“Perfect escape from the city!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Fall Savings
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
DC
“Perfect escape from the city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a great time at this charming B&B. We stayed in the Sunset Suite in the Farm House. We liked the fact that the Farm House was located away from the main property, as it gave us a lot of privacy. The suite itself was beautiful and modern. We had the 3 course dinner option which was really good, and my girlfriend enjoyed a massage at the spa, which was equally as good.

We used a Living Social voucher, which made the entire visit fairly priced. It can be expensive at the regular rates.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Hillbrook Inn & Spa is happy to be your “happy escape from the city”. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Farmhouse and all the privacy it had to offer you both during your visit. We are also happy to hear that you were able to come to the Main Hillbrook Estate to enjoy dinner and a spa service at the gatehouse spa. It was our pleasure to share Hillbrook with you and hope to visit with you again in the future.

Carissa Zanella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

It takes a bit of driving to get here but once I finally made it down the drive I was thrilled with the result.

It's such a beautiful location and a really lovely main building.

I was given the Summer Cottage and it was delightful. I love walking into a room and hearing welcoming music.

The flagstones and the decor were lovely.

The bed was super sumptuous and a little too soft for me, but that's not really a complaint. I just like firm beds.

The bathroom was very lush with a huge jacuzzi and double shower.

Microwave and fridge were in the bathroom.

I had dinner and breakfast in the dining room, but they would have delivered to my room on request.

I badly sprained my ankle just that morning and they kindly provided ice and vinegar for my injury.

This is the kind of place you want to stay a week in.

I went to the spa on the grounds for a massage the next morning and it was excellent.

I highly recommend this beautiful establishment.

Room Tip: Summer Cottage is really lovely.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hillbrook Inn & Spa during your tour of the United States! It was an honor to share our property with you. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the spa and got a chance to relax, especially after you slight stumble that day. I know you were not comfortable and glad we could assist with the vinegar and water.

I hope that if you return to the area that you will visit us again!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We found Hillbrook through a deal offered on LivingSocial and were not disappointed. The grounds are gorgeous and the staff friendly. I had gotten confused while booking and they graciously accommodated my mistake as best as possible.

We were greeted with a drink and tour before being shown to our room. We stayed in a suite in the Hawthorne building which was about 2 miles away from the main inn - the room was gorgeous, comfortable, and immaculate.

We signed up for that evening's three course dinner (you can choose 3 or 5). It was a bit pricey and formal for our usual tastes, but everything was fresh, delicious, and they accommodated my vegetarian diet without a hitch. Chef and staff follow up with you after the meal to ensure everything was to your liking, and I overheard the chef very graciously taking a preparation suggestion from a guest which I thought was very nice.

All the grounds are beautiful, with little details scattered about including hammocks and Adirondack chairs. We were happy to explore before returning to our room to relax for the evening. iPads are available in each room for guest use, although sadly, the wifi was down during our stay. Each area also offers a keurig for coffee and tea.

Breakfast the morning was less formal but equally delicious. As a vegetarian I did not feel jipped or disappointed - the kitchen clearly knows what they are doing. We checked out happily with an agreement that we definitely want to return. Definitely a great getaway for couples.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that the farmhouse and hawthorne suites are 2 miles from the main inn; it was fine for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I am happy to hear that you found us and enjoyed your visit to the Hillbrook Inn! I am also glad to know that we were able to accommodate you at our companion property known as Hawthorn. The beautifully appointed estate was reconstructed and opened as suites in February 2013. We are honored to share the property with you.

I personally remember approaching your table and I am glad that you enjoyed the evening. Chef Justin took special time in assuring you had a pleasant vegetarian meal prepared for you both. He even went to the farmers market that day to purchase special items for the seating. Our culinary team takes pride in making sure that every guest experiences the “Taste of Hillbrook”, and tries to create menus that are pleasing. Thank you for noticing all their efforts, they are happy to accommodate!

I apologize the Wi-Fi was down during your stay. There are perks to living in the country, but that is not one of them unfortunately. We have called frontier our internet provider and have had it fixed since your stay.

We would love to visit with you in the future and create another special experience! I appreciate all your feedback and hope you have a wonderful day!

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our daughters gave us a 2 night Living Social gift certificate. Never having heard of the Inn, I must admit I was a bit skeptical when I booked our stay for early June. To say that we were pleasantly surprised would be an understatement! From the moment we arrived for check-in, we encountered gracious hospitality in a lovely antique-filled setting, topped off by truly exquisite cuisine. We relaxed in the hammocks and grounds and kayaked on the Potomac. All in all, a truly lovely experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
I’m so glad your daughters treated you to a visit at Hillbrook Inn! I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and received excellent service from our friendly staff. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Owner/Innkeeper
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed in the Farmhouse on a living social deal recently. There were four of us in our party, two in Sunrise and two in Summit suite. Sunrise can actually sleep four which we were unaware of. The farmhouse is almost two miles away from the main Hillbrook Inn and travel by car is a must. There are two main roads and a train track to cross to get to it. Would be great if the Farmhouse was in the grounds of the main site so you could have a nice walk to it. The rooms were very clean and modern with a coffee machine and iPad in them. However when we stayed there was a wifi issue at the Farmhouse. Staff tried very hard to rectify it but it was a fault in the whole area. Staff were accommodating to our needs and Linda the housekeeper was baking fresh cookies in the Farmhouse kitchen when we arrived. These were a lovely touch and were devoured by us! The restaurant food was to a very good standard and well presented, a very enjoyable stay. The only downside for us was having to drive to dinner and breakfast, that said the Farmhouse is a stunning and quiet location and there are rooms on site at the main inn if travel by car is an issue.

• Stayed May 2013
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay in our Hillbrook Farmhouse companion property. I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed the modern amenities and of course the fresh-baked cookies!

I sincerely apologize for any miscommunication regarding your sleeping arrangements or the distance from the inn, as well as the wifi issue. We offer a variety of rooms to meet our guests’ needs and preferences, many of which are conveniently located on the main property. The king and queen beds and double vanities in the Farmhouse Sunrise suite make it possible for more than two guests to comfortably stay in the room. This suite is perfect for a bridal party or a family with older children. Although we do try to post this on our website and in our confirmation letter, I will discuss with our staff better ways to communicate this information.

I hope you’ll return to stay with us again soon!

Owner/Innkeeper
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

If you need to get away from DC or are in the vicinity of Virginia or West Virginia, a wonderful hideaway spot is the Hillbrook Inn in Charles Town, WV. This place is so deliciously quaint that is has a charm as good as any inn we have ever stayed at! It is on land that was owned by George Washington; in fact, the town is names after Washington's brother Charles. The house is very authentic and look like out of an English Country Inn guidebook. The Inn itself has several layers of rooms cascading up the hillside.

There is one seating for dinner and two for breakfast and the food was superb! Special chefs from the area often come in to cook and the meal was as interesting and abundant as any we have had.

We stayed in the "Winter Cottage" that is at the back of the property. We would have happily spent days there it was so comfy! The amenities-a refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, and even an iPad - means you could spend a lazy weekend very comfortably! The bed was high, had a down comforter and pillows, and was easy to settle into!

The staff knew who we were, called us by our name, had such a cheery disposition you wanted to take them home with you. The grounds are huge, with shaded chairs, a hammock on the lawn, a life size chess set on the lawn.

We love this place and hope to go back!

Room Tip: Ask them..they gave us very good descriptions of each possibility and we loved what we picked!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for recommending the Hillbrook Inn & Spa as a hideaway! We try to make each individuals stay special and I am pleased to hear that you thought we were, “quaint and authentic”. It is wonderful to have visit the Inn and share in the experiences we create. It is our pleasure to get to know each of our guests and I am glad to hear that the staff members made you feel at home.
Thank you for stating our food was “superb”! Our culinary team includes, Chef Justin and Chef Jim. Both work very hard to create menus that are pleasurable to the palate utilizing only the freshest ingredients. We purchase from local growers when possible and also have our own green house for our culinary team to utilize.
Each room is unique and special! I am glad that you enjoyed the winter cottage, it often a favorite of guests. However, depending on a guest’s personal preference we have several rooms to choose from. Not only is there the old charm of the Main Estate, the Elegant Cottages, we can also offer guests our companion properties. The Hawthorn Estate sits amongst a beautiful apple orchard and is a total restored structure that offers acreage for strolls, a full game room including pool table and beautiful sitting spaces. Lastly, there is the Farmhouse that consists of a quant porch with rockers for relaxing. It also offers an area for cooking classes and beautifully appointed suites with sitting areas. On future visits we would be more than happy to show you the other properties.
We appreciate the time you took to write a review for Hillbrook and hope to visit with you in the future!
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

With a LivingSocial certificate in hand, we booked a suite at the inn for our anniversary. It turned out to be a wonderful experience. The staff was very helpful over the phone when I called to make our reservations the clerk steered us towards a massage for my wife and the 5 course dinner. When we arrived at the inn we were impressed by the idyllic setting and the beautiful Tudor style inn. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The food both for the dinner and the morning breakfast was excellent and we would highly recommend the 5 course dinner. The only short coming was an extremely limited wine list. Given the normal prices, look for some type of coupon/offer prior to booking.

Our recommendation is that you plan some extra time to take advantage of the grounds and facilities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for visiting the Hillbrook Inn! We were happy to celebrate your anniversary with you both and that it was a wonderful experience. Thank you for recommending the five-course dinner, it is an elegant experience that we enjoying sharing with guests. I am sorry to hear about the wine list. Currently we are in the process of creating a new wine list and building a new wine room; therefore, we appreciate your feedback. We are also very excited because in the next year we will be bottling our own wine as well.
As for pricing, please view our web-site for seasonal and mid-day rates because they differ. Thank you for your comments, they are deeply appreciated! We look forward to sharing Hillbrook Inn & Spa with you in the future.

Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!