“Nice Getaway - Close to Harpers Ferry and Charles Town Track/Casino” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hillbrook Inn

Offers & Announcements
Best Rate, Book Direct!
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Richmond, VA
“Nice Getaway - Close to Harpers Ferry and Charles Town Track/Casino”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hillbrook is a nice locally owned inn just outside of Charles Town, West Virginia about 5 miles from the casino and horsetrack and ten miles from Harpers Ferry town/National Historic Park. This area provides the attractions I just mentioned in addition to great hiking, rafting or other water activities and the motor car raceway. If you are looking for a place away from the hotels in town by the casino, this is a great option. The Inn is nicer than an average bed and breafast for a number of reasons. One, it is larger. Two, they have a real restaurant with full service bar. We ate 5 course dinner one night it was very good as well. Three, the rooms are spread out in multiple buildings. In addition there is also a spa at the inn (we didn't try it as it was booked but it looked nice). The grounds are beautiful at about 17 acres, completely fenced in with deer, geese, birds, etc.. easily seen and neighboring properties have horses. A very nice peaceful setting. The staff took a lot of pride in making a good introduction and being attentive to our service needs. If you are in the Washington, DC , Baltimore or Richmond areas and want to get away for a weekend this is a good option. If you are used to staying at hi-end luxury resorts and eating at the top ranked restaurants touted in your city magazine or paper, this might come in below your expectactions. Keep in mind everything is priced accordingly. One negative aspect of our trip was we stayed in the downstairs suite of the main building. This is an almost 100 year old part of the property. There was a room above us. Just about every move those guests made, we heard. In addition, new guests or those coming in with questions and walking around the main house and the dining room section next to our room are easily heard. You may want to request a room in the other buildings to avoid this. They have a great website that provides an accurate overview of the property and their service offerings.

Room Tip: See my review. Ask about rooms in the newer buildings and if they are naturally quieter due to their...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hillbrook and would recommend our beautiful property to other travelers looking for a weekend getaway. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff, our delicious food, and our exquisite grounds, so it’s always a joy to know that our guests had a good experience.

As you mentioned, the room you stayed in reflects the architecture of when the home was constructed 100 years ago. Our cottage suites or the Serenity suite above our Gatehouse Spa may be better options for a guest seeking complete peace and quiet. We apologize for any inconvenience that the noise in adjacent rooms may have caused you.

Again, we appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you at Hillbrook in the near future!

Owner/Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I took advantage of a Living Social deal and decided to take a weekend vacation at Hillbrook. The grounds were beautiful, the room cozy and the food delicious. The deal came with a spa credit and dinner credit. Both were fabulous.

When we arrived at 3pm we were impressed by how far away from the hustle and bustle of Charles Town we were. We were given a quick tour of the main house (which was beautiful) and escorted to our room. We booked The Overlook which was half of the top floor of the main house. It was just the right size for a couple. The bed and linens were comfy. The walls were a little thin, but thankfully the inhabitants of the next room had only a small convo before bed and the rest of the night was quiet. The room showed attention to detail with the heater, the iPad and the Keurig. Unfortunately, the one cup of coffee I made a stink bug flew in it. But, hey...you're in the woods. Those creatures were there first and it wasn't a big deal.

My spa appointment was at 4. We had tried to book a 'couples massage' but there were only 2 masseuses that day and it wasn't available. I felt bad leaving my boyfriend back at the main house...but he watched the Maryland game on the flat screen downstairs and was more than comfy when I returned. (The Overlook didn't have a TV which we knew ahead of time and was perfect since you can watch boring old TV at home.) We ordered a beer from the small bar in the main house and watched the rest of the basketball game. Miss Debbie at the spa was fabulous and immediately made me feel comfortable.

The dinner was probably the BEST part of the small get away. The food was fantastic. We had braised pork in a bourbon sauce. Yum...with asparagus which was cooked just right. Desert was delicious as well. If you don't have the opportunity to stay, at least have dinner if you can. We saw 7 or 8 deer pass by our windows while we ate. Luckily we were the only ones having the 6:30 dinner...so it was nice and quiet.

Breakfast the next morning was great. We got to meet a few of the other guests and Hillbrook served a southwest themed breakfast with scrambled eggs, homemade salsa, bacon and avocado served up with a warm tortilla. Again....mmmmm.

If going on a couples get away, we had a good time walking historic Charles Town. (only 10 miles away) There were thrift stores, antique shops and some cute little places to have lunch. I am personally not a gambler, but if you're looking for some evening fun, or course the slots were close as well. We hit the Leesburg outlets on the way back to Baltimore. All in all it was a fabulous weekend. If it weren't for kids and jobs, we might not have come home for a few days. :)

Room Tip: The Overlook had a bright light outside the window. It was a gorgeous light, that fit well with the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for visiting us at the Hillbrook Inn! We are happy that we were able to share our property with you and that you were able to enjoy every aspect from dining to spa. Our goal is to create an experience that is lasting. We appreciate the time you took to write about the Inn, the surrounding areas and more. We appreciate your time and hope you have a wonderful day! Looking forward to future visits.

Bladensburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

From start to finish, our time at Hillbrook was simply magnificent. My girlfriend and I stayed for two nights and would have extended our stay if it weren’t for pesky responsibilities like work. We decided to visit when a LivingSocial Escape deal was being offered that included a stay for one night and credit toward their spa offerings and fine dining experience; however, we both agree that even at full price the experience would have been more than worth it. We stayed in the Point, which was quaint and cozy, and had a nice view of the grounds. Throughout our stay, we were very impressed by the attentiveness of the staff, from Lori who took care of checking us in to Bobbie who skillfully handled the electricity being interrupted for a few hours (something that affected others in the neighborhood as well). Beyond the fantastic staff, our food was another delight. The gourmet breakfast is truly gourmet and included the best eggs Florentine I have ever had the pleasure to eat, not to mention an amazing cup of hot chocolate made with the shavings of fine French chocolate. We opted to have the three-course dinner one evening and were similarly impressed by a wonderful dinner. Overall, the chef, Marshall, created a series of delicious meals and was very accommodating of everyone’s food preferences even with a fixed menu. Finally, my girlfriend and I elected to have a couples massage and were very happy with both our technicians, Deb and Lisa, who left us so relaxed we were afraid we might fall asleep and miss our dinner. My girlfriend and I agree that we can’t wait to go back and would highly recommend staying at this superb inn!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you kindly for your comments! We just had a full staff meeting this week and thanked all of our employees for all they have been accomplishing. They have been working non-stop to learn the new menus, learning new checking in policies and much more so thank you for noticing. We only hope to grow even more as a team and continue to give our customers this type of service from checking in to checking out and all between. In addition, I am excited to hear that you enjoyed the dining and spa as well and that we were able to give you and your girlfriend a true escape! Thank you for remembering all their names, it really means a lot to them and we truly appreciate your visit to Hillbrook. We are also looking forward to future visits!

Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a wonderful time the one night we stayed at Hillbrook.This was our first B&B and our standards for bed & breakfasts are incredibly high now, thank you Hillbrook! We found this B&B deal on livingsocial. Overall we were so impressed with the quality of the rooms, fixtures, and friendliness of the staff. We only hope to be able to return some day, please send out another LivingSocial deal Hillbrook

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Bob R:

It was an honor to share Hillbrook Inn with you! We are happy to hear that we spoiled you on your visit and that your first Bed and Breakfast experience exceeded your expectations. It was a pleasure to share our spaces with you and look forward to future visits.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Pros: We stayed at a room in the Farmhouse and although there were quite a few stinkbugs in the room (a little unsettling), it was beautiful and spotless. We enjoyed the three-course dinner at the Inn; the ambiance was lovely and the meal was delicious. Breakfast was also quite good, and the inn grounds are very scenic and peaceful.

Cons: Only one, but it’s a big one. I had booked a reservation for a spa service on the inn’s website about a week prior to our arrival. I accidentally booked the service for the day we arrived, when I meant to book it for the following day. We received a call as we were on our way to the inn (two hours away) notifying me that I had missed my appointment. I realized I had made a mistake and apologized for the inconvenience, assuming that we could fix the problem once we arrived.

After we checked in to our room, I brought up the spa issue and the individual who was helping us called someone to check about it. After hanging up the phone she informed me that I would be charged the full amount of my service for missing my appointment and I could reschedule at full price if I wished. When I gently expressed my disappointment and asked if there was anything that could be done, she became very defensive, said “don’t shoot the messenger,” and left (we had overheard her previously mentioning to a colleague that she was “getting ready to clock out,” so I think she just didn’t want to deal with me).

I then called the inn and spoke with a manager. I took full responsibility for mixing up the dates but explained that this was an honest mistake and asked if there was anything they could do so that I was not out the full amount of the spa service. He told me that as a small property, the inn had to pay the service provider her full rate and therefore had to charge me in full for my missed appointment. He said there was nothing more that could be done. When we went to the main inn house for dinner that evening, the same individual approached me before dinner with an envelope in which he had written a note explaining again the inn’s policy and which included a copy of that policy with relevant sections concerning no-show appointments highlighted. After dinner, he told me that he would still apply the $50 spa credit I had received (we booked our stay through a coupon site) even though I missed the appointment.

Throughout this entire process I took full responsibility for missing my appointment. I did not forget, oversleep, or change my mind; this was obviously an honest mistake. I never denied or feigned ignorance of the inn’s policy on no-shows; I merely asked for a little flexibility given the circumstances (I am also seven months pregnant and was very much looking forward to this appointment). Giving me a highlighted copy of the inn’s policies (available on the website) was overkill. Acting as though it was a favor to me to count the spa credit that came with the deal I purchased was offensive.

Ultimately, I felt that I was being treated like a nuisance even though I was unfailingly polite and respectful (I never raised my voice; I never got upset) when asking for a little flexibility on the inn’s policy.

What was I expecting them to do? Here’s one idea – the inn surely does not pay the service provider the full cost of the spa service (which was $90). The manager could have asked me to pay only the inn’s cost, or could have offered me another service at cost. Something like this would have cost the inn little or nothing and could have allowed me to still enjoy the appointment. Instead of this small gesture, the manager dug in on his position and unfortunately lost my business and my recommendation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for visiting the Hillbrook Inn! I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Farmhouse and Three-course dinner. It was nice to hear about your dining experience as well.
Although I am sorry to hear about your “cons”! Words can’t take away the experience, but I thank you for your feedback. First, stink bugs, I know are a nuisance and I am not happy about them as well! We do our best with pest control on a rotation and more. So, we deeply apologize!

As for the spa booking communication, I apologize for staff making you feel that you were not important. The lady that checked you in feels very badly, her intention was not to make you feel as if your situation was not important. In addition, although her shift was ending it was not her job to make you feel rushed or that she “didn’t want to deal with you”. The woman you are speaking about does not have the authority to override management and make a decision on refunding a guest. She did what she was trained to do, contact her manager. She was telling him that her shift was ending; therefore, he needed to make sure that everything was taken care of from this point forward.

We agree that you were more than gracious on apologizing for the mistake. At no point in time did we think that it wasn’t an honest mistake, or that you didn’t want the service. However, you visited Hillbrook on the weekend, which is our busiest time. The spa was completely booked and we turned away appointments. Our manager presented you with the envelope only because you had stated, “that you had thought you had booked it on next day.” He is trained to research a reservation and all contact between Hillbrook and a guest, to help ensure that mistakes made by Hillbrook can be rectified in a timely manner. In addition, the $50 spa credit was applied to reservation brining your cost to $40 for a $90 appointment, and no gratuities are applied to reservation.

We have a 24 hour cancellation policy because all types of life instances occur and some out of our control. We did our best by discounting the reservation and making sure that you received compensation. We are deeply sorry for the experience! We truly did not mean to offend you in any manner and do wish you the best with your pregnancy. It is one of the most beautiful joys in life…
We wish you a lifetime filled with lots of laughs and love!

Respectfully,
West Chester, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our first B&B and our standards for bed & breakfasts are incredibly high now, thank you Hillbrook! We found this B&B deal on livingsocial and decided to use it for the first part of our honeymoon. Upon arrival, the staff upgraded our room because it was very hot and the air conditioner had not been turned on in advance. We were so impressed by their generosity since they bumped us up to a cabin. We were not expecting this high of an upgrade, we're so underserving of that gift. When we entered the cottage we were met with champagne and chocolates locally made (included in the package), and LOVED how soft the mattress was! We were blown away by the amenities - a large jacuzzi tub and shower, a flat screen tv, fireplace, ipad, music that was playing. We slept so well and I basically spent the next day in bed since I was so tired from planning our wedding, and because the room was so comfortable. We woke up to a lovely and filling two-course meal that was incredibly delicious with potatoes, asparagus, and a fritatta of some sort and a muffin. We found the building and grounds were immaculate and well decorated. I love the movie The Sound of Music; the livingsocial description was accurate - "The Hills were alive with the sound of music!" We saw deer running across the property; their land is beautifully kept and spacious! I loved the massage that was partly included in the package (we were given a little bit of spending money or a discount on any of their services in the spa room, I can't remember which). I left feeling so relaxed having arrived very late the night before right after our wedding. Dinner was also tasty and from what I remember, the soup and steak salad were so good that I asked for seconds, and she was happily willing to grant me more! The next morning, we again were greeted with a gourmet breakfast that was delivered to our door (the prior morning my husband went out and got it for us since we woke up so late) so we didn't need to walk out. I believe it was Carissa, which was so sweet of her to bring us orange juice, creamcheese and strawberry filled french toast, bacon, and a blueberry parfait. We then spent the afternoon exploring the town a little bit, and then returned to the cabin to pack our bags after a two night stay.
Overall we were so impressed with the quality of the rooms, fixtures, and friendliness of the staff. We only hope to be able to return some day, please send out another LivingSocial deal Hillbrook!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We are so happy that your first experience was incredible! It was a pleasure to share Hillbrook with you on the first part of your honeymoon. I am so happy to hear that the staff was attentive to your needs and you were able to enjoy the upgrade to a suite.
In addition, we appreciate that you enjoyed dinner at the Hillbrook. It is a pleasure to share the Inn with you and a dining experience!
I am glad we could help with the sound of music dream! I will also tell staff about the grounds. Dan our groundskeeper is fantastic and is loved here at
The strawberry French toast is one of my favorites too! Thank you for your kind words about us delivering it to the room, we are so happy that we could do that for you!
We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here Sat night on Feb. 24th for our 30th wedding anniversary. We took a cooking class from Chef Marshall and had so much fun! We learned a lot and got to eat delicious pasta. Dinner was amazing and breakfast was delicious!! We stayed in the Lookout and it was a charming room. I can't say enough positive comments about the staff. Their customer service exceeded out expectations. Had a wonderful facial in the new Spa. We visited two wineries which was interesting as well. We will definitely come back again and again.

Room Tip: Our kids gave us the package for a gift but our room was very nice. Bed very comfortable. May get...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We all really enjoyed having you at the Hillbrook Inn! We are glad that it was the escape that you both deserved. We appreciate your kind comments about the spa, dining and cooking class. Chef Marshall enjoyed his time with you as well and we all look forward to seeing you in the future.

Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!