcoming and very accommodating. The grounds are beautiful. It's close to things to do a short drive away.

The breakfasts were so good and we had the five course meal with wine pairing one of the nights and it was absolutely outstanding. You can tell the chef's have a real creative flair.

We stayed in the Snuggery and while it is a small room,the size of the room was not an issue for us. However, the there is barely enough room to get to other side of the bed past the wardrobe and we're not big people by any means. Also,this room only has a bathtub with a handheld shower head, which is not ideal for most people. It was fine for the two nights, but next time I'd choose a different room.

Overall a wonderful and relaxing getaway for us.

• Stayed March 2014
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for visiting us this past March. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the meals, grounds and local attractions. I also appreciate your feedback about the Snuggery room. In fact, we agree with you and are in the process of completely renovating the entire space. It will have newly finished wood floors, freshly painted walls, and a full stand-up shower for guests to enjoy. I hope you'll be back again soon so you can see the updates for yourself!

Owners/Innkeeper
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hillbrook Inn this past weekend. It was a surprise for my husband's birthday.

We stayed in the North Suite in the Hawthorne. For one, the Hawthorne house is just beautiful!! Our room was fabulous and very roomy. The Inn Keeper, Ricardo, was so friendly and helpful. He really made it a special weekend!!

Marcy helped us get a room on a booked weekend by calling me as soon as there was a cancellation. She was so helpful and got our reservation for breakfast, dinner, and the spa all taken care of so there was nothing to worry about when we got there.

On to the food! Oh my goodness, all I can say is amazing!!! I can tell you the chef prepared the most amazing dinner dishes we have ever had. The breakfast was just as impressive.

Overall this place is fabulous and we will DEFINITELY be going back!

Thank you so much!!

• Stayed April 2014
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review. I love hearing how much you enjoyed the food and that our staff made your stay extra special. It was our pleasure to help make your husband's birthday surprise a success. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Owner/Inkeeper
Chevy Chase, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday with 30 friends at Hillbrook this weekend. I don't think it is possible to say enough about the how incredibly special the staff made me and my entire group feel. We had cocktails and dinner (shrimp the size of your fist as a starter) and Filet Mignon that melted in your mouth! Justin the chef is a magician! Bobbie Z. coordinated our event, and was on top of every item. They took guest's food issues (gluten free, aversion to cheese) and catered to them individually, and handled last minute changes in stride (one person dropped out due to illness, and a few others had to leave early in the morning...she adjusted our bill accordingly, which we would have NEVER asked for). The rooms here as so, so lovely and each of our guests reported lovely interactions with the staff. A particular gem is the the Hawthorn house...it has a huge kitchen, four rooms, a pool table with darts and several living spaces. It was a perfect place to have a pre-welcome to our guests who arrived early before the event. If you are looking for a place to have an event I simply could not give a stronger endorsement. I feel so, so lucky to have been able to celebrate here

Room Tip: Hawthorn house is stunning, and the cottages are great. The serenity suite is STUNNING!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Meghan,
It was truly a pleasure working with you to plan your birthday celebration! We are delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed our staff, the food, and the various accommodations we offer at the inn. The Hawthorn Estate is perfect for groups like yours so everyone can gather together in one place. Thank you for sharing your experience - we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Owner/Innkeeper

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!