“Quality stay at a lovely inn” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Holiday Special
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Pennsylvania
“Quality stay at a lovely inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Hillbrook for just one night back in October of 2012. We had the Winter Cottage and it was just lovely - perfect for a fall day. We stayed Thursday to Friday, so there was hardly anyone around the afternoon we arrived, which was nice. The main house was quite charming, and the cottage was just delightful. The gas fireplace was great for the damp day, and the chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine were wonderful! The spa tub was also a nice treat.

We dined in the main restaurant and were lucky to have it all to ourselves! We sat right in front of the fireplace and had a very delicious, freshly prepared meal. It was a bit pricey, but the experience was just lovely and something we will certainly remember. The chef was there in the kitchen preparing the meal, so I found the cost to be justified.

The breakfast was also delicious and cooked to order. It was lovely to sit and look out onto the grounds, watching the wedding planning begin for all the couples getting married that weekend.

Before leaving, we stopped off at the salon/spa and had a couple's massage, which was wonderful and well worth the extra cost. I would definitely recommend Hillbrook to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway from everyday life.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and your visit to Hillbrook! It was nice to hear that you were able to enjoy every aspect Hillbrook has to offer. It is an honor to share our inn with you and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Carissa Zanella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The service here is tremendous. Lovely people from top to bottom.

Delicious three course dinner.

Excellent massage by Lisa.

If tall, I wouldn't recommend staying in The Lookout - but if short in stature like hubby and me, the room is quaint. Nice touches - Keurig coffee maker and iPad in the room.

Will definitely come back in the Spring for another overnight - will bring bikes and hit the C&O trail, visit a winery, enjoy a delicious dinner and just relax and unwind!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Becky,
Thank you for your kind comment about tremendous service and delicious dinner! It truly means the world to me and our staff. I will tell Lisa you enjoyed the massage…she is pretty wonderful at her job, but more importantly as a person. We look forward to visiting with you in the spring. You will enjoy that bike ride (one of our favorites), we would love to point you into a direction of our favorite wineries or maybe we will even have a wine tasting while you visit. You can check our web-site for upcoming events this year. Again, it was wonderful to meet you and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This place had good and bad - we stayed in the Farmhouse, which had a lot of great modern amenities (two tvs, fireplace, nice shower, nice kitchen with limited use allowed), which we certainly enjoyed, but it is a couple miles from the inn. It's also across from a fragrant cow pasture - I didn't mind, but it probably should be mentioned.

The big deficit was in the details though. Other b&bs I've been to, the owner or innkeeper knows your name before you arrive and go out of their way to make the experience special throughout (at one especially nice b&b of similar size I've even seen the owner cleaning the rooms and doing home repair) -- not so here. You just get the feeling that it's a large operation with paid employees who don't know you from Adam, more like a hotel than a b&b, with less owner involvement.

The biggest kicker though, and the reason I knocked my score down to a solid 3, was that the breakfast room is next to the service entrance. On a particularly cold and rainy morning, the door right behind us was left open for several minutes while supplies were delivered and brought downstairs, flooding the dining room with frigid air (probably bringing the dining room temp down to 55 for the remainder of the meal). Then, to make matters worse, one of the staff sat down behind us with the delivery guy and started going over the order of windex, water, etc. right behind us -- it's a "bed and breakfast" -- where's the ambiance for one half of that? Other than that, random staff walked back and forth through the dining room throughout breakfast, making us almost feel we were in people's way. And the breakfast is good, if not overly artful. So, like I said, not a bad place, just luxury prices without luxury feel imo.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
All in the details is very important to us as well! I appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration during our staff trainings the next couple of weeks. Moving into the New Year, we are very excited about all the possibilities it has to offer. We are retraining staff, hired new members of the team and also have some great new programs in place to make a guest experience more memorable.

I am happy that you had an opportunity to stay at the Farmhouse because it has so many wonderful amenities to offer. Yes, it is 2 miles from the Inn and a lot of our guests like the respite escape from the hectic life we all lead. I apologize for the cow pasture at the Hillbrook Farmhouse, in the winter months this is not a common problem that we hear about. Although, this year has be a little warmer than normal and I can’t complain about that.

I am sorry that we did not get a chance to really meet in a personal manner. I know you were here during the week and I was on the property and we passed one another as we walk into the inn for breakfast. We have a total of 17 acres on the Hillbrook Main Estate, 3 acres at Farmhouse and another Estate behind Farmhouse that opens on February 1, 2013. Therefore, I was checking on the properties, decorating the new house, overseeing painting in a guest suite, checking on a room that is under construction and getting my kids on the bus. Days are always busy and I do attempt to try and meet all our guests. I am personally disappointed because the staff is trained to greet guests and to make their stay personable. So, my sadness comes from your comment that it felt like a hotel. They should get to know every guest that walks through the door. In addition, I have several family members that work for us including my sister-in-law, my brother-in-law, my aunt and all of my staff is treated like family. We want guests to feel a part of that because each of these people are special and really love Hillbrook for all it is and can be in the future.

Lastly, I am very upset about the morning experience. That was very upsetting to me as well. I know exactly when you were here because I was in the office on the phone with our purveyor because it is unacceptable for them to make deliveries at that time. That is not an issue that you as a guest should have had to experience and I fully agree with your comment! I have already told the company that we will not accept a delivery at that time in the future, that the truck will be turned away as to not disturb the guests.

I appreciate the time you took to write about everything and we are using it as a learning experience to be better and to pay attention to the details!

Martinsburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent a wonderful night at Hillbrook. This place is expensive, but it is worth every penny. We stayed in one of the cottage rooms; it was wonderful: nicely decorated, with a comfy king-sized bed and jacuzzi tub. Dinner and the tavern were great as well.
I think the highlight of Hillbrook is the atmosphere; although it is conveniently close to Charles Town (wonderful to explore itself), it seems to be in the middle of the English countryside. Lots of wildlife and quiet and serene.
The staff goes out of their way to assure a good time; wonderful and attentive.
My only regret is we did not get to stay long enough!

Room Tip: I think they are all wonderful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for telling people we are worth the visit! Our intent is to create an atmosphere where guests feel comfortable, can enjoy the estate and each other in a quiet escape. We are happy to hear that you were able to see our wildlife. Personal favorite is the deer in the backyard. They are beautiful creatures when they are grazing. I wish you could have stayed longer as well…but there are always future visits to look forward to.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I spent New Years Eve here. The location was quiet and beautiful. The staff kind and attentive. The room "The Look Out" was cozy and wonderfully fun! The rooms all come with an iPad that you can use for concierge service, watching Netflix, or looking up a map before you hit Charles Town. I would definitely recommend this place, especially to those who like a good gourmet breakfast in the morning! :)

Room Tip: I had no problem with a claw foot tub, but if you need an actual shower, look for a room with one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Happy New Year to you both! We are happy you were here to ring in the New Year with us in 2013. Our location is quiet and beautiful and we are blessed to share it with others. Not many people can say they work at a “park like setting”. I enjoy sharing all aspects of Hillbrook with our guests and I am glad to see that you enjoyed the concierge services, antiques mixed with a little innovation with iPads and other amenities. We appreciate that you want to share our facility with your friends and family. We also agree that a great breakfast in the morning is fantastic…thank you for sharing it with us! Best wishes in this coming year…may it offer you many laughs, lots of love and kindness.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent New Year's Eve and New Year's day at this lovely B&B. With 1 Jan being our anniversary too, we were ready for a special stay here. We had a very nice couple's massage and also joined the New Year's Eve gala that was hosted at the Hillbrooke Inn. Overall,however, we were left unimpressed. We encountered a polite staff but we did not encounter any special or personal touches as so many have mentioned in their reviews. All were good, none were exceptional. The owners try to meet the very high standards they set and their effort is obvious but in the end, I believe they fall short in the value consideration. We spent over $800 for one night that included lodging (The Snuggery), a couple's massage, a 5 course New Year's Eve dinner and an included breakfast in the morning.
To be clear, overall we enjoyed our stay but will not be returning nor will we recommend the place to our friends because we simply do not feel tht what we received is worth the price paid.

• Stayed January 2013
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Happy New Year! We are honored that you shared the Hillbrook with us for the holiday. I am sorry to hear that you did not feel there were personal touches for you to enjoy. I will take your comments into consideration for the future. I hope that you did enjoy the individual note on the dining table that evening, cookies in the room and champagne. I will look into adding more value to the guests stay for the future as you have stated. Although, I do appreciate that you stated that you noticed the obvious efforts and enjoyed the polite staff. Next year we are planning a special event for New Year’s Eve. We will have champagne, heavy hors d’ oeuvres, musicians at either end of the house, dancing and more. We are excited to add to the already exciting night because every New Year brings new adventures. It allows us to grow as individuals and share another year with the people that we care so deeply about. I am truly blessed and I am happy that you were here to celebrate a new year with us!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We recently returned from a Christmas stay at Hillbrook. It was magical. The highlight was a private dinner with our own chef and waiter. The food is exquisite - fresh, local and prepared perfectly to your liking. The spa is world class. The staff is most attentive and are dedicated to making your stay perfect in every way.

Room Tip: The Bamford Suite is our favorite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing Hillbrook with us at Christmas! We feel it is pretty magical here too and are happy to hear that we could accommodate a private dinner for you both to enjoy! I will advise the staff about your visit and how it made you feel. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to future visits.

Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!