“lovely stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California, United States
“lovely stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I spent new years eve here -- my folks took care of the kids and we got a little getaway. The five course dinner was amazing! We come from a foodie city, so were lowering our expectations to average, but it was excellent, and far above what we had anticipated -- as was the yummy breakfast the next morning. The snowy grounds felt like a Christmas postcard, and our room was snuggly and quiet. It was so tastefully done, we were happy to stay inside much of the time, although had it been warmer we would have done lots of walking. THe staff was great, and the music they had for new years -- an excellent guitarist -- was also much higher quality than we expected.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaile,

Thank you for sharing your experience from last New Year’s Eve – just in time for our 2013 celebration! The same guitarist is returning again this year, and we are adding a four-piece jazz band as well. It is sure to be a lively and enjoyable way to ring in the New Year!

I appreciate your compliments about the grounds, the food, and our staff. I hope you can come back to stay with us again!

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We spent one night to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. Stayed in the Serenity room in the Gatehouse above the spa. The room was absolutely beautiful and stands up to it's name.
My wife enjoyed a 3-hour mani/pedi/massage spa treatment. The entire staff was so attentive, friendly, and eager to accomodate. We both were amazed at the 5-course meal with the wine pairing presented by Chef Justin! Even in the off-season for produce, he was able to create the most delicious and tantilizing plates. Disappointed we couldn't spend another night of relaxation and pampering. Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: For a bit of privacy and seclusion, highly recommend the Serenity room. Soaking tub, double-head sh...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Hillbrook is a great place to celebrate special occasions, so I’m glad you got to enjoy your wife’s 50th with us! The Serenity Suite is aptly named for its serene setting and is conveniently located right above the spa.

It’s great that you were able to enjoy Chef Justin’s five-course dinner as well. Our entire culinary team aims to create exquisite meals with a touch of creativity and class. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Owings Mills, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I found Hillbrook through Living Social when I was looking for a quiet, relaxing break. I wanted nothing to do and the isolated setting delivered; but there seems to be lots of history and adventure nearby for those not wishing to sit around like me. I absolutely loved the autumn ambiance. I'm not sure where else I've been able to see so many stars at night.

My husband and I arrive to check in on a Sunday about 2:45. We were offered a prosecco cocktail with cranberry and grapefruit juice, checked in, and were given a brief tour of the main house. The tips for dinner, breakfast, and our spa treatments had been added to our statement and we were given a copy to review. We had to wait until a little after 3 to be shown to the Farmhouse (we followed a staff member by car). He gave a us a tour and let us know that cookies (macaroons and snickerdoodles) and microwave popcorn, bottled water, coffee, and tea were available gratis in the common kitchen. There were dishes and a refrigerator available as well. Everything in Farmhouse and the Main House was spotless.

The farmhouse was situated among a large apple orchard and several farms. The quiet, bucolic setting was exactly what I had been hoping for. We enjoyed a brief wander around the property. There are rockers on the fromt porch and plenty of seating on the back deck.

The Sunset room has a sitting room with a TV and sofa and a separate bedroom (king bed I believe) with a TV. The bathroom has double sinks and a walk-in rain shower. There was another couple staying upstairs, but we barely heard them. The bed in Sunset was a bit creaky and was quite high- I imagine a person with physical limitations mind find it difficult to get in and out.

The 3-course dinner started with rolls and butter. The first course was tomato soup garnished with cheddar. The entree was salmon or curried vegetable puff pastry (vegetarian option) with mashed potatoes and peppers and asparagus. Dessert was an apple tarte with creme. We both enjoyed the food, but I know that some picky eaters who would not have liked the way the meal is offered. Essentially, you have no choices, but they are very attentive to dietary restrictions. It's kind of like going to a friend's house for dinner, except you are paying :).

Breakfast(included) was steel-cut oats with apricots, cherries, and brown sugar, then banana pancakes with drunken strawberries and bacon. Juice was served and coffee and tea was self-serve.

The spa was very nice- I had the back treatment. I would do something different next time, but I felt that the aesthetician was very good at her job and the atmosphere was relaxing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for writing such a detailed review! I especially liked how you described our fine dining experience as “kind of like going to a friend's house for dinner.” We certainly like to think of our guests as friends and make sure everyone feels right at home, so that is a wonderful description. Our prix fixe menus are designed to please even the most discerning pallets, and you are correct in saying we do our best to accommodate our guests’ special dietary needs.

I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the Farmhouse. The bed in the Sunset Suite is brand new, as are most of the other furnishings in the home, so I am not sure why the bed was creaky, but we will certainly have that addressed. We hope you can come back to stay with us again soon!

Beltsville, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I will start by saying that my fiancée and I love going to little weekend outings and staying in bed and breakfast and this is the first time we have ever booked the same place twice.

I was introduced to this place by LivingSocial went they had a special. My fiancée and I and another couple went on a couples weekend and it was beautiful. The staff was all very friendly and nice. The young couple that were managing (who also got married there, their wedding photobook is in one of the common rooms) was very sweet. They are not overly chatty (which I like) but were more then happy to answer any questions and book our last minute spa appointments. We stayed in the Sunrise and Sunset rooms in the Farmhouse (about 2 miles away from the main house) that was surrounded by an apple orchard. We stayed in the Sunset room (our friends in the Sunrise room). Both rooms were renovated with a nice "old world" charm and modern amenities. There was an iPad that was connected to internet available for our use during our stay. There was also an iPhone charging station (which was great because I forgot my charger!) There was a nice porch adjacent to our room (Sunset) and my fiancée and I had a nice quiet evening listening the music and dancing :-)

The deal included a spa credit and food credit which was great because otherwise we would have missed out one of the top 5 meals I have had in my life! (My #1 most delicious meal was at the Ashford Castle (circa 1200) in Cong, Mayo County, Ireland which I still dream about!). We had the 3 course dinner (there is also a choice of 5 course) and it was amazing. We had a squash soup, pork belly for the main course and pastry desert. They do accommodate any dietary restrictions. My fiancée does not eat pork so they gave him a beef main dish and my friend's fiancée is a vegetarian he had an eggplant (I think) instead of the pork. They also really enjoyed their meals. The was a small herb garden just behind the house that we saw the chef go out and pick some fresh herbs from and you could definitely tell in the food the ingredients were fresh and sessional and delicious.

The spa was lovely. My girlfriend and I had a couples massage while the boys played chess in the large outdoor chess set on the grounds. The masseurs were nice and the ambiance relaxing. As I mentioned earlier we had made last minute reservations for the massages and the Inn keeper was able to have them come in earlier in order to accommodate us.

Breakfast was a baked Alaska which was also good. A little too heavy for me but that is definitely just a personal opinion (I don't normally eat breakfast and when I do its definitely much lighter) but it was still lovely!

The only thing you should note is they charge everything to the room including a 20% gratuity (well earned in my opinion). It can definitely be easy to overspend that way (we had lots of drinks!) so be careful if you are on a budget! So no money is needed as you are in the inn.

The grounds that we saw were lovely! We did not explore as much as I would have likes (us girls were in heals for dinner) but I look forward to doing so on my next stay in late November! Despite there being a good amount of other guest we never felt super crowded. The grounds are very large. We were able to walk around and find nice quiet, private places to relax.

I was able to take advantage of a promotion they advertised for returning guests. Minutes after I emailed them that I had booked the room (I had emailed them to see which rooms the rate qualified for) I received an email back confirming that we had our dinner reservation set and checking if the dietary restrictions for my fiancée where the same (they clearly looked up the records for our last stay which I is great customer service).

I really liked this place the first time and am looking forward to a second stay!

Room Tip: There is no fitness center I am just not sure how to unselect it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Mia,
Thank you for writing such a thorough review! It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay – especially the three course dinner that was “one of the top five meals you’ve had in your life.” What a nice compliment! We’re so glad that you were able to enjoy the beautiful farmhouse with your friends, take advantage of our luxurious spa, and interact with our caring staff members. We look forward to you staying with us again later this month!

Innkeeper/Owner
Towson, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Hillbrook to celebrate our fourth anniversary. We arrived and were treated to complimentary beverages, and then went to the spa for a massage and pedicure. Both were wonderful and relaxing. We stayed at the Farmhouse in the Sunrise suite which was absolutely, amazingly (I really can't write enough adverbs here) beautiful. We both felt like we were in a dream. While the main house and grounds are picturesque as well, we really enjoyed the modern yet homey feel of the farmhouse. We also loved the free homemade cookies! We had the three course dinner that evening and the staff happily accommodated my boyfriend's dietary needs, even though we adjusted our request two hours before dinner. Breakfast was delicious both Monday and Tuesday morning. Our only complaint would be that coming from Vermont we would have liked some good maple syrup with our waffles, but truly that was our only complaint! The staff was great, and everything was stunningly beautiful. We're already planning our return!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Farmhouse for a spacious, updated room. The Farmhouse is also surrounded by an...
Leah,

What a pleasure to read your review and hear how much you enjoyed your stay at our Farmhouse property. The newly upgraded rooms certainly make for a comfortable and relaxing getaway!

We pay close attention to the small details that make your stay memorable – like the welcome drinks and homemade cookies – so I am glad you enjoyed them. We normally serve real maple syrup with breakfast, so I will talk to my staff about that. Next time you come, we will make sure you get to try our special orange zest syrup!

Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the Hillbrook Inn and took the wine tour that they offer, had the five-course dinner at their dining room and also did a cooking class with the executive chef who prepare our meal. We could not be happier with the service and attention to detail that we enjoy during our stay. We took the wine tour that the Inn offers with Tina who did a fantastic job and offered a light snack halfway through, which hit the spot. Dinner that night was great, Justin provided a great five-course meal that was very fresh and flavorful and accommodated the dining preferences of each guest. We had a cooking class with Justin the following day where we prepared goat cheese ravioli and a Pear, Leek and Parsnip soup that was very impressive if I may say so myself. The class was very hands on and Justin cured our fears of making fresh pasta by demonstrating how simple it can be. Overall the staff was very attentive and we really enjoyed our stay. We hope to come back again soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Locke's Nest, which was the highest room at the Inn and it was very spacious an...
Chris,

How wonderful to hear that you took advantage of the “extras” we offer during your stay. Touring the Northern Virginia wine trail and learning from one of our expert chefs are ideal options for things to do while visiting Hillbrook.

Thank you for writing such a great review and complimenting our wonderful staff. It is deeply appreciated!

Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We took advantage of a mid week special rate from their website and booked the Winter room for 2 nights. We loved the furnishings, especially the beautiful wood carved king bed, the gas fireplace, and the unique wall treatment. The view from our large window and patio was very peaceful, looking across a large expanse of green lawn with occasional Adirondack chairs, seating by a fire pit, hammocks, a swing, a stream with a small bridge, and the occasional neigh from the horses in the meadow next to us. Breakfast is included, and there is a coffee set-up in the room. A gravel walk connects the cottage containing the summer-fall-winter-spring rooms to the main house where meals are served -- a little tricky walking on it in heels. Breakfast is included. The first day breakfast was a fruit course, juice, scrambled eggs and bacon -- pretty good but something I might serve at home. The three course dinner that night was okay. The 1/2 inch thin steak had a good flavor but I thought a thicker cut of beef would have been much nicer. The second morning we had a fruit course, choice of fruit juices, egg frittata and sausage, and delicious warm raspberry scones -- a much better breakfast than the first day. Our second night, we had the five-course dinner with wine pairing, and the food was much better than the first night. Justin, our chef, came out after the meal to say hello, and he did a great job with the meal. The staff in the restaurant and throughout the inn were all very nice and helpful. We loved it here.

Room Tip: The winter, summer, fall, spring rooms are a 2 minute walk from the main house where you eat meals...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us in the Winter Cottage. That suite most certainly has a wonderful view of Hillbrook's expansive backyard. I am glad you were able to enjoy it as much as we do!

I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the meals, but I apologize that you did not receive a consistent dining experience on the days you were here. We aim to make sure each and every guest is pleased with the variety of meals we serve, no matter what day of the week they are here. Our culinary team is committed to providing gourmet meals that are a step above the rest.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again the future!

Owner/Innkeeper

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!