“Wonderful Treat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Fishersville
“Wonderful Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My daughter and I spent a night at Hillbrook as a high school graduation gift to her. When we arrived at the inn, we were upgraded to a larger room which was very much appreciated. Everyone on the staff was so friendly and accommodating. We did the "I Don't Want to Leave This Place" spa package and were very pampered! The whole day at the spa was wonderful. We ate a divine dinner at the inn and the chef did an excellent job catering to my daughter who is a very picky eater. Breakfast the next morning was very good as well. I emailed ahead of time that my daughter was picky and doesn't eat fruits or veggies. My only complaint is that during our spa day, they provided a lovely lunch of salad and fruit, bread and a pastry for dessert. So I ate most of her lunch along with mine and took her out for a hamburger later. But I was shocked when I got my bill to see that each lunch was $20. After tax and gratuity, I paid $50.40 for lunch for just myself! The lunch was delicious though. I highly recommend the spa pampering and eating dinner at the inn. I can't wait to return with my husband.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
It was an honor to share such a special occasion with you both. What a great accomplishment for you daughter. We wish her the best in her new adventure in life!

Thank you for all your kind words about our staff and facility. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy “I don’t want to leave this place” package and felt much pampered. I apologize that your daughter’s meal was not to her liking (typically we take all restrictions into consideration when planning menus). I am not sure what happened but I will bring it to the culinary team to discuss.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to future visits with your family! We hope you enjoyed the rest of your summer.

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I had an overall very nice weekend at Hillbrook. Every person working there was delightful, and the room was generally comfortable. We stayed in the Bamford Suite, which is the largest room and is located in the main house.

The property is gorgeous and well kept. We saw lots of animals, including bunnies, geese, squirrels, and deer. It's a nice place when you feel like you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of regular life. The rooms don't have TV, which is fine with me, and they do have other conveniences like free wifi and iPads for guest use. There's also a non-functional record player, which would have been amazing if it were working. They have a nice common room with board games. It was nice having a Keurig in the room, and they provided good coffee and real half-and-half for that.

The main house was built in 1920, and it has a nice, rustic feel to it, though I don't necessarily like "rustic" when it comes to bathrooms and think it would be great if they'd modernized the bathroom just a tad. For example, there was no ventilation in the bathroom, and there was one exterior window that you can't cover up. The toilet was awkwardly placed in a small corner so it requires some contortion of the legs to sit down, and the shower's water pressure and temperature were difficult to control.

The pillows were comfortable, but the bed had a way too thick foam pad on it, so my sleep wasn't the best. The chairs and couches, however, were really soft and comfortable. Because it's an old house, the A/C isn't centralized, and the unit is really, really loud.

As far as food goes, we had a three-course dinner one night, and breakfast two mornings, and the food ranged from OK to good, with nothing spectacular, but nothing gross either. The food all tasted fine but was rather unimaginative, like pan-fried fish, a dry omelette, waffles, etc. If I go back again, I'll probably skip the expensive dinner and eat somewhere in town.

I got a facial at the spa, which cost $95 plus a mandatory $19 tip. I left feeling greasy and breaking out afterward, and I don't have sensitive skin, so I would strongly advise against getting a facial there.

One thing I really disliked was the 20 percent gratuity that was automatically added to the price of everything. Sure, they said that you could ask to have part of it taken off your bill after, but I'd feel like a real jerk for doing that. Even for the facial, which wasn't very good, the facialist was a nice lady, and I'd feel bad for doing that to her after the fact.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I appreciate that you took the time to write a review about the Hillbrook Inn & Spa and I am also happy to her that, “overall very nice weekend at Hillbrook”. Every person working there was delightful, and the room was generally comfortable. We stayed in the Bamford Suite, which is the largest room and is located in the main house.

I look forward to sharing your information about the grounds to the crew that takes care of it daily. They have been working hard in this hot weather to make sure that it is prepared for our guests visiting. I know you don’t really like the “rustic” feel, but appreciate that the house was built in the early 1920’s. The feedback on the bathroom is appreciated. It is something we are looking at updating in the future and have some ideas, however, the architecture of the old home does limit us a bit. The exterior window is fit with a blind and if it was not working properly we wished we would have been notified during your stay, therefore, we could have repaired or replaced it for you during your visit.

I will personally look at the bed and take a little rest to make sure that it is comfortable for our guests during their stay. I did have staff members stay in the room for several nights and critique it for us as well. It is always important to get different perspectives, because each of us has an opinion that can be taken into consideration. They did not mention the bed, but I will discuss it with them as well.

As for the dining experience, I will research your menus for the weekend and review it with the culinary team. I know that two of the Chefs have already read the review and have commented to me personally. Therefore, we thank you for taking the time to comment and give us your personal opinion and will take it into consideration.

As for the facial, I do hope that you told a manager on duty when they asked you how your services were before you departed. The product we utilize is not an abrasive product line, because it is all natural. I even allow my 10 year old little girl to use it daily.

I am sorry that you disliked the gratuity that was added to your billing, but understand if you wanted to make adjustments. It our policy states, “For all services provided at Hillbrook Inn & Spa, a 20% gratuity will be added to your bill. If you would like to make any adjustments to this, please let us know. We welcome your feedback so we can improve service for our guests. If you are an overnight guest at Hillbrook, items will be added to your final bill whenever possible.” It is listed in your confirmation letter, under policy on web-site, as well as told to guests when making reservations. This is done for more of a convenience to guests because they are travel from companion properties to Inn, allowing them just to enjoy themselves during their stay. If you are not happy with service, we would be more than happy to make a refund on gratuities. Please do not hesitate to contact in and advise us.
I deeply appreciate your honesty and your opinion because it helps us to look at the inn and priorities project and train employees. I appreciate your time and hope you enjoy the summer.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband surprised with a trip to this amazing B&B. I was tired from the end of a long week and not thrilled to be away from home. Boy am I glad we went. The location is breathtaking and our suite in the Hawthorne House is potentially the most luxurious yet comfortable overnight stay I have ever had! We had th 5 course dinner, and Chef Justin's menu was delicious, seasonal and cooked to perfection. We will 100% be coming back to this charming hideaway.

Room Tip: The Hawthorne House suites are located about two miles from the main house, but I preferred the dist...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
I am thrilled to hear that Hillbrook Inn & Spa was a delightful surprise from your husband. It is always nice to get a little respite after a long week! We are happy that it was exactly what was needed and one of the most luxurious and comfortable overnights stays you ever had! In addition, it is exciting to hear that you enjoyed Chef Justin and his amazing menu. He is a wonderful person and a very talented Chef. We are blessed to have him as part of our team. We look forward to seeing you in the future and hope you have a wonderful day!

DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a great time at this charming B&B. We stayed in the Sunset Suite in the Farm House. We liked the fact that the Farm House was located away from the main property, as it gave us a lot of privacy. The suite itself was beautiful and modern. We had the 3 course dinner option which was really good, and my girlfriend enjoyed a massage at the spa, which was equally as good.

We used a Living Social voucher, which made the entire visit fairly priced. It can be expensive at the regular rates.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Hillbrook Inn & Spa is happy to be your “happy escape from the city”. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Farmhouse and all the privacy it had to offer you both during your visit. We are also happy to hear that you were able to come to the Main Hillbrook Estate to enjoy dinner and a spa service at the gatehouse spa. It was our pleasure to share Hillbrook with you and hope to visit with you again in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

It takes a bit of driving to get here but once I finally made it down the drive I was thrilled with the result.

It's such a beautiful location and a really lovely main building.

I was given the Summer Cottage and it was delightful. I love walking into a room and hearing welcoming music.

The flagstones and the decor were lovely.

The bed was super sumptuous and a little too soft for me, but that's not really a complaint. I just like firm beds.

The bathroom was very lush with a huge jacuzzi and double shower.

Microwave and fridge were in the bathroom.

I had dinner and breakfast in the dining room, but they would have delivered to my room on request.

I badly sprained my ankle just that morning and they kindly provided ice and vinegar for my injury.

This is the kind of place you want to stay a week in.

I went to the spa on the grounds for a massage the next morning and it was excellent.

I highly recommend this beautiful establishment.

Room Tip: Summer Cottage is really lovely.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hillbrook Inn & Spa during your tour of the United States! It was an honor to share our property with you. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the spa and got a chance to relax, especially after you slight stumble that day. I know you were not comfortable and glad we could assist with the vinegar and water.

I hope that if you return to the area that you will visit us again!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We found Hillbrook through a deal offered on LivingSocial and were not disappointed. The grounds are gorgeous and the staff friendly. I had gotten confused while booking and they graciously accommodated my mistake as best as possible.

We were greeted with a drink and tour before being shown to our room. We stayed in a suite in the Hawthorne building which was about 2 miles away from the main inn - the room was gorgeous, comfortable, and immaculate.

We signed up for that evening's three course dinner (you can choose 3 or 5). It was a bit pricey and formal for our usual tastes, but everything was fresh, delicious, and they accommodated my vegetarian diet without a hitch. Chef and staff follow up with you after the meal to ensure everything was to your liking, and I overheard the chef very graciously taking a preparation suggestion from a guest which I thought was very nice.

All the grounds are beautiful, with little details scattered about including hammocks and Adirondack chairs. We were happy to explore before returning to our room to relax for the evening. iPads are available in each room for guest use, although sadly, the wifi was down during our stay. Each area also offers a keurig for coffee and tea.

Breakfast the morning was less formal but equally delicious. As a vegetarian I did not feel jipped or disappointed - the kitchen clearly knows what they are doing. We checked out happily with an agreement that we definitely want to return. Definitely a great getaway for couples.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that the farmhouse and hawthorne suites are 2 miles from the main inn; it was fine for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I am happy to hear that you found us and enjoyed your visit to the Hillbrook Inn! I am also glad to know that we were able to accommodate you at our companion property known as Hawthorn. The beautifully appointed estate was reconstructed and opened as suites in February 2013. We are honored to share the property with you.

I personally remember approaching your table and I am glad that you enjoyed the evening. Chef Justin took special time in assuring you had a pleasant vegetarian meal prepared for you both. He even went to the farmers market that day to purchase special items for the seating. Our culinary team takes pride in making sure that every guest experiences the “Taste of Hillbrook”, and tries to create menus that are pleasing. Thank you for noticing all their efforts, they are happy to accommodate!

I apologize the Wi-Fi was down during your stay. There are perks to living in the country, but that is not one of them unfortunately. We have called frontier our internet provider and have had it fixed since your stay.

We would love to visit with you in the future and create another special experience! I appreciate all your feedback and hope you have a wonderful day!

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our daughters gave us a 2 night Living Social gift certificate. Never having heard of the Inn, I must admit I was a bit skeptical when I booked our stay for early June. To say that we were pleasantly surprised would be an understatement! From the moment we arrived for check-in, we encountered gracious hospitality in a lovely antique-filled setting, topped off by truly exquisite cuisine. We relaxed in the hammocks and grounds and kayaked on the Potomac. All in all, a truly lovely experience.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
I’m so glad your daughters treated you to a visit at Hillbrook Inn! I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and received excellent service from our friendly staff. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Owner/Innkeeper

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!