“Nice escape” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Ashburn, Virginia
“Nice escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We enjoyed an escape evening to Hillbrook. The staff is very nice and attentive. We stayed in the Snuggery, which is exactly as you may suspect in size. However, it was nice and cozy and we enjoyed the Roman Bathtub much more than we would have guessed prior. Our favorite time was playing checkers in the great room prior to dinner, then enjoying some fireplace time after dinner. The dinner itself was very good but the room is a bit tight and does not allow for much ambiance. It may have been due to a full restaurant at the seating that evening. Breakfast the next morning was quite tasty. The grounds are enjoyable to walk around and they are well kept.

We have stayed in some better B&Bs a short drive to the south, but we have no complaints and it was nice to try a new place. I would definitely stay in a suite next time or one of the cottages. They are pricey but probably worth it.

Room Tip: Go for a Suite or cottage, the small rooms are cozy but very tight.
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed the Hillbrook and that our staff was attentive to your needs. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the snuggery, the checkers, and the fireplaces! I appreciate your comments about the dining room. We are currently looking into options in for the dining room area in the next year in helping to enhance the ambiance during dinner. It was an honor to have you at our inn and hope to visit with you in the future…maybe in a cottage or one of our new properties!

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Westminster, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Staying at Hillbrook in for two nights was one of the best decisions my husband and I have ever made! The staff was friendly and helpful, the concierge services and spa were amazing, and the room was perfect. We stayed in the Spring cottage where it included a double whirlpool bath, ipad 2, homemade cookies upon arrival, wine bottle and glasses (for a fee), Keurig coffee maker, and other great amenities. Also you can bring your pets for an additional fee. The Appalachian Trail, Harper's Ferry, and wineries are nearby, so there is enough to keep you busy for day trips. We will definitely be coming back every year for a short getaway from reality. I only wish we had discovered this B&B sooner.

Room Tip: The cottages have the most amenities and are in a separate location than the rooms in the main house...
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
“One of the best decisions” is a very kind compliment and deeply appreciated! I will be sharing that with all of our staff. We are happy that we helped you to escape reality and enjoy one another and the area. We look forward to your future visits.
St. Michaels, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We arrived on Election Day to spend two nights celebrating my husband's birthday. We had prebooked dinner for the second evening, but after learning that dining options in Charles Town were limited for Mon night, we took the hostess' suggestion that we dine in-house the first night also. As we were the only guests, the chef, Marshall Hubbard, made a special trip to prepare our meal, and the owner, Carissa served us herself. We enjoyed a delicious chicken/pasta soup and sausage stuffed pork with green beans and mashed potatoes. We ended our meal with a tasty pumpkin pie.
We stayed in the Summer Cottage along with our dog and were all most comfortable, enjoying
the cookies/brownies left for us by the warmth of the gas fireplace. In addition to the jacuzzi tub, we had also had his/hers showers. We appreciated the microwave, mini frig & Keurig
coffeemaker.
Our dog appreciated the treats, bowls and paw towel as well as the gorgeous grounds.
We enjoyed both of our breakfasts on the sunny glass porch. One morning we had fruit, blueberry pancakes and bacon and the next an egg frittata with sausage and yoghurt and
fruit/granola.
Our second dinner started with a tomato caprese salad, followed by filet mignon with asparagus and ended with an apple pie a la mode. We enjoyed meeting Chef Marshall Hubbard & dinner and breakfast server, Lori.
We thoroughly enjoyed our relaxing get away, the iPad in the room and the two wineries we visited in the area. Breaux was our favorite!
We certainly felt well cared for and would definitely like to return with friends for cooking lessons.

Room Tip: The cozy cottages offer a lot of privacy for you (and your dog...).
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
We are happy to hear that you vote for Hillbrook! We enjoyed celebrating your husband’s birthday with you both! In addition, I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your culinary requests and make it very personal for you both to enjoy. We are also happy to hear that the iPad in the room was beneficial to finding local wineries to visit during your stay. We thank you for your kind review and look forward to a future visit with you both and your furry friend!
McLean, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed in the overlook room and could hear the guests next door through the wall. Besides that annoyance, the place was really nice. I has great landscaping with even better customer service. My wife left behind a shirt and they mailed it to us. She also left her jacket and iphone at breakfast and they brought it to our room before we realized it was missing.

Room Tip: choose another besides "overlook" and its adjacent neighbor
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for your review! I am sorry to hear that the guests next door may have disturbed you! However, I glad to hear that my staff was attentive to your needs and that you enjoyed your visit.
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was looking for a place to take my wife so we could have some alone time leaving the kids at home. I had looked at places in the city or more urban, near shopping etc, but decided that this place would be much better for focusing on each other and relaxing away from it all. I am so glad we went here. I knew I hit it out of the park when, as we were unpacking into our room, I saw my wife's shoulders relax and a pleased smile creep across her face that I don't think I have seen in a long time. ...and that was before I sent her for 3 hours at the spa.

I had spent hours researching other places, cabins, b&b's, hotels, and this just seemed to fit everything I wanted. It offered cottages for a more private stay (you can also stay in the main house), but still had all the amenities of a bed and breakfast, fine dining, excellent chef, and the staff was way more attentive then anywhere I have encountered before. If you wanted something, they worked hard to get it for you and arrange everything for you. My wife thought her pillow was too hard and they brought a different one immediately. Just great, and real people.

The setting is simply magnificent, old world English Tudor style, ponds, woods, streams. My wife compared our cottage to the 15th c. Monastery room we stayed in when we went on our honeymoon in Provence ...except it had a full bathroom and jacuzzi tub and gas fireplace you would never find in Europe, and a nice addition.

One of the best things was the cooking class with the sous chef Marshall Hubbard. Since my wife was in the spa all day, I figured this would be a way of entertaining myself, and I had a blast. The cooking class was in a very nicely appointed kitchen in an off site farm house. Kitchen reminded me somewhat of ours which we just spent a bunch remodeling. Marshall was fun to learn with, they taught me pastry class designed for me at my request, but he gladly accommodated anything I showed curiosity in, including how to make caramel and knife skills... And a couple jack and cokes. He seemed to be having as much fun teaching as I did messing around in the kitchen, which made it much more fun.. My wife and I will go back for some classes together soon.

HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
I am happy to hear you had a “splendid and relaxing weekend”. Having children myself I understand what it is like to need an escape and focus on one another. Too often I think we forget how important that time really is for each of us! I was so excited to read,“I knew I hit it out of the park when, as we were unpacking into our room, I saw my wife's shoulders relax and a pleased smile creep across her face”. That line really hit me because then I knew we did our job right!

I am also glad that you and your wife were able to enjoy different aspects of the inn from the spa to the cooking class. Our therapists and Chefs are amazing people and truly try to create an “experience” for the guest. I am glad to hear that it was a highlight of your trip and look forward to future visits.
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I had booked a stay at the Inn several weeks prior to Hurricane Sandy's forecast. After calling the Inn to make sure they were still open we braved the winds and rain the drive the several hours to the Inn. We were basically the only ones there ( the only people crazy enough to drive during the storm of a century) and we were well rewarded with the amazing staff and hospitality of the Inn. I can think of a better way to ride out a hurricane then by a gas fireplace in the beautiful Summer Cottage only a very short walk to gourmet breakfasts and diners prepared just for us.

The Inn is beautiful, the food amazing and the staff extremely gracious. The website is nice but the Inn is so much nicer then what you expect from the website. That in itself is a rare event.

We will be back in better weather to explore the grounds and surrounding community.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for braving the storm to visit with us! We truly enjoyed your visit and were glad to hear you were warm and safe in the Summer Cottage. It is always nice to escape, relax and get pampered! Thank you for allowing us to cater to you and give you the time you needed to relax during Sandy. We look forward to seeing you in the future…when the weather gets nicer!
Best Wishes,
Poolesville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to celebrate our 4th anniversary at the Hillbrook Inn. In order to stay, we utilized the Hillbrook Inn's "One Night Stay for Two" package that was offered on LivingSocial.

It was worth every penny. The staff was delightful, courteous, and eager to help. There is no "front desk" where you can find staff, but you can easily spot a staff member throughout the Main House. Every employee we encountered was able to assist us.

The food was fantastic! We thoroughly enjoyed the three-course dinner for $45 per person. The meal started with warm rolls, and mushroom and sherry soup. The main course was filet mignon with vegetables. For dessert we had chocolate decadence with raspberry sauce. AMAZING!

The complementary breakfast was also delicious. It included a fruit smoothie, french toast, turkey sausage, and some fruit. We enjoyed a couple cups of coffee and some orange and grapefruit juice as well. Ricardo was our server. He was delightful!

Our most favorite part of the trip was the cooking class with Chef Marshall. He taught us how to make "Thanksgiving Dinner". We came to the Inn early, and Carissa, the owner, lead us in her truck to the Farm House, which is a property that Hillbrook owns a couple miles down the road. We found this gesture to be particularly thoughtful. You don't get service like that anywhere else!

When we arrived at the Farm House, we received a warm welcome from Chef Marshall, who had prepped all of the ingredients prior to our arrival. He also prepared some handouts for us to take away from our trip. We made a chicken instead of turkey, since a turkey would have taken longer to cook and would have been too large for our party. We also made butternut squash soup, pumpkin pie, and stuffing within approximately two hours. Then, we got to enjoy our lovely creations! For $45 per person, we felt as though we received a great value for the service and food we made and ate. We hope to come back to take classes with Marshall again with some friends.

Thank you, Hillbrook Inn, for our wonderful stay!

Melanie and Kevin

Dear Melanie and Kevin:
Thank you both for visiting Hillbrook Inn to celebrate your anniversary! It was truly special to share that time with you and create an experience that you will remember for years to come. I will advise my staff of all your kind words and tell Marshall that you really enjoyed his cooking class.

Each of our team members are special and a huge part of Hillbrook Inn. We are personally grateful for each employee and guest that assists in making stays enjoyable! It means the world to each of us that you noticed the attention to details.
We look forward to a future visit with you both and hope you have a new year filled with all the world has to offer!

Best Wishes,
Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!