“Beautiful, friendly getaway.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Beautiful, friendly getaway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I recently attended a wedding reception at Hillbrook and subsequently spent the night in the Winter cottage. Dinner was absolutely delicious, with pleasant and efficient service, and during the reception the staff were very discreet and helpful. My room was enormous and extremely well-appointed, with a jacuzzi, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, two bottles of wine, a fireplace, a stocked bookcase, and even an iPad! It also had a private patio with beautiful views of the main house and grounds. It was a perfect place to relax after the party. Breakfast the next day was delicious, and the staff was very accommodating as family members remained to visit with each other and gradually check out. I didn't want to leave and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The cottages are spacious and quiet--a good choice if you want even more seclusion than the main hou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I am so happy to hear that Hillbrook Inn & Spa was a “beautiful, friendly getaway.” It is an honor to share someone’s wedding with them! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the dinner and it was delicious. I also appreciate all the kind comments about the staff. I will share your review with them because it shows all their hard work. Thank you for sharing Hillbrook with us on such a special occasion. We hope to visit with you in the future as well!

Carissa Zanella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

A return visit, this time with my husband (who has never visited an historic inn/b&b before, so was rather reluctant). Stayed in the Bamford Suite. It is very spacious, with lots of seating options (which we, as avid readers, like), including a private patio . Yes, you can hear activity in the room upstairs (Locke's Nest, in which I stayed previously; as between the two, LN is quieter; BS is more spacious) and its interior door opens directly into the dining room. When staying in this room, I recommend the early breakfast (8:30) and if dining in, the late seating (8:00). Otherwise, you're bound to hear noise from the dining room.

Breakfast is offered at two seatings - request your seating when booking your reservation to get the time you want. It was delicious and plentiful. Seconds were provided to those who asked.

We had the 5-course dinner. The courses are determined by the dietary needs/restrictions of the diners. At $65 per person, it is very well priced compared with the dining options where I live. We opted for the wine pairings at $25 per person (4 full servings of varying sizes depending on the glass). This seating was fully booked, so I think the timing and some of the dishes suffered a bit for it. And, the menu seemed less sophisticated this time (though it may have been a product of the diners' needs). Both times dining here, the main entree was filet - excellently prepared (and the particular highlight this time).

Before dinner, guests gathered in the tavern, for a pre-dinner drink and live piano music - a very nice touch.

Had a facial at the spa - with Angie, I believe. It was well done, and with the $50 credit, very reasonably priced.

As between a Friday or Saturday night stay, I would choose Friday in future, as I was told Saturdays are busiest (and was true of this visit; though, we were in no way neglected). 99% of the guests were couples, though it's a great place for a girls' getaway (as was my first visit).

I'm at a loss regarding the reviewers who complain about the "nickle and diming", policies, and service. A 20% gratuity is added to all services (spa, dining) for which one normally tips. One expects to pay for drinks ordered at a bar. These are added to your bill, so you don't have to carry a wallet around the property, which is all part of the "retreat" ambiance. The night we dined, another couple mistakenly missed their 3-course seating, came to the 5-course seating, and were seated and served (despite a fully-booked restaurant). This was handled very professionally.

The service is individualized and attentive. The property is spacious and beautifully maintained. The rooms are immaculate. Tremendous care goes into the guests' experience, and it shows. I'll be back - again (and my husband said he would too)!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your experience at Hillbrook Inn & Spa – especially the piano music during cocktail hour!

I apologize for any inconvenience that the noise in adjacent rooms may have caused you. Both the Bamford Suite and Locke’s Nest reflect the architecture of when the home was constructed 100 years ago. Our cottage suites or the Serenity suite above our Gatehouse Spa may be better options for a guest seeking complete peace and quiet.

We do our best to cater to the needs of each guest by providing the very best dining and spa experience. I’m glad your husband’s massage and our five-course dinner added value to your stay. I will pass along the feedback to our staff to ensure our high quality dining experience is provided to all guests even when the inn is fully booked.

Again, we appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you at Hillbrook in the near future!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Hillbrook Inn for the first time and overall had a very enjoyable time. We stayed in the Farmhouse suites. The room was immaculate, you could eat off the floor. This was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. There is a big screen TV and and a great bathroom. My mother got a manicure from Becky and she said it was the best manicure she has ever had. The three course dinner with filet mignon was a huge hit.

There are a few issues though. For those that did not share my passion for racing and the casino there is just not much to do in the area. Hillbrook really should have some more on site activities even if they are just bingo or something. Also, you really feel that you are being nickeled and dimed and have trepidation as to what the final bill will be.

Everyone was very pleasant and we enjoyed our stay greatly

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us following your stay at Hillbrook. I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your room at our Farmhouse companion property. Our Farmhouse suites were recently renovated with brand new furniture, and I agree the beds provide a wonderful night’s sleep! It’s also great to know that your spa service and dinner experience were enjoyable as well.

Since our inn primarily serves as a romantic getaway or weekend excursion, we offer a variety of relaxing and quiet activities for our guests. In addition to on-site spa services, we have hammocks and chairs available in our beautiful backyard, along with a fire pit, horseshoes, and a life-size chess set. We also frequently have a piano music playing during cocktail hour in the tavern each weekend. Wine tours and cooking classes were offered during the time of your visit as well.

I sincerely apologize for any confusion regarding your bill. We review each guest’s bill upon check-in, and we add gratuity to the final bill so that guests do not have to carry their wallets around the property while they’re here. We are more than willing to adjust gratuity charges if our service did not meet your expectations.

Again, I’m delighted that your stay with us was a memorable one, and we look forward to seeing you at Hillbrook again soon!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at the summer room one night, had a three course meal for two, breakfast and one hour massage, total cost 654.00.
The property, the room and the food were great, the massage was ok.
I book my wife massage at 9.00 and I was asked to have breakfast at 8.00 am , I told them that I do not want to have breakfast that earlier and I was told that should I cancel my massage I will be charged in full ( I did not even suggest to cancel it) I had to set up an alarm for my breakfast as the only offer I had was to move my massage at 9.30 and have breakfast at 8.30 which I told them it is not want I want
We arrive at dinner at 6.10 and the staff made me felt guilty to be 10 minutes late.
For the price I paid it is not worth it, Unfortunately the costumer has to adapt to the inn policy which if you take a look to the website are quite many and there is a distinct disregard for client needs and preference; and I am sorry but for 650 dollar a day it should not happen, I will not come back.

Room Tip: the summer cottage was nice
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our property and the Summer Cottage you stayed in, as well as our sumptuous breakfast. At Hillbrook, we have a management team in place to assist with meeting the needs of every guest. I will discuss your review with the team to ensure your comments are addressed for future guests.

I’m glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our lovely spa during your stay at Hillbrook, and I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your appointment time. In an effort to provide each guest with a gourmet meal and personalized service, we offer set breakfast times every morning. We were also able to offer a continental breakfast in your room if you would have preferred. Our cancellation policy on spa services is in place to protect our technicians who come to the inn specifically for their appointment times.

I also apologize for how you were treated upon arriving late to dinner. Our staff is trained to serve each course in a timely manner so that our guests are able to enjoy the meal as the chef intended. I will talk with the staff about making accommodations for late-arriving guests, and again, I apologize for your experience.

Our goal is to ensure each guest has a memorable stay at Hillbrook. I would be more than happy to accommodate you if you would like to reconsider visiting Hillbrook Inn in the future.

Clifton, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We bought a Living Social deal and upgraded to a cottage so we could bring our dogs. The cottage was perfect. Nice king size bed, jetted tub, fireplace, great view. They even had dog bowls, a towel and waste bags laid out for us. We had a wonderful meal the first night in their dining room. Only $45 for a three course meal- you cannot get that kind of quality for that price in DC. The next day my husband got a neck and shoulder massage at their spa and loved it. Both days we were served a delicious breakfast. The service we received from absolutely everyone was beyond superb. It was sort of like being on a first class cruise but with exquisite grounds thrown in. We actually plan to go back for our anniversary in June. Hillbrook was the perfect getaway for us.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Our goal is to make guests feel welcome and pampered when they visit Hillbrook Inn & Spa, so I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff, our delicious food, and our exquisite grounds. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again later this month!

Richmond, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hillbrook is a nice locally owned inn just outside of Charles Town, West Virginia about 5 miles from the casino and horsetrack and ten miles from Harpers Ferry town/National Historic Park. This area provides the attractions I just mentioned in addition to great hiking, rafting or other water activities and the motor car raceway. If you are looking for a place away from the hotels in town by the casino, this is a great option. The Inn is nicer than an average bed and breafast for a number of reasons. One, it is larger. Two, they have a real restaurant with full service bar. We ate 5 course dinner one night it was very good as well. Three, the rooms are spread out in multiple buildings. In addition there is also a spa at the inn (we didn't try it as it was booked but it looked nice). The grounds are beautiful at about 17 acres, completely fenced in with deer, geese, birds, etc.. easily seen and neighboring properties have horses. A very nice peaceful setting. The staff took a lot of pride in making a good introduction and being attentive to our service needs. If you are in the Washington, DC , Baltimore or Richmond areas and want to get away for a weekend this is a good option. If you are used to staying at hi-end luxury resorts and eating at the top ranked restaurants touted in your city magazine or paper, this might come in below your expectactions. Keep in mind everything is priced accordingly. One negative aspect of our trip was we stayed in the downstairs suite of the main building. This is an almost 100 year old part of the property. There was a room above us. Just about every move those guests made, we heard. In addition, new guests or those coming in with questions and walking around the main house and the dining room section next to our room are easily heard. You may want to request a room in the other buildings to avoid this. They have a great website that provides an accurate overview of the property and their service offerings.

Room Tip: See my review. Ask about rooms in the newer buildings and if they are naturally quieter due to their...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hillbrook and would recommend our beautiful property to other travelers looking for a weekend getaway. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff, our delicious food, and our exquisite grounds, so it’s always a joy to know that our guests had a good experience.

As you mentioned, the room you stayed in reflects the architecture of when the home was constructed 100 years ago. Our cottage suites or the Serenity suite above our Gatehouse Spa may be better options for a guest seeking complete peace and quiet. We apologize for any inconvenience that the noise in adjacent rooms may have caused you.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I took advantage of a Living Social deal and decided to take a weekend vacation at Hillbrook. The grounds were beautiful, the room cozy and the food delicious. The deal came with a spa credit and dinner credit. Both were fabulous.

When we arrived at 3pm we were impressed by how far away from the hustle and bustle of Charles Town we were. We were given a quick tour of the main house (which was beautiful) and escorted to our room. We booked The Overlook which was half of the top floor of the main house. It was just the right size for a couple. The bed and linens were comfy. The walls were a little thin, but thankfully the inhabitants of the next room had only a small convo before bed and the rest of the night was quiet. The room showed attention to detail with the heater, the iPad and the Keurig. Unfortunately, the one cup of coffee I made a stink bug flew in it. But, hey...you're in the woods. Those creatures were there first and it wasn't a big deal.

My spa appointment was at 4. We had tried to book a 'couples massage' but there were only 2 masseuses that day and it wasn't available. I felt bad leaving my boyfriend back at the main house...but he watched the Maryland game on the flat screen downstairs and was more than comfy when I returned. (The Overlook didn't have a TV which we knew ahead of time and was perfect since you can watch boring old TV at home.) We ordered a beer from the small bar in the main house and watched the rest of the basketball game. Miss Debbie at the spa was fabulous and immediately made me feel comfortable.

The dinner was probably the BEST part of the small get away. The food was fantastic. We had braised pork in a bourbon sauce. Yum...with asparagus which was cooked just right. Desert was delicious as well. If you don't have the opportunity to stay, at least have dinner if you can. We saw 7 or 8 deer pass by our windows while we ate. Luckily we were the only ones having the 6:30 dinner...so it was nice and quiet.

Breakfast the next morning was great. We got to meet a few of the other guests and Hillbrook served a southwest themed breakfast with scrambled eggs, homemade salsa, bacon and avocado served up with a warm tortilla. Again....mmmmm.

If going on a couples get away, we had a good time walking historic Charles Town. (only 10 miles away) There were thrift stores, antique shops and some cute little places to have lunch. I am personally not a gambler, but if you're looking for some evening fun, or course the slots were close as well. We hit the Leesburg outlets on the way back to Baltimore. All in all it was a fabulous weekend. If it weren't for kids and jobs, we might not have come home for a few days. :)

Room Tip: The Overlook had a bright light outside the window. It was a gorgeous light, that fit well with the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for visiting us at the Hillbrook Inn! We are happy that we were able to share our property with you and that you were able to enjoy every aspect from dining to spa. Our goal is to create an experience that is lasting. We appreciate the time you took to write about the Inn, the surrounding areas and more. We appreciate your time and hope you have a wonderful day! Looking forward to future visits.

Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!