“Tudor Charm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Tudor Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

With a LivingSocial certificate in hand, we booked a suite at the inn for our anniversary. It turned out to be a wonderful experience. The staff was very helpful over the phone when I called to make our reservations the clerk steered us towards a massage for my wife and the 5 course dinner. When we arrived at the inn we were impressed by the idyllic setting and the beautiful Tudor style inn. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The food both for the dinner and the morning breakfast was excellent and we would highly recommend the 5 course dinner. The only short coming was an extremely limited wine list. Given the normal prices, look for some type of coupon/offer prior to booking.

Our recommendation is that you plan some extra time to take advantage of the grounds and facilities.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for visiting the Hillbrook Inn! We were happy to celebrate your anniversary with you both and that it was a wonderful experience. Thank you for recommending the five-course dinner, it is an elegant experience that we enjoying sharing with guests. I am sorry to hear about the wine list. Currently we are in the process of creating a new wine list and building a new wine room; therefore, we appreciate your feedback. We are also very excited because in the next year we will be bottling our own wine as well.
As for pricing, please view our web-site for seasonal and mid-day rates because they differ. Thank you for your comments, they are deeply appreciated! We look forward to sharing Hillbrook Inn & Spa with you in the future.

Carissa Zanella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Rising Sun, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We arrived at Hillbrook not really knowing what to expect. The grounds were so beautiful on the way up the driveway that you could not help but start grinning. The inside was warm and cozy and the staff were so friendly and cheerful. We signed up for a private cooking class with Chef Mark and had an amazing morning of cooking and tasting. I had a full body massage at the spa that left me feeling so relaxed and refreshed.The 5 course dinner that night was so tasty and since I don't eat seafood the chef made a special course for me, Everyone is so friendly and the rooms are very unique. We enjoyed every second of our stay and are planning on making it an annual outing for ourselves. No doubt in our mind that WV has a hidden jewel in Hillbrook Inn for sure.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room that we had but next year we plan on trying a suite at the Hawthorn.
Dear WVgirlinMD,
We are happy to hear that the Hillbrook Inn & Spa was a delightful surprise as you drove down the driveway. I am blessed to see that view every day, so thank you for appreciating it! It was nice to hear that you had an opportunity to take part in our “Hillbrook Experiences” and enjoyed a cooking class with Mark, the Spa as well as a “Taste of Hillbrook” with the five-course dinner. Chef Justin was the Chef for the evening and I am happy to hear he was able to accommodate your dietary restriction. We enjoyed every second having you as a guest as much as you enjoyed being here. We look forward to future visits and your next visit at our companion property, Hawthorn. Enjoy the summer!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I bought this trip through a LivingSocial. It was my first time doing such so I was a bit skeptical. I was pleasantly surprised. The owner loves running an Inn and her enjoyment shines through. The food is yummy and the grounds are well kept. It is a relaxing property and I would highly recommend it for couples.

The owner goes above and beyond for you to enjoy your stay. She booked a dinner for us in town and even ordered an appetizer for us compliments of her! Wow!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
I’m so glad you decided to take advantage of our Living Social special and visit Hillbrook Inn! It was my pleasure to make your stay a memorable one. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and exquisite grounds. We hope to see you again very soon!

Owner/Innkeeper
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Beautiful inn, wonderful staff and service: overall, a great weekend getaway for me and the fiancee. We had the Living Social deal and stayed in a Farmhouse suite, which is their newer complex of three rooms and a huge shared kitchen area that is located about two miles away from the main Inn. While driving to and from the main area sometimes felt silly, it was worth it: our "Summit" room was new, very tastefully decorated, spacious and well appointed. Having an early morning coffee on the rocking chair out on the porch looking over expansive farmland was a real unique treat for this non-country girl.

We had a three course dinner there, which was great - as well as a scrumptious two-course breakfast. I also got a back, neck, and shoulder massage at the spa: a little pricey but soooo good. We both really appreciated the little treats and surprises: cookies and brownies in the kitchen to welcome us, hammocks and swings spread out on the grounds, little baby geese waddling about, a welcome drink during our short wait to check in, etc.

Overall a great trip that we'd recommend as a weekend trip that might include beautiful Harper's Ferry hikes and / or winery visits.

HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
“Beautiful inn, wonderful staff and service: overall, a great weekend getaway for me and the fiancée,” was a wonderful comment to ready. So, thank you for your kind words. I am so glad you had an opportunity to share our companion property “the Farmhouse”. We took pride in decorating the facility in furnishings that make the house comfortable for guests to enjoy. I am glad to hear that it was worth the drive, because we feel the property has so much to offer guests visiting Hillbrook. We have heard many comments about the front porch rockers and are glad guests are enjoying them. Sitting in the country can be so relaxing and sharing that with our guests means the world to us. Therefore, we thank you for your visit and hope to see you in the future.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I hosted my wedding reception at the Hillbrook Inn, and I could not have asked for a more beautiful location, more helpful staff, or a better experience overall. During the planning process, the owners were detail-oriented, prompt in answering questions, and always honest about things they could or could not accommodate with helpful suggestions for working around any issues that came up. It's a small, family owned and operated inn, and they work very hard to make sure no details slip through the cracks, that everything goes smoothly, and that all the guests are having a great time (they even drove my 85 year old grandmother to the side entrance in a golf cart when she couldn't navigate the stone walkway).

On the big day, the Hillbrook staff kept track of everything (and kept everything on time!), so I could just relax and enjoy the day. And the food was amazing (even this NYC foodie was extremely impressed!). They have a fantastic chef, and the guests were all raving about how delicious their meals were. The main house is a beautiful and charming structure with eclectic antique furnishings--the perfect atmosphere for my small, vintage-inspired wedding. The rooms are luxurious, and each one is unique. Plus, the inn is surrounded by natural beauty: flowers, trees, ponds with turtles swimming in them--the location is idyllic.

Thanks to the Hillbrook, it was a care-free, romantic, and happy day. My husband and I will definitely be back for a romantic getaway on our anniversary next year!

Room Tip: For privacy and luxury on a romantic trip, try one of the cottages with fireplaces & Jacuzzi tub...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
“A Beautiful Couple”…Sharing in your special day was such an honor Heidi! It was a joy to plan your event from the start to finish. Our goal is to make a wedding day as stress free as possible and leave nothing uncovered. Therefore, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your special day in a carefree manner.

You both were so wonderful to work with and the day was absolutely beautiful! So our deepest thanks to allowing us to host your event and play such an intricate part in the day! We wish you both a lifetime filled with love, laughter and happiness!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I recently attended a wedding reception at Hillbrook and subsequently spent the night in the Winter cottage. Dinner was absolutely delicious, with pleasant and efficient service, and during the reception the staff were very discreet and helpful. My room was enormous and extremely well-appointed, with a jacuzzi, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, two bottles of wine, a fireplace, a stocked bookcase, and even an iPad! It also had a private patio with beautiful views of the main house and grounds. It was a perfect place to relax after the party. Breakfast the next day was delicious, and the staff was very accommodating as family members remained to visit with each other and gradually check out. I didn't want to leave and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The cottages are spacious and quiet--a good choice if you want even more seclusion than the main hou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I am so happy to hear that Hillbrook Inn & Spa was a “beautiful, friendly getaway.” It is an honor to share someone’s wedding with them! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the dinner and it was delicious. I also appreciate all the kind comments about the staff. I will share your review with them because it shows all their hard work. Thank you for sharing Hillbrook with us on such a special occasion. We hope to visit with you in the future as well!

Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

A return visit, this time with my husband (who has never visited an historic inn/b&b before, so was rather reluctant). Stayed in the Bamford Suite. It is very spacious, with lots of seating options (which we, as avid readers, like), including a private patio . Yes, you can hear activity in the room upstairs (Locke's Nest, in which I stayed previously; as between the two, LN is quieter; BS is more spacious) and its interior door opens directly into the dining room. When staying in this room, I recommend the early breakfast (8:30) and if dining in, the late seating (8:00). Otherwise, you're bound to hear noise from the dining room.

Breakfast is offered at two seatings - request your seating when booking your reservation to get the time you want. It was delicious and plentiful. Seconds were provided to those who asked.

We had the 5-course dinner. The courses are determined by the dietary needs/restrictions of the diners. At $65 per person, it is very well priced compared with the dining options where I live. We opted for the wine pairings at $25 per person (4 full servings of varying sizes depending on the glass). This seating was fully booked, so I think the timing and some of the dishes suffered a bit for it. And, the menu seemed less sophisticated this time (though it may have been a product of the diners' needs). Both times dining here, the main entree was filet - excellently prepared (and the particular highlight this time).

Before dinner, guests gathered in the tavern, for a pre-dinner drink and live piano music - a very nice touch.

Had a facial at the spa - with Angie, I believe. It was well done, and with the $50 credit, very reasonably priced.

As between a Friday or Saturday night stay, I would choose Friday in future, as I was told Saturdays are busiest (and was true of this visit; though, we were in no way neglected). 99% of the guests were couples, though it's a great place for a girls' getaway (as was my first visit).

I'm at a loss regarding the reviewers who complain about the "nickle and diming", policies, and service. A 20% gratuity is added to all services (spa, dining) for which one normally tips. One expects to pay for drinks ordered at a bar. These are added to your bill, so you don't have to carry a wallet around the property, which is all part of the "retreat" ambiance. The night we dined, another couple mistakenly missed their 3-course seating, came to the 5-course seating, and were seated and served (despite a fully-booked restaurant). This was handled very professionally.

The service is individualized and attentive. The property is spacious and beautifully maintained. The rooms are immaculate. Tremendous care goes into the guests' experience, and it shows. I'll be back - again (and my husband said he would too)!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your experience at Hillbrook Inn & Spa – especially the piano music during cocktail hour!

I apologize for any inconvenience that the noise in adjacent rooms may have caused you. Both the Bamford Suite and Locke’s Nest reflect the architecture of when the home was constructed 100 years ago. Our cottage suites or the Serenity suite above our Gatehouse Spa may be better options for a guest seeking complete peace and quiet.

We do our best to cater to the needs of each guest by providing the very best dining and spa experience. I’m glad your husband’s massage and our five-course dinner added value to your stay. I will pass along the feedback to our staff to ensure our high quality dining experience is provided to all guests even when the inn is fully booked.

Again, we appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you at Hillbrook in the near future!

Owner/Innkeeper

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!