“Surprise 5th Anniversary for Husband” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Half Off Special!
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Surprise 5th Anniversary for Husband”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 5th anniversary at Hillbrook Inn on 10 August 2013 weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It was a total surprise for my husband which he very much enjoyed. We arrived early and were given a tour of the main house by Andy and were able to take lots of pictures before other guests arrived. Then a quick trip to Charles Town which is so quaint. We had a couple massage at the spa with Debbie and sadly I didn't catch the other ladies name and we were both very pleased at how relaxed we felt afterwards. It was great and they were both very pleasant, professional and friendly and made us feel at ease as this was a first for us both and we weren't sure what to expect. We stayed at the Farm House and were totally delighted with our room Sunset Suite. The Farm House is very updated and clean. Loved the kitchen! We also were able to check out the Hawthorne House and loved it as well and their kitchen is HUGE and every modern convenience you could imagine. Both properties were well maintained and updated with so much charm. The main Hillbrook Inn was delightful with its little hallways, special touches and rich history throughout each room. You can tell a lot of love and attention has gone into all the details down to a WC (Wash Closet) off the library. The sun room for the meals was charming and right next to it was the main dining room that was elegant and then their was an overflow a couple of steps up in the foyer area that housed guests so you could be in any room you chose and that was real nice. They served a butternut squash soup as the first course that I thought I wasn't going to like and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it! It was superb! It started out with a sweet taste, then a warm taste like a touch of curry or cayenne, onto a nutmeg - cinnamon taste and ended with a smooth pumpkin taste. Totally hooked on it now and searching internet to reproduce the taste. Service was friendly and spot on.
We were able to wander on the property and take as many pictures as we wanted to. They have a swing from a huge oak, a beautiful bridge with lions heads, several chairs and small tables on the back property and of course the lawn size chess set was a favorite for taking photos.
We couldn't have been more pleased with our weekend and would highly recommend to anyone. You won't be disappointed. It was only an hour and a half from where we live so it was a very pleasant journey to Summit Point and lots of cool things to take pictures of on your journey.
All thumbs up! We were disappointed that we didn't meet the owners of the property just to let them know what a great job they have done. I understand congratulations are in order for your upcoming baby!!!! Many more years of luck and prospering at Hillbook. It is Beautiful!
I posted as many photos as the site would allow and hope I touched on many of interest to others. I think it is helpful to be able to see others photos so thank you for the opportunity to post.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
What a joy to read your raving review! I’m so glad you were able to surprise your husband with a stay at Hillbrook. We do our best to ensure our guests’ spa and dining experiences are truly memorable in an environment filled with European charm. Our off-site properties offer a more modern hospitality experience, so it’s great that you got to experience both properties.

I am sorry that I was not able to meet you as well. Meeting the guests is really my favorite part of running an Inn! Thank you for sharing your photos and your feedback.

Owner/Innkeeper

258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I chose the Hillbrook Inn as a surprise 20th anniversary present for my parents. Reservations were a breeze with Andy. I talked to him for about 30 minutes about how to make their stay perfect and tailored to their liking. He really was sooo wonderful! Although I didn't personally stay at the hillbrook, my parents had nothing but great things to say. They loved their couples massage, said it was one of the best ones they ever had. They did mention that it would be a little nicer if the room was a little dimmer to set the tone but as far as quality of the massage.. top notch! One of their favorite add ons for their stay was the cheese plate. They raved on and on about how large and delish it was. They actually packed the rest up and took it home with them! As far as dinner.. they said it was one of the most romantic dining experiences they've ever had. Even though it's a dining room with a few other couples present.. you hardly notice. Andy actually assured me this would be the case and I was so happy to hear from my parents that it was. Hillbrook was so eager to please.. they even placed a mini wedding cake that I had made into their room while they were at dinner for one last surprise. Every person I came in contact with (2 girls at front desk.. can't remember names) were very attentive and willing to help. Thank you girls for sneaking that cake in!! I'm so thankful for Hillbrook keeping their promise of a truly romantic and perfect stay for my parents! This is surely a stay they won't soon forget!!

• Stayed August 2013
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I’m delighted to hear that your parents enjoyed their experience! Our goal is to create a romantic setting where guests can relax and be pampered when they visit Hillbrook Inn & Spa. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff, our delicious food, and our exquisite grounds. I’m glad Andy and the rest of our staff were able to make it everything you hoped for!

We sincerely appreciate your parents’ feedback about the spa lighting. We aim to maintain the natural lighting in the spa room while creating a romantic feel, but we will certainly see how we can make the room dimmer on sunny days.

Many thanks for sharing your review. We hope you can visit us sometime as well!

Owner/Innkeeper
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Beautiful 1920s Tudor inn with period details and furniture. Lush, expanive acres of lawn surrounding the property, with little ponds and even a "life sized" outdoor chess board. You can take your dog. Easy parking. Close to DC. Very quiet--easy to get a great night's sleep.

Alas, the water pressure in the shower was very weak. So much so that I removed the shower head. Also, ther were lots of stairs to our room (the Snuggery), so if you or your dog have any walking difficulties, be warned. Also, our room was very small--not a problem for us, as we're both small people, but if you are taller than about 5'9" and you're a man, you may bump your head while using the toilet. No TV in the room, but that was OK with us--as was the window-unit AC.

Breakfast is included, but it was very runny "baked eggs," which we did not care for. I'm sure the idea is to offer a gourmet dish, but I would have preferred simple fried or scrambled eggs, with some toast and bacon. Or biscuits and gravy. Service was great, though, and gratuity is included in the room rate, which is nice.

Overall, a nice stay in a beautiful old inn.

Room Tip: If you're tall, are disabled, or are traveling with an animal who is, do not stay in the Snugger...
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about our property! We are very proud of our 1920’s European Style Inn and were happy to welcome you to the property. I appreciate your comments about the room, we are working hard to make updates to the property, and therefore, I have sent maintenance to the room to look at the tub per your review.

You are correct this is a smaller room, very quaint and tucked under the eaves of the house. The main house rooms emulate something you would see tucked away in the hills of Europe.
As for breakfast, I appreciate your feedback. The Chef has read your review and feels badly that you did not like the baked eggs. He has taken this into consideration for future guests at Hillbrook Inn & Spa. Often times when a guest is not happy we try to accommodate their requests. I know they provided you with scrambled eggs to accommodate your specific needs. We hope that was an acceptable solution to the issue you experienced. We try to balance between a gourmet breakfast and a simple breakfast. However we cannot always please everyone because some guests feel cheated if they don’t have a “gourmet breakfast “. Then there are the guests that prefer to have “simple”.

We promise to continue to provide quality food and service to every guest that walks through the doors at Hillbrook Inn!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I surprised my wife for her birthday with a weekend trip that included a 2 night stay, dinner, cooking class for 2 and massage all at Hillbrook. The staff were excellent and extremely helpful, especially with finding things to do in the area around Charles Town. The room was a little odd, but that's what you get when converting from a mansion to a b&b. We are tempted not to recommend to our friends for purely selfish reasons.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main inn and recommend it for any who choose Hillbrook.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hillbrook Inn & Spa to surprise your wife. It was an honor to share our space with you as well the “full experience”. I am also happy to hear that my staff was helpful in making sure you knew what direction to go in the local area. I understand why you want to keep us a secret…but we appreciate when you tell your friends as well. I look forward to future visits!

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were looking for fine dining in Charles Town and someone suggested Hillbrook although it was a few miles out from town. When we arrived we were almost turned away because we did not have a reservation. Silly of me not to think ahead. I wasn't aware of their 'Prix Fixe' dinners which require advance notice due to the special preparations. We waited in the elegant lounge area and the bartender fixed us great drinks. We were in luck as they were able to arrange a dinner table for us. I felt a little under dressed in the room which was obviously full of couples on romantic dates. Gratefully, my wife is far more presentable than I am. The meal was excellent and each course was optionally paired with wine. The service was attentive and graceful. The Inn and the grounds were very attractive and serene. All of this is nestled into a a large chunk of wooded property that reminds me a of grand Victorian estate. We will definitely return again... and perhaps make a weekend of it sometime.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you visit the Hillbrook Inn! I am glad that you were spontaneous and thought of us. We were happy we were able to accommodate your visit and that you enjoyed the experience. We are looking forward to future visits.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We chose this deal with the purchase of a Living Social for two nights and based on the reviews. If you buy a living social deal they put you in a farmhouse about two miles away from the main Inn. The farmhouse is very nice looking from the outside but inside it was a nightmare. Lots of creaky noises on the stairs. We had an upstairs room and every noise made from the folks downstairs was so audible that it made for two nights of horror. It is way overpriced and the additions were out of control. They seemed to charge you for everything. The dinning experience was okay and the spa was not worth the money. Sorry but we will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hillbrook Inn & Spa for a two night stay in the farmhouse. This is a companion property that is located 2 miles from Hillbrook Main Estate. We have listed this on our web-site and also have the description on the confirmation letter. I will discuss with our team other ways we can make sure this is clear for the guests.

As for the words you utilized to describe the farmhouse, is not a description I have heard. I feel badly that this is your view of your visit and wish we would have known during your stay for several reasons. First, had we known you were upset you first night we could have looked to see if we could move your room. Second, I hope that you told the manager on duty about your experience when they asked you about your stay both mornings at breakfast so we could respond to your concerns or disappointment.

Thank you for your feedback about pricing. The price of your room was stated on voucher when purchased. It included a $25 dining credit and a $50 spa credit to put towards services. It is up to the guests if they feel that these services are something they want to take part in or not. When we run a special we also create a special landing page that describes the voucher in detail as well as give the information for “add-on” items. We have all pricing clearly listed on-line for additional items as well as on the IPad concierge app that is located in each guest room. I understand in business that we cannot please everyone and wish that we could have done more to provide you with the information prior to your arrival or during your stay. If you have any other suggestions we would be more than happy to listen because we want guests to feel that the communication is open as well as informative.

As for the spa we are sorry that the experience was not what you were expecting. It is important for us to receive this feedback and will share your opinion with the staff. If you would like to elaborate and give us reasons for us to review we would be happy to listen, because perception is the key to success.

In closing, thank you for your visit. Maybe it was not perfect, but having you here helps us to grow our business in other ways. So, we appreciate that we were able to welcome you to our property and share something that means a lot to us personally.

Fishersville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My daughter and I spent a night at Hillbrook as a high school graduation gift to her. When we arrived at the inn, we were upgraded to a larger room which was very much appreciated. Everyone on the staff was so friendly and accommodating. We did the "I Don't Want to Leave This Place" spa package and were very pampered! The whole day at the spa was wonderful. We ate a divine dinner at the inn and the chef did an excellent job catering to my daughter who is a very picky eater. Breakfast the next morning was very good as well. I emailed ahead of time that my daughter was picky and doesn't eat fruits or veggies. My only complaint is that during our spa day, they provided a lovely lunch of salad and fruit, bread and a pastry for dessert. So I ate most of her lunch along with mine and took her out for a hamburger later. But I was shocked when I got my bill to see that each lunch was $20. After tax and gratuity, I paid $50.40 for lunch for just myself! The lunch was delicious though. I highly recommend the spa pampering and eating dinner at the inn. I can't wait to return with my husband.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
It was an honor to share such a special occasion with you both. What a great accomplishment for you daughter. We wish her the best in her new adventure in life!

Thank you for all your kind words about our staff and facility. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy “I don’t want to leave this place” package and felt much pampered. I apologize that your daughter’s meal was not to her liking (typically we take all restrictions into consideration when planning menus). I am not sure what happened but I will bring it to the culinary team to discuss.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to future visits with your family! We hope you enjoyed the rest of your summer.

Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!