“Perfect surprise anniversary gift” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Fall Savings
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
“Perfect surprise anniversary gift”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I chose the Hillbrook Inn as a surprise 20th anniversary present for my parents. Reservations were a breeze with Andy. I talked to him for about 30 minutes about how to make their stay perfect and tailored to their liking. He really was sooo wonderful! Although I didn't personally stay at the hillbrook, my parents had nothing but great things to say. They loved their couples massage, said it was one of the best ones they ever had. They did mention that it would be a little nicer if the room was a little dimmer to set the tone but as far as quality of the massage.. top notch! One of their favorite add ons for their stay was the cheese plate. They raved on and on about how large and delish it was. They actually packed the rest up and took it home with them! As far as dinner.. they said it was one of the most romantic dining experiences they've ever had. Even though it's a dining room with a few other couples present.. you hardly notice. Andy actually assured me this would be the case and I was so happy to hear from my parents that it was. Hillbrook was so eager to please.. they even placed a mini wedding cake that I had made into their room while they were at dinner for one last surprise. Every person I came in contact with (2 girls at front desk.. can't remember names) were very attentive and willing to help. Thank you girls for sneaking that cake in!! I'm so thankful for Hillbrook keeping their promise of a truly romantic and perfect stay for my parents! This is surely a stay they won't soon forget!!

• Stayed August 2013
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I’m delighted to hear that your parents enjoyed their experience! Our goal is to create a romantic setting where guests can relax and be pampered when they visit Hillbrook Inn & Spa. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff, our delicious food, and our exquisite grounds. I’m glad Andy and the rest of our staff were able to make it everything you hoped for!

We sincerely appreciate your parents’ feedback about the spa lighting. We aim to maintain the natural lighting in the spa room while creating a romantic feel, but we will certainly see how we can make the room dimmer on sunny days.

Many thanks for sharing your review. We hope you can visit us sometime as well!

Owner/Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Beautiful 1920s Tudor inn with period details and furniture. Lush, expanive acres of lawn surrounding the property, with little ponds and even a "life sized" outdoor chess board. You can take your dog. Easy parking. Close to DC. Very quiet--easy to get a great night's sleep.

Alas, the water pressure in the shower was very weak. So much so that I removed the shower head. Also, ther were lots of stairs to our room (the Snuggery), so if you or your dog have any walking difficulties, be warned. Also, our room was very small--not a problem for us, as we're both small people, but if you are taller than about 5'9" and you're a man, you may bump your head while using the toilet. No TV in the room, but that was OK with us--as was the window-unit AC.

Breakfast is included, but it was very runny "baked eggs," which we did not care for. I'm sure the idea is to offer a gourmet dish, but I would have preferred simple fried or scrambled eggs, with some toast and bacon. Or biscuits and gravy. Service was great, though, and gratuity is included in the room rate, which is nice.

Overall, a nice stay in a beautiful old inn.

Room Tip: If you're tall, are disabled, or are traveling with an animal who is, do not stay in the Snugger...
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about our property! We are very proud of our 1920’s European Style Inn and were happy to welcome you to the property. I appreciate your comments about the room, we are working hard to make updates to the property, and therefore, I have sent maintenance to the room to look at the tub per your review.

You are correct this is a smaller room, very quaint and tucked under the eaves of the house. The main house rooms emulate something you would see tucked away in the hills of Europe.
As for breakfast, I appreciate your feedback. The Chef has read your review and feels badly that you did not like the baked eggs. He has taken this into consideration for future guests at Hillbrook Inn & Spa. Often times when a guest is not happy we try to accommodate their requests. I know they provided you with scrambled eggs to accommodate your specific needs. We hope that was an acceptable solution to the issue you experienced. We try to balance between a gourmet breakfast and a simple breakfast. However we cannot always please everyone because some guests feel cheated if they don’t have a “gourmet breakfast “. Then there are the guests that prefer to have “simple”.

We promise to continue to provide quality food and service to every guest that walks through the doors at Hillbrook Inn!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I surprised my wife for her birthday with a weekend trip that included a 2 night stay, dinner, cooking class for 2 and massage all at Hillbrook. The staff were excellent and extremely helpful, especially with finding things to do in the area around Charles Town. The room was a little odd, but that's what you get when converting from a mansion to a b&b. We are tempted not to recommend to our friends for purely selfish reasons.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main inn and recommend it for any who choose Hillbrook.
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hillbrook Inn & Spa to surprise your wife. It was an honor to share our space with you as well the “full experience”. I am also happy to hear that my staff was helpful in making sure you knew what direction to go in the local area. I understand why you want to keep us a secret…but we appreciate when you tell your friends as well. I look forward to future visits!

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were looking for fine dining in Charles Town and someone suggested Hillbrook although it was a few miles out from town. When we arrived we were almost turned away because we did not have a reservation. Silly of me not to think ahead. I wasn't aware of their 'Prix Fixe' dinners which require advance notice due to the special preparations. We waited in the elegant lounge area and the bartender fixed us great drinks. We were in luck as they were able to arrange a dinner table for us. I felt a little under dressed in the room which was obviously full of couples on romantic dates. Gratefully, my wife is far more presentable than I am. The meal was excellent and each course was optionally paired with wine. The service was attentive and graceful. The Inn and the grounds were very attractive and serene. All of this is nestled into a a large chunk of wooded property that reminds me a of grand Victorian estate. We will definitely return again... and perhaps make a weekend of it sometime.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you visit the Hillbrook Inn! I am glad that you were spontaneous and thought of us. We were happy we were able to accommodate your visit and that you enjoyed the experience. We are looking forward to future visits.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We chose this deal with the purchase of a Living Social for two nights and based on the reviews. If you buy a living social deal they put you in a farmhouse about two miles away from the main Inn. The farmhouse is very nice looking from the outside but inside it was a nightmare. Lots of creaky noises on the stairs. We had an upstairs room and every noise made from the folks downstairs was so audible that it made for two nights of horror. It is way overpriced and the additions were out of control. They seemed to charge you for everything. The dinning experience was okay and the spa was not worth the money. Sorry but we will not be returning.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hillbrook Inn & Spa for a two night stay in the farmhouse. This is a companion property that is located 2 miles from Hillbrook Main Estate. We have listed this on our web-site and also have the description on the confirmation letter. I will discuss with our team other ways we can make sure this is clear for the guests.

As for the words you utilized to describe the farmhouse, is not a description I have heard. I feel badly that this is your view of your visit and wish we would have known during your stay for several reasons. First, had we known you were upset you first night we could have looked to see if we could move your room. Second, I hope that you told the manager on duty about your experience when they asked you about your stay both mornings at breakfast so we could respond to your concerns or disappointment.

Thank you for your feedback about pricing. The price of your room was stated on voucher when purchased. It included a $25 dining credit and a $50 spa credit to put towards services. It is up to the guests if they feel that these services are something they want to take part in or not. When we run a special we also create a special landing page that describes the voucher in detail as well as give the information for “add-on” items. We have all pricing clearly listed on-line for additional items as well as on the IPad concierge app that is located in each guest room. I understand in business that we cannot please everyone and wish that we could have done more to provide you with the information prior to your arrival or during your stay. If you have any other suggestions we would be more than happy to listen because we want guests to feel that the communication is open as well as informative.

As for the spa we are sorry that the experience was not what you were expecting. It is important for us to receive this feedback and will share your opinion with the staff. If you would like to elaborate and give us reasons for us to review we would be happy to listen, because perception is the key to success.

In closing, thank you for your visit. Maybe it was not perfect, but having you here helps us to grow our business in other ways. So, we appreciate that we were able to welcome you to our property and share something that means a lot to us personally.

Fishersville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My daughter and I spent a night at Hillbrook as a high school graduation gift to her. When we arrived at the inn, we were upgraded to a larger room which was very much appreciated. Everyone on the staff was so friendly and accommodating. We did the "I Don't Want to Leave This Place" spa package and were very pampered! The whole day at the spa was wonderful. We ate a divine dinner at the inn and the chef did an excellent job catering to my daughter who is a very picky eater. Breakfast the next morning was very good as well. I emailed ahead of time that my daughter was picky and doesn't eat fruits or veggies. My only complaint is that during our spa day, they provided a lovely lunch of salad and fruit, bread and a pastry for dessert. So I ate most of her lunch along with mine and took her out for a hamburger later. But I was shocked when I got my bill to see that each lunch was $20. After tax and gratuity, I paid $50.40 for lunch for just myself! The lunch was delicious though. I highly recommend the spa pampering and eating dinner at the inn. I can't wait to return with my husband.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
It was an honor to share such a special occasion with you both. What a great accomplishment for you daughter. We wish her the best in her new adventure in life!

Thank you for all your kind words about our staff and facility. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy “I don’t want to leave this place” package and felt much pampered. I apologize that your daughter’s meal was not to her liking (typically we take all restrictions into consideration when planning menus). I am not sure what happened but I will bring it to the culinary team to discuss.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to future visits with your family! We hope you enjoyed the rest of your summer.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I had an overall very nice weekend at Hillbrook. Every person working there was delightful, and the room was generally comfortable. We stayed in the Bamford Suite, which is the largest room and is located in the main house.

The property is gorgeous and well kept. We saw lots of animals, including bunnies, geese, squirrels, and deer. It's a nice place when you feel like you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of regular life. The rooms don't have TV, which is fine with me, and they do have other conveniences like free wifi and iPads for guest use. There's also a non-functional record player, which would have been amazing if it were working. They have a nice common room with board games. It was nice having a Keurig in the room, and they provided good coffee and real half-and-half for that.

The main house was built in 1920, and it has a nice, rustic feel to it, though I don't necessarily like "rustic" when it comes to bathrooms and think it would be great if they'd modernized the bathroom just a tad. For example, there was no ventilation in the bathroom, and there was one exterior window that you can't cover up. The toilet was awkwardly placed in a small corner so it requires some contortion of the legs to sit down, and the shower's water pressure and temperature were difficult to control.

The pillows were comfortable, but the bed had a way too thick foam pad on it, so my sleep wasn't the best. The chairs and couches, however, were really soft and comfortable. Because it's an old house, the A/C isn't centralized, and the unit is really, really loud.

As far as food goes, we had a three-course dinner one night, and breakfast two mornings, and the food ranged from OK to good, with nothing spectacular, but nothing gross either. The food all tasted fine but was rather unimaginative, like pan-fried fish, a dry omelette, waffles, etc. If I go back again, I'll probably skip the expensive dinner and eat somewhere in town.

I got a facial at the spa, which cost $95 plus a mandatory $19 tip. I left feeling greasy and breaking out afterward, and I don't have sensitive skin, so I would strongly advise against getting a facial there.

One thing I really disliked was the 20 percent gratuity that was automatically added to the price of everything. Sure, they said that you could ask to have part of it taken off your bill after, but I'd feel like a real jerk for doing that. Even for the facial, which wasn't very good, the facialist was a nice lady, and I'd feel bad for doing that to her after the fact.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I appreciate that you took the time to write a review about the Hillbrook Inn & Spa and I am also happy to her that, “overall very nice weekend at Hillbrook”. Every person working there was delightful, and the room was generally comfortable. We stayed in the Bamford Suite, which is the largest room and is located in the main house.

I look forward to sharing your information about the grounds to the crew that takes care of it daily. They have been working hard in this hot weather to make sure that it is prepared for our guests visiting. I know you don’t really like the “rustic” feel, but appreciate that the house was built in the early 1920’s. The feedback on the bathroom is appreciated. It is something we are looking at updating in the future and have some ideas, however, the architecture of the old home does limit us a bit. The exterior window is fit with a blind and if it was not working properly we wished we would have been notified during your stay, therefore, we could have repaired or replaced it for you during your visit.

I will personally look at the bed and take a little rest to make sure that it is comfortable for our guests during their stay. I did have staff members stay in the room for several nights and critique it for us as well. It is always important to get different perspectives, because each of us has an opinion that can be taken into consideration. They did not mention the bed, but I will discuss it with them as well.

As for the dining experience, I will research your menus for the weekend and review it with the culinary team. I know that two of the Chefs have already read the review and have commented to me personally. Therefore, we thank you for taking the time to comment and give us your personal opinion and will take it into consideration.

As for the facial, I do hope that you told a manager on duty when they asked you how your services were before you departed. The product we utilize is not an abrasive product line, because it is all natural. I even allow my 10 year old little girl to use it daily.

I am sorry that you disliked the gratuity that was added to your billing, but understand if you wanted to make adjustments. It our policy states, “For all services provided at Hillbrook Inn & Spa, a 20% gratuity will be added to your bill. If you would like to make any adjustments to this, please let us know. We welcome your feedback so we can improve service for our guests. If you are an overnight guest at Hillbrook, items will be added to your final bill whenever possible.” It is listed in your confirmation letter, under policy on web-site, as well as told to guests when making reservations. This is done for more of a convenience to guests because they are travel from companion properties to Inn, allowing them just to enjoy themselves during their stay. If you are not happy with service, we would be more than happy to make a refund on gratuities. Please do not hesitate to contact in and advise us.
I deeply appreciate your honesty and your opinion because it helps us to look at the inn and priorities project and train employees. I appreciate your time and hope you enjoy the summer.

Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!