“Is there a better B&B?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
West Chester, PA
“Is there a better B&B?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our first B&B and our standards for bed & breakfasts are incredibly high now, thank you Hillbrook! We found this B&B deal on livingsocial and decided to use it for the first part of our honeymoon. Upon arrival, the staff upgraded our room because it was very hot and the air conditioner had not been turned on in advance. We were so impressed by their generosity since they bumped us up to a cabin. We were not expecting this high of an upgrade, we're so underserving of that gift. When we entered the cottage we were met with champagne and chocolates locally made (included in the package), and LOVED how soft the mattress was! We were blown away by the amenities - a large jacuzzi tub and shower, a flat screen tv, fireplace, ipad, music that was playing. We slept so well and I basically spent the next day in bed since I was so tired from planning our wedding, and because the room was so comfortable. We woke up to a lovely and filling two-course meal that was incredibly delicious with potatoes, asparagus, and a fritatta of some sort and a muffin. We found the building and grounds were immaculate and well decorated. I love the movie The Sound of Music; the livingsocial description was accurate - "The Hills were alive with the sound of music!" We saw deer running across the property; their land is beautifully kept and spacious! I loved the massage that was partly included in the package (we were given a little bit of spending money or a discount on any of their services in the spa room, I can't remember which). I left feeling so relaxed having arrived very late the night before right after our wedding. Dinner was also tasty and from what I remember, the soup and steak salad were so good that I asked for seconds, and she was happily willing to grant me more! The next morning, we again were greeted with a gourmet breakfast that was delivered to our door (the prior morning my husband went out and got it for us since we woke up so late) so we didn't need to walk out. I believe it was Carissa, which was so sweet of her to bring us orange juice, creamcheese and strawberry filled french toast, bacon, and a blueberry parfait. We then spent the afternoon exploring the town a little bit, and then returned to the cabin to pack our bags after a two night stay.
Overall we were so impressed with the quality of the rooms, fixtures, and friendliness of the staff. We only hope to be able to return some day, please send out another LivingSocial deal Hillbrook!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We are so happy that your first experience was incredible! It was a pleasure to share Hillbrook with you on the first part of your honeymoon. I am so happy to hear that the staff was attentive to your needs and you were able to enjoy the upgrade to a suite.
In addition, we appreciate that you enjoyed dinner at the Hillbrook. It is a pleasure to share the Inn with you and a dining experience!
I am glad we could help with the sound of music dream! I will also tell staff about the grounds. Dan our groundskeeper is fantastic and is loved here at
The strawberry French toast is one of my favorites too! Thank you for your kind words about us delivering it to the room, we are so happy that we could do that for you!
We look forward to seeing you in the future.

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here Sat night on Feb. 24th for our 30th wedding anniversary. We took a cooking class from Chef Marshall and had so much fun! We learned a lot and got to eat delicious pasta. Dinner was amazing and breakfast was delicious!! We stayed in the Lookout and it was a charming room. I can't say enough positive comments about the staff. Their customer service exceeded out expectations. Had a wonderful facial in the new Spa. We visited two wineries which was interesting as well. We will definitely come back again and again.

Room Tip: Our kids gave us the package for a gift but our room was very nice. Bed very comfortable. May get...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We all really enjoyed having you at the Hillbrook Inn! We are glad that it was the escape that you both deserved. We appreciate your kind comments about the spa, dining and cooking class. Chef Marshall enjoyed his time with you as well and we all look forward to seeing you in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed here for just one night, thanks to a Living Social deal. The three course dinner was wonderful, and the chocolate pecan ganache creation served for dessert basically made me forget whatever we had had for dinner! We stayed in the Locke Nest, a cozy room with plenty of space to move around in: quiet, comfortable, and intimate.

The Inn itself offers a unique setting, with different levels of the house built at different times and an interesting history. Very up-to-date, though, with an iPad and Keurig in the room.

Be aware that your room may not have a television. For us, this was perfect, as we don't go on a short get-away to watch TV.

Breakfast was gourmet quality. I've never had a steamed egg before and it was delicious!

I'd like to return when the trees and flowers are in bloom, since the grounds looked very inviting.

While I felt the actual rates were a bit high, I have to say that it was lovely and worth it.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for visiting us at the Hillbrook Inn!

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the delicious Chocolate Pecan Ganache, it is one of our guests favorites. In addition, it was nice to see you enjoyed the “up to date” aspects of Hillbrook. We try to give our guests the convenience of modern amenities with the charm of the estate. It means the world to us when a guest notices the extra touches.

I also appreciated your comment about the TV’s. Too often we don’t take advantage of spending time with our significant other, and this really allows for you to be in touch with each other. To talk and enjoy the company of your travel companion, creating an experience and memory. My deepest thanks!

We welcome you to come and visit any time! We would love to show you the property when everything is in bloom.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for two nights over Valentine's Day Weekend 2013. We stayed in the Winter Cottage which I truly believe has one of the best views on the property and definitely the best view of the four cottage suites. We are in our mid-thirties and absolutely love going to B&Bs. I tend to select the next B&B we visit by going through the Select Registry Guidebook that we received back in 2007 at our first B&B visit. While this is a Select Registry property that is not the way we found this B&B. My husband purchased a living social special in April 2012 for a one night stay in the Inn. We decided to upgrade the room to one of the cottage suites and add on an extra night.

The Room (5 stars): Absolutely beautiful! The Winter Cottage has a king size bed; spa tub and shower; gas fireplace; TV; and the best views in my opinion. When we entered the room the fireplace was on; the TV was playing beautiful music (we never switched the TV channel and let the music play in the background both days while in the room); and a bottle of champagne and cookies awaited us (part of the special). The bathroom was large and the spa tub with Jacuzzi was wonderful. I took long baths both nights and the hot water never ran out (something you always worry about with large oversized tubs). We tend to like our room warm so we adjusted the thermometer up to high 70s and were warm and toasty the entire weekend. One thing I will definitely give the inn 5 stars for is the mattress in the Winter Cottage! Oh my goodness! I have never slept better! I have asked two people at the Inn for the make and model of the mattress and one of them promised to get me the information as this was not the first time they had received this request. I'm eagerly awaiting their response :-).

The Food (4 stars): Both mornings they served us a two course meal for breakfast. The first morning we had a lovely fruit mixture (mango; kiwi; and something else) and sausage and pancakes (2). The second morning we had oatmeal with spiced apples and maybe pears(?) and sausage; broccoli and cheese frittata (egg); and a muffin. Both meals were wonderfully prepared and very tasty, however the first meal was a bit light. I feel bad for writing this as our waiter came around and asked everyone how they felt about the portion size the first day and we said fine because it would have been rude to say otherwise. However I definitely felt that had we asked for more or something else they would have happily obliged. A number of B&Bs we have visited serve three course breakfasts' so that is also affecting my rating.

We had the 5-course dinner on our second night which was fantastic - the main course (filet mignon) and desert deserve five stars. My husband could have done without the third course (bowtie pasta with parmesan cheese - which he felt was kind of pointless and a filler) - but he is a guy and so I attribute it to that. I mentioned the whole thing about cleansing one's palette but he was not buying that :-).

The location (3.75-4 stars): Surprisingly who would have thought an Inn in West Virginia would garner almost four stars but I must say, after having gone to Inns in Wilkes Barre, PA; the Eastern Shore (Easton and Chestertown); Newport, RI; Nantucket, MA; and White Post, VA - Charlestown wasn't so bad (not much can compete with Newport and Nantucket). The first day/night we went to the casino and had dinner at the 9-Dragon (Chinese restaurant in the casino which was great!). I then proceeded to lose $50 on the roulette table (bah!). The second day we visited Harpers Ferry which was so enlightening. I had no idea the significance of the area in the civil war and it was great getting a refresher on the civil war time period. The Inn itself sits on many beautiful acres - however it was a bit cold to go on long romantic walks. My husband did bring his small toy helicopter (boys and their toys) and so we went on the grounds and he had a chance to test it out in the wide open spaces of the Inn (and proceeded to get it stuck in a tree on one occasion).

The Inn has a wonderful spa. I had a 1 hour massage there which was simply divine. I didn't know what to expect as far as the spa goes, but it was a fully functioning; beautifully decorated spa housed in its own building/cottage-like structure. Very impressive.

Hospitality (3.75 stars): All of the staff we met were very nice. The chef was very pleasant and came by each guest's table after the dinner. I think however because we stayed in the cottage perhaps we missed out on our typical experience at great B&Bs where we get to meet the Inn Keeper and really get a warm welcome and feeling/interaction throughout our stay. Usually by the end of a visit we know the inn keepers by name and we've learned a little about them and vice-versa. Typical discussions centering on how one spent the previous day and suggestions for places to visit didn't occur. They were fully booked this weekend and so perhaps the sheer number of people didn't allow for this. We also usually get to know a few of the fellow guests at our favorite inns (usually through conversations at adjacent tables over breakfast and with the inn keeper staying to chat long after breakfast is over). One tiny thing I remember is the second day the general manager came by each table at breakfast to say hello. He stopped at our table and greeted us, and I started to say what a wonderful time we were having and he was already off to the next table saying hello to the next guest, leaving me mid-sentence (clearly he didn't hear me).

Overall (4 stars): This place is not cheap by any means. We've been to a few others in this price class and well all I will say is that it definitely holds its own in comparison to others in this price-point. We will definitely be back at some time in the future. It didn't make the list of our favorite inns (price and hospitality does factor in on that one) - but it did make the list of our top inns. They've done very well with their inn and it is well worth the visit.

Room Tip: If you can afford to splurge on the Winter Cottage I would definitely recommend it. The views are a...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write a review about Hillbrook Inn! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the winter cottage! It is a beautiful room; I personally love the hand painted walls. I am happy to hear that you got to visit the area that surrounds us! Harpers Ferry is a quaint little town that is dripping with history. We are blessed to live so close to something that has such significance in History.

It was nice that you were able to join us for dinner on Sunday evening. You are correct I was not present at the Inn in the evening on Sunday for dinner…I apologize. I was at home with our children and celebrated a late Valentine’s Day with them. My daughter surprised me with flowers and a card, it was very cute. It is a joy to spend the time with all the guests and I am sorry that we didn’t get time together as well. I hope that in the future we can sit down and talk and get to know one another as well. That is actually my favorite part of being an Innkeeper.

Our guest service manager Mark was assisting this weekend. I believe he is who visited your table. I am sorry that he didn't hear you...he should have noticed and I will bring it to his attention. I know sometimes things are rushed and for me...this time in the morning should be to enjoy one another and as you stated learn something about the guest. So, thank you for helping us grow!

This year we will be adding cocktail hours in the evening time, such as we did every day over Valentine’s Day Weekend. It is a fantastic time to talk to guests and meet new people. We are also working on some music events for the summer…so maybe you can visit us when the weather is a little warmer and we can enjoy the property. We would love to sit and relax with you…let us know when you are coming next. We appreciate your business and all your feedback!

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Hillbrook for just one night back in October of 2012. We had the Winter Cottage and it was just lovely - perfect for a fall day. We stayed Thursday to Friday, so there was hardly anyone around the afternoon we arrived, which was nice. The main house was quite charming, and the cottage was just delightful. The gas fireplace was great for the damp day, and the chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine were wonderful! The spa tub was also a nice treat.

We dined in the main restaurant and were lucky to have it all to ourselves! We sat right in front of the fireplace and had a very delicious, freshly prepared meal. It was a bit pricey, but the experience was just lovely and something we will certainly remember. The chef was there in the kitchen preparing the meal, so I found the cost to be justified.

The breakfast was also delicious and cooked to order. It was lovely to sit and look out onto the grounds, watching the wedding planning begin for all the couples getting married that weekend.

Before leaving, we stopped off at the salon/spa and had a couple's massage, which was wonderful and well worth the extra cost. I would definitely recommend Hillbrook to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway from everyday life.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and your visit to Hillbrook! It was nice to hear that you were able to enjoy every aspect Hillbrook has to offer. It is an honor to share our inn with you and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The service here is tremendous. Lovely people from top to bottom.

Delicious three course dinner.

Excellent massage by Lisa.

If tall, I wouldn't recommend staying in The Lookout - but if short in stature like hubby and me, the room is quaint. Nice touches - Keurig coffee maker and iPad in the room.

Will definitely come back in the Spring for another overnight - will bring bikes and hit the C&O trail, visit a winery, enjoy a delicious dinner and just relax and unwind!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Becky,
Thank you for your kind comment about tremendous service and delicious dinner! It truly means the world to me and our staff. I will tell Lisa you enjoyed the massage…she is pretty wonderful at her job, but more importantly as a person. We look forward to visiting with you in the spring. You will enjoy that bike ride (one of our favorites), we would love to point you into a direction of our favorite wineries or maybe we will even have a wine tasting while you visit. You can check our web-site for upcoming events this year. Again, it was wonderful to meet you and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This place had good and bad - we stayed in the Farmhouse, which had a lot of great modern amenities (two tvs, fireplace, nice shower, nice kitchen with limited use allowed), which we certainly enjoyed, but it is a couple miles from the inn. It's also across from a fragrant cow pasture - I didn't mind, but it probably should be mentioned.

The big deficit was in the details though. Other b&bs I've been to, the owner or innkeeper knows your name before you arrive and go out of their way to make the experience special throughout (at one especially nice b&b of similar size I've even seen the owner cleaning the rooms and doing home repair) -- not so here. You just get the feeling that it's a large operation with paid employees who don't know you from Adam, more like a hotel than a b&b, with less owner involvement.

The biggest kicker though, and the reason I knocked my score down to a solid 3, was that the breakfast room is next to the service entrance. On a particularly cold and rainy morning, the door right behind us was left open for several minutes while supplies were delivered and brought downstairs, flooding the dining room with frigid air (probably bringing the dining room temp down to 55 for the remainder of the meal). Then, to make matters worse, one of the staff sat down behind us with the delivery guy and started going over the order of windex, water, etc. right behind us -- it's a "bed and breakfast" -- where's the ambiance for one half of that? Other than that, random staff walked back and forth through the dining room throughout breakfast, making us almost feel we were in people's way. And the breakfast is good, if not overly artful. So, like I said, not a bad place, just luxury prices without luxury feel imo.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
All in the details is very important to us as well! I appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration during our staff trainings the next couple of weeks. Moving into the New Year, we are very excited about all the possibilities it has to offer. We are retraining staff, hired new members of the team and also have some great new programs in place to make a guest experience more memorable.

I am happy that you had an opportunity to stay at the Farmhouse because it has so many wonderful amenities to offer. Yes, it is 2 miles from the Inn and a lot of our guests like the respite escape from the hectic life we all lead. I apologize for the cow pasture at the Hillbrook Farmhouse, in the winter months this is not a common problem that we hear about. Although, this year has be a little warmer than normal and I can’t complain about that.

I am sorry that we did not get a chance to really meet in a personal manner. I know you were here during the week and I was on the property and we passed one another as we walk into the inn for breakfast. We have a total of 17 acres on the Hillbrook Main Estate, 3 acres at Farmhouse and another Estate behind Farmhouse that opens on February 1, 2013. Therefore, I was checking on the properties, decorating the new house, overseeing painting in a guest suite, checking on a room that is under construction and getting my kids on the bus. Days are always busy and I do attempt to try and meet all our guests. I am personally disappointed because the staff is trained to greet guests and to make their stay personable. So, my sadness comes from your comment that it felt like a hotel. They should get to know every guest that walks through the door. In addition, I have several family members that work for us including my sister-in-law, my brother-in-law, my aunt and all of my staff is treated like family. We want guests to feel a part of that because each of these people are special and really love Hillbrook for all it is and can be in the future.

Lastly, I am very upset about the morning experience. That was very upsetting to me as well. I know exactly when you were here because I was in the office on the phone with our purveyor because it is unacceptable for them to make deliveries at that time. That is not an issue that you as a guest should have had to experience and I fully agree with your comment! I have already told the company that we will not accept a delivery at that time in the future, that the truck will be turned away as to not disturb the guests.

I appreciate the time you took to write about everything and we are using it as a learning experience to be better and to pay attention to the details!

Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!