“Fantastic weekend stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic weekend stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We can't say enough glowing things about the Hillbrook Inn. When we booked, we knew we were arriving late, and had made plans to be able to get in and up to our room, but upon arrival, at 1:20am, Becky was waiting for us - totally above and beyond the call of duty! Their wait staff at breakfast, Ricardo and Kathy were wonderful, and Jim (the chef) created a fantastic meal for us. We were at Hillbrook for two nights, enjoyed their 5 course dinner with matching wine flights. It's a beautiful location with fantastic staff and we'd definitely come back! (Only negative was we stayed in the Locke's Nest - gorgeous room, but they could definitely use a new mattress - we kept rolling into the middle!)

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Our staff is truly amazing, so I’m glad you were able to experience that during your stay at Hillbrook. They consistently go above and beyond to make sure our guests’ needs are met.

Thank you for telling us about the issue with the bed. We will fix it immediately so that other guests do no have that experience.

We hope you will return soon, and we certainly appreciate you sharing your feedback!

Owner/Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We visited Hillbrook in 1993 for my husbands birthday and we had great memories of this place, so at the last minute we decided to come for our 24th anniversary. Our memories of Hillbrook as an enchanting getaway were not disappointed! The staff were all great; helpful, friendly, and attentive. We were there mid week so it was quiet with only a handful of other guests. We stayed in the Bamford suite and it is very nice. Comfortable bed, hot shower, comfortable seating and lovely views of the property. We hope to return again and not wait another 20 years!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We also hope you don’t wait another 20 years to visit us again! It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Bamford suite and that your experience lived up to what you remember. We greatly appreciate your feedback. Hope to see you again soon!

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Winter Cottage of the Hillbrook Inn last Friday night. We made reservations earlier that same day because it is often difficult to plan things ahead around working and better to be spontaneous if possible. Reservations with Andy were very easy to make, and in no time we were on our way.

When we arrived, Marcy (Andy's wife), signed us in and offered us a welcome drink. We enjoyed that and chatted for a while until Andy returned from showing other guests to their room. Marcy then showed us to our cottage and explained the amenities and such. We stayed at the Winter Cottage, and the room was beautiful, just as pictured on their website. Other reviewers commented on the fabulous view from the covered patio and 2 room windows, and we have to agree. Very peaceful and lush green with adirondack chairs placed around the property. There was also a hammock tied between 2 trees next to the brook. We saw a man in an adirondack chair reading, while his wife dozed on the hammock. This is not a place for lots of action or high energy; it is very quiet and peaceful.

Because the property with the adirondack chairs, hammock, brook & lush green sloping lawn is not reserved for only the Winter Cottage, we would suggest that any of the cottages (all attached to the Winter Cottage but facing different directions) or Inn rooms would be fine from that standpoint, especially in good weather, because you can just walk around the cottage building to the fabulous property view and relax within it as you see fit. Wish we could have stayed another night or two so we could have really gotten into relaxation mode even more.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
It’s great to hear that your last minute visit to Hillbrook was so enjoyable, and that Marcy and Andy were able to help you get settled. Our staff cares a great deal about making sure our guests have a relaxing experience when they stay with us. We hope you can return for a longer stay in the near future!

Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 5th anniversary at Hillbrook Inn on 10 August 2013 weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It was a total surprise for my husband which he very much enjoyed. We arrived early and were given a tour of the main house by Andy and were able to take lots of pictures before other guests arrived. Then a quick trip to Charles Town which is so quaint. We had a couple massage at the spa with Debbie and sadly I didn't catch the other ladies name and we were both very pleased at how relaxed we felt afterwards. It was great and they were both very pleasant, professional and friendly and made us feel at ease as this was a first for us both and we weren't sure what to expect. We stayed at the Farm House and were totally delighted with our room Sunset Suite. The Farm House is very updated and clean. Loved the kitchen! We also were able to check out the Hawthorne House and loved it as well and their kitchen is HUGE and every modern convenience you could imagine. Both properties were well maintained and updated with so much charm. The main Hillbrook Inn was delightful with its little hallways, special touches and rich history throughout each room. You can tell a lot of love and attention has gone into all the details down to a WC (Wash Closet) off the library. The sun room for the meals was charming and right next to it was the main dining room that was elegant and then their was an overflow a couple of steps up in the foyer area that housed guests so you could be in any room you chose and that was real nice. They served a butternut squash soup as the first course that I thought I wasn't going to like and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it! It was superb! It started out with a sweet taste, then a warm taste like a touch of curry or cayenne, onto a nutmeg - cinnamon taste and ended with a smooth pumpkin taste. Totally hooked on it now and searching internet to reproduce the taste. Service was friendly and spot on.
We were able to wander on the property and take as many pictures as we wanted to. They have a swing from a huge oak, a beautiful bridge with lions heads, several chairs and small tables on the back property and of course the lawn size chess set was a favorite for taking photos.
We couldn't have been more pleased with our weekend and would highly recommend to anyone. You won't be disappointed. It was only an hour and a half from where we live so it was a very pleasant journey to Summit Point and lots of cool things to take pictures of on your journey.
All thumbs up! We were disappointed that we didn't meet the owners of the property just to let them know what a great job they have done. I understand congratulations are in order for your upcoming baby!!!! Many more years of luck and prospering at Hillbook. It is Beautiful!
I posted as many photos as the site would allow and hope I touched on many of interest to others. I think it is helpful to be able to see others photos so thank you for the opportunity to post.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
What a joy to read your raving review! I’m so glad you were able to surprise your husband with a stay at Hillbrook. We do our best to ensure our guests’ spa and dining experiences are truly memorable in an environment filled with European charm. Our off-site properties offer a more modern hospitality experience, so it’s great that you got to experience both properties.

I am sorry that I was not able to meet you as well. Meeting the guests is really my favorite part of running an Inn! Thank you for sharing your photos and your feedback.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I chose the Hillbrook Inn as a surprise 20th anniversary present for my parents. Reservations were a breeze with Andy. I talked to him for about 30 minutes about how to make their stay perfect and tailored to their liking. He really was sooo wonderful! Although I didn't personally stay at the hillbrook, my parents had nothing but great things to say. They loved their couples massage, said it was one of the best ones they ever had. They did mention that it would be a little nicer if the room was a little dimmer to set the tone but as far as quality of the massage.. top notch! One of their favorite add ons for their stay was the cheese plate. They raved on and on about how large and delish it was. They actually packed the rest up and took it home with them! As far as dinner.. they said it was one of the most romantic dining experiences they've ever had. Even though it's a dining room with a few other couples present.. you hardly notice. Andy actually assured me this would be the case and I was so happy to hear from my parents that it was. Hillbrook was so eager to please.. they even placed a mini wedding cake that I had made into their room while they were at dinner for one last surprise. Every person I came in contact with (2 girls at front desk.. can't remember names) were very attentive and willing to help. Thank you girls for sneaking that cake in!! I'm so thankful for Hillbrook keeping their promise of a truly romantic and perfect stay for my parents! This is surely a stay they won't soon forget!!

• Stayed August 2013
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I’m delighted to hear that your parents enjoyed their experience! Our goal is to create a romantic setting where guests can relax and be pampered when they visit Hillbrook Inn & Spa. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff, our delicious food, and our exquisite grounds. I’m glad Andy and the rest of our staff were able to make it everything you hoped for!

We sincerely appreciate your parents’ feedback about the spa lighting. We aim to maintain the natural lighting in the spa room while creating a romantic feel, but we will certainly see how we can make the room dimmer on sunny days.

Many thanks for sharing your review. We hope you can visit us sometime as well!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Beautiful 1920s Tudor inn with period details and furniture. Lush, expanive acres of lawn surrounding the property, with little ponds and even a "life sized" outdoor chess board. You can take your dog. Easy parking. Close to DC. Very quiet--easy to get a great night's sleep.

Alas, the water pressure in the shower was very weak. So much so that I removed the shower head. Also, ther were lots of stairs to our room (the Snuggery), so if you or your dog have any walking difficulties, be warned. Also, our room was very small--not a problem for us, as we're both small people, but if you are taller than about 5'9" and you're a man, you may bump your head while using the toilet. No TV in the room, but that was OK with us--as was the window-unit AC.

Breakfast is included, but it was very runny "baked eggs," which we did not care for. I'm sure the idea is to offer a gourmet dish, but I would have preferred simple fried or scrambled eggs, with some toast and bacon. Or biscuits and gravy. Service was great, though, and gratuity is included in the room rate, which is nice.

Overall, a nice stay in a beautiful old inn.

Room Tip: If you're tall, are disabled, or are traveling with an animal who is, do not stay in the Snugger...
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about our property! We are very proud of our 1920’s European Style Inn and were happy to welcome you to the property. I appreciate your comments about the room, we are working hard to make updates to the property, and therefore, I have sent maintenance to the room to look at the tub per your review.

You are correct this is a smaller room, very quaint and tucked under the eaves of the house. The main house rooms emulate something you would see tucked away in the hills of Europe.
As for breakfast, I appreciate your feedback. The Chef has read your review and feels badly that you did not like the baked eggs. He has taken this into consideration for future guests at Hillbrook Inn & Spa. Often times when a guest is not happy we try to accommodate their requests. I know they provided you with scrambled eggs to accommodate your specific needs. We hope that was an acceptable solution to the issue you experienced. We try to balance between a gourmet breakfast and a simple breakfast. However we cannot always please everyone because some guests feel cheated if they don’t have a “gourmet breakfast “. Then there are the guests that prefer to have “simple”.

We promise to continue to provide quality food and service to every guest that walks through the doors at Hillbrook Inn!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I surprised my wife for her birthday with a weekend trip that included a 2 night stay, dinner, cooking class for 2 and massage all at Hillbrook. The staff were excellent and extremely helpful, especially with finding things to do in the area around Charles Town. The room was a little odd, but that's what you get when converting from a mansion to a b&b. We are tempted not to recommend to our friends for purely selfish reasons.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main inn and recommend it for any who choose Hillbrook.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hillbrook Inn & Spa to surprise your wife. It was an honor to share our space with you as well the “full experience”. I am also happy to hear that my staff was helpful in making sure you knew what direction to go in the local area. I understand why you want to keep us a secret…but we appreciate when you tell your friends as well. I look forward to future visits!

Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!