“Nice getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We did a two night stay at the Hillbrook Inn. The grounds are beautiful as are the accommodations. We stayed at the Farmhouse which is located approximately 2 miles from the main lodge. We stayed at the Sunset room which I highly recommend. The room was beautiful, comfortable and clean. The bathroom was very luxurious. The Farmhouse is isolated with apple orchards on one side and fields on the other. If you're looking for peace and quiet this is the place to stay. You have access to a full kitchen, dining room, front porch and a deck on the back. Breakfast was included in our stay. You don't know what the meal will be until they actually serve it to you. The food was very good. We didn't have dinner there and that would be my one and only criticism. You don't know what you're getting until you have it served to you. Unfortunately, my wife and I are picky eaters so I want to know what I'm getting before i make a commitment
to have dinner. The staff was very attentive and friendly. I would definitely stay there again.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed staying at the Farmhouse. I also appreciate you sharing your feedback about the dining experience. Our talented culinary team prepares daily prix fixe menus designed to please even the most discerning pallets. However, we are more than willing to accommodate our guests’ dietary needs upon request. Hopefully you can stay with us again and try our three or five-course dinner next time!

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just enjoyed a two night pampered experience at the Farmhouse with two girlfriends. We all had our own suite and hope to return with friends next spring. The staff are attentive to every need -whether dietary or just plain comfort. The welcome received from Bobby at check in was very nice. Upon check in, your services during the stay are reviewed along with an automatic gratuity added for spa services; dinner ( we had the 3 course $45 dinner) along with tax/gratuity for dinner/breakfast. Nice that no unexpected charges at check out. At check in, staff review your dietary needs for both breakfast and dinner. The breakfasts both mornings were a delightful surprise -poached pear and eggs benedict with fresh fruit/juices and yogurt with raspberries/slivered almonds and veggie frittata with crisp bacon or sausage. Dinner is equally a surprise and only posted around 3 p.m. Chef Justin's dinner on Sunday was unbelievable. Potatoe/leek soup; grilled rockfish over polenta with beet glaze and sautéed brussel sprouts. All just delightfully presented and dessert -wow.......Freshly baked cookies available at Inn and in our Farmhouse. Rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated. Nice linens and Krueg machines in every room along with courtesy in room iPad. Like many, our visit was a result of a living social purchase which included a credit for dinner and spa service. While our stay was awesome, it was a bit pricey for a girls getaway. Would definitely return if there are future packages etc for returning guests.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
A girl’s getaway at Hillbrook is the perfect way to enjoy our well-appointed Farmhouse! I’m glad you appreciated the freshly bakes cookies, gourmet breakfasts, nice linens, and special room amenities that we provide to our guests. You may want to take advantage of our upcoming Black Friday promotion or Living Social getaway offer to book a return stay. We enjoyed having you and hope you and your girlfriends can visit again sometime!

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Over the past weekend we enjoyed a romantic stay at the Hillbrook Inn. The inn and grounds are gorgeous, and service is fairly attentive. One of the best parts of our stay was the courtesy in-room iPad. Through a living social deal, we opted to stay in the Snuggery. The room was cute, clean, and cozy. While the room does have a roman soaking tub, it is not ideal for two people as it's deep but not very long. We felt that the food and amenities were overpriced (which isn't unusual at certain fancy inns, but not what we as customer's are looking for). You are encouraged to make reservations for a 3- or 5-course dinner. At $45/person, this came to more than $100 with gratuity even with a $25 dining credit applied. You don't find out the menu (1 option) until the evening of. This can be fun & exciting for high rollers, but that is simply not us. It was far more than we usually spend on dinner. But for many, this could be suitable and it could be enjoyable to feel lavished and as if you don't need to leave the property. We just may be too young and too budget conscious to enjoy such amenities properly.

Overall, we truly enjoyed the service, walking the grounds and the room. I think most who seek out this inn won't be disappointed. The history was wonderful & everyone was kind.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Kirsten,
I appreciate you sharing your honest feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the property, as well as the service we provide to our guests. By offering deals through Living Social, our goal is to make it affordable for more guests to enjoy the “Hillbrook experience,” which includes our exceptional fine dining restaurant. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your thoughts!

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Winter Cottage was our home away from home for three nights during our "mini-moon" -- a short trip to get away close to home after our wedding. The cottage itself was cozy, inviting and well-appointed with a king-size bed, working fireplace (so nice!), iPad for personal use, television and very nice bathroom. (Just a note about the cottages: the four actually share walls, though with separate entrances and private porches. Even with other guests staying around us, we never heard anyone else; it was private and secluded.)

The seasonal cottages are a short walk from the main house, where breakfast and dinner are served. We made a dinner reservation for our first night at Hillbrook and really enjoyed our meal. Even in a very formal dining room, it didn't feel "stuffy." I actually felt very comfortable and really enjoyed our wanderings through the main house! Breakfasts were all very delicious and different each day, my favorites being the cinnamon baked apple and delicious spinach pastry pinwheel.

I would advise that the shower in the Winter Cottage has a very narrow opening; some guests may find it too small to enter. The spa tub worked well and was very relaxing. The housekeeping staff was very kind and on top of things -- new linens and extras were supplied each afternoon after we left for the day. Andy and Marcy were friendly and attentive to our needs, and seemed genuinely interested in ensuring our stay was pleasant.

We used our stay at Hillbrook as a springboard to visit Charles Town (where we had a great meal at the Mediterranean Cafe and enjoyed wandering into the shops) and Harpers Ferry, which was quiet in November -- but still worth a visit! The Hillbrook Inn was centrally located for our day trips and provided a very relaxing place to unwind at the end of the day. We enjoyed our time here and would return!

Room Tip: The seasonal cottages are a short walk from the main house, and the Winter Cottage seems to boast th...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
I am so glad you were able to enjoy your “mini-moon” with us. After a busy wedding weekend, I’m sure you were ready for a respite at Hillbrook! It’s great that you were able to explore the area a bit and get to know our caring staff. Congratulations, and we hope to see you again soon!

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I spent new years eve here -- my folks took care of the kids and we got a little getaway. The five course dinner was amazing! We come from a foodie city, so were lowering our expectations to average, but it was excellent, and far above what we had anticipated -- as was the yummy breakfast the next morning. The snowy grounds felt like a Christmas postcard, and our room was snuggly and quiet. It was so tastefully done, we were happy to stay inside much of the time, although had it been warmer we would have done lots of walking. THe staff was great, and the music they had for new years -- an excellent guitarist -- was also much higher quality than we expected.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaile,

Thank you for sharing your experience from last New Year’s Eve – just in time for our 2013 celebration! The same guitarist is returning again this year, and we are adding a four-piece jazz band as well. It is sure to be a lively and enjoyable way to ring in the New Year!

I appreciate your compliments about the grounds, the food, and our staff. I hope you can come back to stay with us again!

Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We spent one night to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. Stayed in the Serenity room in the Gatehouse above the spa. The room was absolutely beautiful and stands up to it's name.
My wife enjoyed a 3-hour mani/pedi/massage spa treatment. The entire staff was so attentive, friendly, and eager to accomodate. We both were amazed at the 5-course meal with the wine pairing presented by Chef Justin! Even in the off-season for produce, he was able to create the most delicious and tantilizing plates. Disappointed we couldn't spend another night of relaxation and pampering. Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: For a bit of privacy and seclusion, highly recommend the Serenity room. Soaking tub, double-head sh...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Hillbrook is a great place to celebrate special occasions, so I’m glad you got to enjoy your wife’s 50th with us! The Serenity Suite is aptly named for its serene setting and is conveniently located right above the spa.

It’s great that you were able to enjoy Chef Justin’s five-course dinner as well. Our entire culinary team aims to create exquisite meals with a touch of creativity and class. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Owings Mills, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I found Hillbrook through Living Social when I was looking for a quiet, relaxing break. I wanted nothing to do and the isolated setting delivered; but there seems to be lots of history and adventure nearby for those not wishing to sit around like me. I absolutely loved the autumn ambiance. I'm not sure where else I've been able to see so many stars at night.

My husband and I arrive to check in on a Sunday about 2:45. We were offered a prosecco cocktail with cranberry and grapefruit juice, checked in, and were given a brief tour of the main house. The tips for dinner, breakfast, and our spa treatments had been added to our statement and we were given a copy to review. We had to wait until a little after 3 to be shown to the Farmhouse (we followed a staff member by car). He gave a us a tour and let us know that cookies (macaroons and snickerdoodles) and microwave popcorn, bottled water, coffee, and tea were available gratis in the common kitchen. There were dishes and a refrigerator available as well. Everything in Farmhouse and the Main House was spotless.

The farmhouse was situated among a large apple orchard and several farms. The quiet, bucolic setting was exactly what I had been hoping for. We enjoyed a brief wander around the property. There are rockers on the fromt porch and plenty of seating on the back deck.

The Sunset room has a sitting room with a TV and sofa and a separate bedroom (king bed I believe) with a TV. The bathroom has double sinks and a walk-in rain shower. There was another couple staying upstairs, but we barely heard them. The bed in Sunset was a bit creaky and was quite high- I imagine a person with physical limitations mind find it difficult to get in and out.

The 3-course dinner started with rolls and butter. The first course was tomato soup garnished with cheddar. The entree was salmon or curried vegetable puff pastry (vegetarian option) with mashed potatoes and peppers and asparagus. Dessert was an apple tarte with creme. We both enjoyed the food, but I know that some picky eaters who would not have liked the way the meal is offered. Essentially, you have no choices, but they are very attentive to dietary restrictions. It's kind of like going to a friend's house for dinner, except you are paying :).

Breakfast(included) was steel-cut oats with apricots, cherries, and brown sugar, then banana pancakes with drunken strawberries and bacon. Juice was served and coffee and tea was self-serve.

The spa was very nice- I had the back treatment. I would do something different next time, but I felt that the aesthetician was very good at her job and the atmosphere was relaxing.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for writing such a detailed review! I especially liked how you described our fine dining experience as “kind of like going to a friend's house for dinner.” We certainly like to think of our guests as friends and make sure everyone feels right at home, so that is a wonderful description. Our prix fixe menus are designed to please even the most discerning pallets, and you are correct in saying we do our best to accommodate our guests’ special dietary needs.

I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the Farmhouse. The bed in the Sunset Suite is brand new, as are most of the other furnishings in the home, so I am not sure why the bed was creaky, but we will certainly have that addressed. We hope you can come back to stay with us again soon!

Owner/Innkeeper

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!