“Great for a weekend getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Fall Savings
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Washington, District of Columbia
“Great for a weekend getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My friend picked Hillbrook Inn for a girls weekend. It's a beautiful and quaint, roughly a 10-15 minute drive outside of downtown Charles Town. The Inn is located on 800 acres of land that was once owned by George Washington's family. We had a lovely tour of the property by Ricardo before making our way to the Farmhouse where we were staying. Since there were three of us, we had a spacious room with a king and queen bed. The bathroom was also massive. It had a separate shower and tub with a beautiful vanity. The bedroom looked like it was out of a Pottery Barn catalog. the house is also surrounded by apple orchards.

We had a five-course dinner at the inn. The food was excellent and catered to any intolerance or dietary restrictions we had. All dining tables are near a fireplace giving the meal a rustic, romantic feel. We enjoyed every course. Breakfast the next morning was also delicious.

I look forward to returning to Hillbrook, for another country getaway.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
I appreciate you sharing your experience about your recent stay with us. The Hillbrook Farmhouse is a beautiful property with rooms that are perfect for more than two guests, so I'm glad you were able to enjoy the space. It's also great to hear that dinner and breakfast were to your liking. We certainly look forward to spending another weekend with you in the future!

Owner/Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Dumfries, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I found Hillbrook Inn & Spa on Living Social as one of their featured escapes back in June 2013. Living Social was also running a promo code with additional savings and I just could not pass this up as an opportunity to book a nice trip for my wedding anniversary in January. My parents were also celebrating a milestone year so my mom also purchased. The deal was for one night in Snuggery, Lookout, Overlook, or Point. I went with the Point because my husband is tall and would prefer a shower as opposed to a tub. The irony is he almost didn't fit through the door. The Point's entrance is a narrow, yet charming tunnel. But nevertheless he was fine. The room was big enough for the two of us, had a iPad with Netflix on it for movies or quick room service, keurig, electric fireplace, and wine for an additional charge. We visited in January and this is an old manor so the room was cold but by the time we went to bed we were both comfortable. We were greeted by Marcy, one of the managers, and she was warm and friendly. She gave us a tour and we later enjoyed some complimentary hot chocolate. The grounds were beautifully snow covered and the fireplace was going. It really was the perfect setting. My parents were in Overlook where the entrance was located outdoors but features a balcony. The LS deal included $25 off of the 3 course prixe fix meal at 6pm so we all decided to participate in that. We were seated in one of the gorgeous dining rooms by the roaring wood fireplace. The first course was butternut squash soup and rolls. I am gluten free for medical reasons and they were more than happy to accommodate me. Second course was a perfectly cooked filet mignon, followed by apple tarts for my family and meringue soufflé for me. After dinner we decided to make the 15 minute drive to the casinos in Charles Town. When we returned the 5 course 8pm seating for dinner had concluded and my only complaint for the stay is that our room was situated above the kitchen and we could hear all the noise. This is an old manor and there is nothing they could have done about that. The next morning we enjoyed the 2 course breakfast that was included in the package. We overlooked the rear of the property and it was beautiful. We enjoyed a yogurt parfait with berries and an egg and potato bake with chicken sausage. Another part of the LS deal was $50 towards a spa treatment so we booked massages. We both really enjoyed them and it was a great way to end the trip. I felt that all the staff were exceptional and their hospitality was fantastic. For history lovers, the inn sits on land once owned by George Washington himself. I would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Overlook and Lookout entrances are located outside the building and have stairs up, this may not be...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for purchasing a Living Social deal to come stay with us at Hillbrook Inn. I'm so glad you and your mom were able to celebrate your anniversaries together! It's also great to hear that you were able to take advantage of everything we offer at the inn, like the dinner and spa services, as well as some local attractions.

Since the original home was built in the 1920s, the unique architecture of the eves and narrow doorways adorn several of the main house rooms. We do our best to ensure guests are not disturbed by any unwanted noises, but as you said, it can be difficult at times due to the layout of the home. If you're looking for a more quiet and private room, you may want to consider staying in a Cottage suite the next time you visit.

Thank you again for your sharing your feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I got this voucher in July 2013. Tried to book a room in the fall, but all the rooms were gone. Finally, we got a chance to check-in in Jan 10th 2014.
Everything was as described, the room was spacious and clean, as warm as home. The "free" breakfast were gorgeous. Everything in the hotel looked aged but nice.
However, the location were terrible. You have to drive about 10 miles to get some food and drink from Charles town. There were no light in the dark, I felt bad when I drove back home after dinner.
The bed were too soft for us and the water press were not good enough to have a comfort shower.
We stayed there just for one day and we found 3 buds in the room. It was in winter now and I thought it would be worse in summer.
After checked out,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Lei Wang,

I'm sorry to hear that you not completely satisfied with your recent visit. It seems as though the title of your review and the rating are not congruent with your experience since you said your room was "spacious and clean" and the breakfast was "gorgeous." Thank you for sharing those compliments - we certainly do appreciate it!

We were disappointed that you did not decide to dine with us during your stay because then you would not have had to travel off of the property. Since we are a quiet country inn located several miles from town, we make sure our guests have everything they need right on the property so they do not have to leave. That's also why we offer our Living Social guests a $25 credit to use toward dinner.

We wish we would have known while you were here that you were not happy with the shower pressure and the other things you mentioned. Although we had already upgraded you at no additional cost to one of our most luxurious suites, we would have been more than willing to move you to a different room if we knew you were not satisfied with the accommodations. We are also in the process of making adjustments to the property lighting to ensure the safety of our guests.

We do appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience.

Columbia, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This lovely inn is located on land that George Washington once owned. The setting is bucolic. The atmosphere is serene. You can stay in a quaint room in the original building or in one of the modern suites in the homes that have been more recently built. We stayed in the latter with every amenity available to us--even a common kitchen with homemade cookies for the taking.
The hospitable attitude of the staff is the first thing that will make you feel at home and the last thing you will forget. Everyone who works there seems to enjoy their job and serving their guests seems to be what gives them their greatest satisfaction.
We chose the five course prix fixe meal at dinner and were impressed with the servers and the food. The wine pairing was reasonably priced and most complementary of each course.
Breakfast was also served with panache in a sun room that provided a spectacular view of the property. The ground was beautifully snow covered while we were there. We could only fantasize about what it might be in the spring, summer, or fall. One could imbibe the grandeur of every season from this location.
Before we left we purchased a gift certificate for friends of ours. We probably should have picked up another for ourselves.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for writing such a nice review. We really appreciate when guests share their experience about staying with us! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our Farmhouse property, as well as our staff, the food, and the beautiful grounds. We look forward to having your friends stay with us, and we welcome you back to visit at another time of the year as well!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I chose this location for our Babymoon. From the customer service on the phone to the very last good-bye, the hospitality is BY FAR the best we have ever had. The food is incredible! We had dinner and breakfast there and could not get enough of the food. The location is cozy and romantic. The staff makes you feel like you have known them for years. We loved the tour of the home and glass of wine before we checked into our room. YOU MUST EXPERIENCE!

Room Tip: The main house could be a little nosier depending on the time you book. Next time we would stay in...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
You saying that "the hospitality is BY FAR the best we have ever had" is such a wonderful compliment. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad you enjoyed dining with us and getting to know our gracious staff. Congratulations on your new baby! We hope to see you again in the near future!

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a relaxing two day getaway, where we could take our dog. Hillbrook Inn was a perfect place. We stayed in the Summer Cottage, which sits behind the main building and has three other units. The room was large with a gas fireplace, king bed, large jacuzzi tub, and double shower. There is a small refrigerator, Keurig coffee machine and microwave.The iPad was also a nice touch. Even though the other three units were occupied the whole time, we never heard a sound, apparently well insulated. The grounds are large and scenic. Wonderful area for walking our dog. All the staff are very friendly and accommodating for your needs from the time you check-in, until you checkout. We especially want to thank Marcy, the manager, who reviewed our stay with us to be sure we were totally satisfied. My wife and I like to try new areas and Inns when we travel, but Hillbrook Inn is one we would definitely come back to again. They go out of their way to make sure your stay with them is a pleasant experience.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
I appreciate you sharing your experience about visiting with your dog. Our cottage suites are a great choice for pet owners who do not want to board their dog or leave him/her behind. And the grounds are a great place for dogs to explore new territory. I hope your pup enjoyed it as much as you did!

I'm glad to hear that you plan to return in the future. We look forward to having you stay with us once again!

North East, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I had purchased a Living Social deal a few months back for the Hillbrook Inn and had decided to use it for our 18th Anniversary getaway.

We both had a perfect anniversary weekend at Hillbrook. It far exceeded all of our expectations in every way.

The property was beautiful and due to a snowfall on the Saturday of our stay....the property became even more magical and like a winter wonderland.

There were touches everywhere to make people feel completely at home from being offered a welcome cocktail....to books and coffee, tea and homemade cookies in the lounge. Every one that we interacted with during our stay was helpful and kind and friendly.

We both took advantage of spa services and left feeling refreshed.

Each morning the breakfast was warm and delicious and the five course dinner that we splurged with for our anniversary dinner was one of the best we'd ever had. My husband mentioned to me that he felt like this must be how people felt dining in a manor house. *laughs*

Also...when we arrived on property, we found that the electric fireplace in our room was not working at the moment and were delighted and grateful to be given an upgrade to a fairytale cottage for our stay. This was so very kind and really MADE our weekend for us.

I would heartily suggest this Inn to anyone and have already talked it up to friends and family.

(Also...Harper's Ferry is very nearby and a delight to explore and 'Dish' is a restaurant right in Charles Town that we ate at on our first night in the area and we also had a delicious meal there.)

Room Tip: The cottages at the main property...the ones named for seasons (we were in Spring)..are beautiful an...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Hillbrook Inn is a wonderful getaway for special occasions, so I am delighted to hear that you chose to celebrate your 18th anniversary with us. Thank you for appreciating the special details that go into making each guests' stay a memorable one. I hope you will visit us again in the future!

Owner/Innkeeper

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!