“Relax and Unwind” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Poolesville, Maryland
“Relax and Unwind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to celebrate our 4th anniversary at the Hillbrook Inn. In order to stay, we utilized the Hillbrook Inn's "One Night Stay for Two" package that was offered on LivingSocial.

It was worth every penny. The staff was delightful, courteous, and eager to help. There is no "front desk" where you can find staff, but you can easily spot a staff member throughout the Main House. Every employee we encountered was able to assist us.

The food was fantastic! We thoroughly enjoyed the three-course dinner for $45 per person. The meal started with warm rolls, and mushroom and sherry soup. The main course was filet mignon with vegetables. For dessert we had chocolate decadence with raspberry sauce. AMAZING!

The complementary breakfast was also delicious. It included a fruit smoothie, french toast, turkey sausage, and some fruit. We enjoyed a couple cups of coffee and some orange and grapefruit juice as well. Ricardo was our server. He was delightful!

Our most favorite part of the trip was the cooking class with Chef Marshall. He taught us how to make "Thanksgiving Dinner". We came to the Inn early, and Carissa, the owner, lead us in her truck to the Farm House, which is a property that Hillbrook owns a couple miles down the road. We found this gesture to be particularly thoughtful. You don't get service like that anywhere else!

When we arrived at the Farm House, we received a warm welcome from Chef Marshall, who had prepped all of the ingredients prior to our arrival. He also prepared some handouts for us to take away from our trip. We made a chicken instead of turkey, since a turkey would have taken longer to cook and would have been too large for our party. We also made butternut squash soup, pumpkin pie, and stuffing within approximately two hours. Then, we got to enjoy our lovely creations! For $45 per person, we felt as though we received a great value for the service and food we made and ate. We hope to come back to take classes with Marshall again with some friends.

Thank you, Hillbrook Inn, for our wonderful stay!

Melanie and Kevin

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Melanie and Kevin:
Thank you both for visiting Hillbrook Inn to celebrate your anniversary! It was truly special to share that time with you and create an experience that you will remember for years to come. I will advise my staff of all your kind words and tell Marshall that you really enjoyed his cooking class.

Each of our team members are special and a huge part of Hillbrook Inn. We are personally grateful for each employee and guest that assists in making stays enjoyable! It means the world to each of us that you noticed the attention to details.
We look forward to a future visit with you both and hope you have a new year filled with all the world has to offer!

Best Wishes,
Carissa Zanella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I have been looking at this place for several years now. This weekend we decided to try it for our anniversary. The dining room was adorable, the staff was very nice, but the food was incredible. There is no menu, you get what the chef cooks up, but that added to the experience wondering what is coming next. My wife did the wine pairing. Their wines complemented each course perfectly. The chef even came around to each table after dinner to make sure that everything was exactly right. I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
I am happy to hear that you felt our dining experience was "absolutely" something special for your anniversary! It was an honor to share our dining facility with you and appreciate the time you took to write a review. We enjoyed having you as a dining guest at Hillbrook Inn and look forward to future visits.
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

After a bruising many months of work, my husband and I were looking for a close-by getaway where we could just decompress. The Hillbrook Inn was just the place. There are wineries in the area and many outdoorsy things to do, but we just wanted comfort, quiet and good food. The Inn offered plenty of places to sit outside and read, listening to the leaves fall. Comfortable rooms and other places to settle in with a book or an area with a TV if your room doesn't have one.

Breakfast is included in the room rate and it was delicious. It's served in a sunroom that overlooks lovely grounds. The service was very friendly and attentive without being intrusive. You have the option to eat dinner at the Inn, at an additional charge and with a reservation: do not pass this up! The three dinners we had were fabulous! All different, very fresh ingredients, and wonderfully thought out in terms of melding flavors and textures. The chef during our visit was just so talented.

I took advantage of the on-site spa and booked two massages which just made my relaxing complete. The facility is very clean and very calming, although the pace at the Inn is hardly frantic.

We found the staff to be very thoughtful and pleasant. Unlike another review, we found no fault with the staff. All were doing a good job, seemingly without effort, and very friendly and gracious. It would be lovely to have a history of the buildings on hand since parts of the building are so very old.

We are inclined to return given the quality of the whole experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Summer Cottage, which was quiet and very nice. The Winter Cottage, however, did hav...
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
I wanted to take the time to thank you for noticing how hard my staff works and happy to hear that they helped you to decompress! I know that we all tend to lead hectic lives these days and sometimes an escape is just needed. We are proud that we were able to create the atmosphere that you were looking for during your escape! Thank you for being a part of Hillbrook and visiting us for your get-a-way. We look forward to future visits.
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My Husband and I used the elopement package to get married at the Hillbrook Inn on October 19th, 2012. We are from Virginia and couldn't find an elegant affordable option for a small wedding so when I expanded the search to West Virginia and stumbled upon the Hillbrook Inn reviews online, I thought this looks perfect and I couldn't have been more right.

There is so much to say about this fantastic inn that it is hard to find where to start, so I guess the best place would be the rooms. We stayed in the Winter Cottage and the pictures online do not do it justice. It is so warm, inviting and spacious. The bed has fabulous linens and the bathroom tub is outstanding. I loved that the fridge had ice and some bottled water. It was little details like that that really sat well with us.

In regards to the ceremony, my husband and I had been fairly disorganized in our planning, but Carissa was beyond helpful. She was there for any and all questions we had. The bouquet and boutineer she put together were absolutely perfect. We were married on the bridge at dusk and it was so picturesque with the lights of the inn starting to turn on.

Following the ceremony we celebrated with our guests in the tavern with hor'duerves and champagne. The room was perfect for such a small group and Carissa and her staff were great at providing us with everything we needed without having to even be asked.

After that we went to the dining room and partook of their 5 course dinner. Among our guests was a vegan and a diabetic, and the chef did such a fantastic job at taking their needs into account. We started with a Bruschetta that had the most delicious tomatoes I have ever tasted. After that was a Butternut Squash soup that our vegan was over the moon about. My Husband was a huge fan of the anti-pasta that came after. The main course was the most succulent Pork Chop any of us had ever cut in to, while our vegan had a Portobello Mushroom steak. Dessert was a Chocolate cake thing with cherry and cream. My Mother-in-Law said it was the best thing she ever tasted. The next morning, we enjoyed a marvelous breakfast at the inn; coffee, fresh juice, fresh fruit, eggs, bacon and Cinnamon Raisin french toast. And on top of the food itself, the dining room was so perfect for our small group. I have truly never enjoyed anything as much as I did the dinner portion of our evening.

Aside from all of these tangible things, there was one subtle thing that really made the entire weekend for us. We work a lot and had a hard time just focusing on how special our wedding really should be leading up to it. From the moment we arrived at the Inn, we were greeted with warm smiles and congratulations; from Carissa, from their wonderful Spa where my makeup was beautifully done, from all of the staff and even from other guests who were staying at the Inn. We were injected into this infectiously relaxed and friendly atmosphere that could not have been a better start to our life together as a married couple.

Room Tip: The Cottages are great for a more secluded romantic feel.
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for all the kind words about your wedding day and experience at the Hillbrook Inn! It was truly an honor to share in such a special day for you both and wish you a lifetime of happiness and laughter. We enjoyed every moment you spent with us and look forward to visiting with you in the future to celebrate anniversaries and your life together! Best wishes today and always, Carissa Zanella
Middle River, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My fiance (now my wife) and I decided to elope for our wedding. We found the Hillbrook Inn through bestplacestoelope.com. After checking it out online, we decided to give it a shot. We could not have been happier with our choice! Everyone was so friendly and eager to please, and they were instrumental in our wedding going perfectly. The Inn provided the officiant (who was great), a beautiful bouquet and corsage, a wonderful cake, and a bottle of champagne. They also recommended a fantastic photographer, and a fantastic place for my wife to have her hair and makeup done. After the ceremony and pictures, we were treated with some delectable hors d'oeuvres and champagne. We were then served a five course dinner. Every course was so delicious, but my favorite courses were the pumpkin soup and the filet mignon. My wife, who doesn't eat red meat, ate "the best chicken she ever had."

While I'm on food, the breakfasts are worthy of their own rave review. Every breakfast was delicous, and the coffee and juices were always fresh. Every breakfast was a fantastic way to start the day. My favorite breakfast was the grilled peaches followed by homemade french toast--so good.

The accommodations were so charming. We stayed in the Serenity suite (which is above the spa in the gatehouse), and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room had a king-sized bed, an electric fireplace, a shower with two heads, a sauna, an iPad, free WiFi, and DirecTV. There was also a mini-fridge, a wine chiller, and a microwave. The room was very clean and quiet. In the main house, the dining room was small but pleasant, the tavern was a nice area to kick back, and the library made for a great place to wait while I was waiting to get married. The grounds were well kept, and on the cool, crisp mornings we really enjoyed the walk from the gatehouse to the main house.

In closing, if you're looking for a place to elope, or even a weekend getaway, I couldn't recommend this place strongly enough. They bent over backwards to make sure everything went perfectly on our day. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We only stayed in the Serenity suite and loved every night.
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
It was truly an honor to share your special day with you both! A truly beautiful bride and handsome groom inside and out… Thank you for allowing us to be a part of such a special occasion in your life and for all your kind words. I am so happy that you were able to find us on-line and that we were with you every step of the way in planning your elopement at Hillbrook Inn. I truly wish you a lifetime filled with love, laughter and happiness. Best wishes today and always. We look forward to celebrating life with you in the years to come.
Sincerely, Carissa Zanella
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here to celebrate my husband's birthday. The Inn is beautiful, decorated with great taste and very comfortable. The grounds are lovely and the setting is romantic and relaxing. Unfortunately the staff lacks the level of professional hospitality service that one would expect at such a elegant setting. The staff worked hard but didn't have the level of professionalism of a fine restaurant and Inn. The breakfast was served in a beautiful dining room. The table settings were very pretty but the food did not always arrive hot. It was difficult to get adequate coffee refills because they had to keep making more coffee. Again, the service was incongruent for such a lovely Inn. Not the fault of those working - but whoever is in charge needs to train staff and have attention to detail. Also, despite the Inn dating back to the mid 1800's we could find no history of the house anywhere in the Inn. All the staff could tell us was that it use to be a private house and the man who built it died shortly after it was built. Beautiful setting for weddings and photos.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Manager at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear HauntedTraveler100:
Thank you for coming to the Hillbrook Inn to celebrate your husband’s birthday. I appreciate that you think the inn is beautiful and comfortable. I am sorry to hear about your feelings about my staff, and will be happy to discuss this post with them. As for training and attention to detail, I will address this in our weekly staff meeting.
Although we have the history posted on the iPads in the rooms, I will work on putting some items together for throughout the Inn again. We typically have cards out for guests to grab as well, but with the busy season upon us I am sure the guests have taken them to enjoy! I will make sure it is replenished, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. You have given me some fantastic ideas to address the history to our guests.
So, thank you for your comments, because it only makes us better. A positive always comes from every experience as we learn and grow. We are sorry that you were disappointed in the visit and would love an opportunity to make it right for you. Please contact us if you choose.
Fairmont, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I loved it! So beautiful and peaceful. I was only able to stay one night and it was raining so I wasn't able to enjoy the gorgeous grounds. However, I did get an incredibly relaxing facial in the spa and then soak in the claw-foot bath tub in my cozy room, The Lookout. The owner was very kind and accommodating. Extras such as cookies left for me in the room and a robe and slippers made the stay even more special. And what a wonderful idea to have an I-Pad in every room. I watched TV on it, listened to music, and then used it to get driving directions to my conference the following day.
I hope to bring my husband and come back for a longer stay in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for loving Hillbrook! I am glad to hear that you had a peaceful experience and that you found the room to be cozy. It is nice to share the inn with our guests and look forward to sharing it with your husband in the future as well.
Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!