“Beautiful Setting with Unprofessional Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Half Off Special!
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Beautiful Setting with Unprofessional Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here to celebrate my husband's birthday. The Inn is beautiful, decorated with great taste and very comfortable. The grounds are lovely and the setting is romantic and relaxing. Unfortunately the staff lacks the level of professional hospitality service that one would expect at such a elegant setting. The staff worked hard but didn't have the level of professionalism of a fine restaurant and Inn. The breakfast was served in a beautiful dining room. The table settings were very pretty but the food did not always arrive hot. It was difficult to get adequate coffee refills because they had to keep making more coffee. Again, the service was incongruent for such a lovely Inn. Not the fault of those working - but whoever is in charge needs to train staff and have attention to detail. Also, despite the Inn dating back to the mid 1800's we could find no history of the house anywhere in the Inn. All the staff could tell us was that it use to be a private house and the man who built it died shortly after it was built. Beautiful setting for weddings and photos.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Manager at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear HauntedTraveler100:
Thank you for coming to the Hillbrook Inn to celebrate your husband’s birthday. I appreciate that you think the inn is beautiful and comfortable. I am sorry to hear about your feelings about my staff, and will be happy to discuss this post with them. As for training and attention to detail, I will address this in our weekly staff meeting.
Although we have the history posted on the iPads in the rooms, I will work on putting some items together for throughout the Inn again. We typically have cards out for guests to grab as well, but with the busy season upon us I am sure the guests have taken them to enjoy! I will make sure it is replenished, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. You have given me some fantastic ideas to address the history to our guests.
So, thank you for your comments, because it only makes us better. A positive always comes from every experience as we learn and grow. We are sorry that you were disappointed in the visit and would love an opportunity to make it right for you. Please contact us if you choose.

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Fairmont, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I loved it! So beautiful and peaceful. I was only able to stay one night and it was raining so I wasn't able to enjoy the gorgeous grounds. However, I did get an incredibly relaxing facial in the spa and then soak in the claw-foot bath tub in my cozy room, The Lookout. The owner was very kind and accommodating. Extras such as cookies left for me in the room and a robe and slippers made the stay even more special. And what a wonderful idea to have an I-Pad in every room. I watched TV on it, listened to music, and then used it to get driving directions to my conference the following day.
I hope to bring my husband and come back for a longer stay in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for loving Hillbrook! I am glad to hear that you had a peaceful experience and that you found the room to be cozy. It is nice to share the inn with our guests and look forward to sharing it with your husband in the future as well.
alexandria, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I spent a night here through a package on Living Social. From start to finish, the staff and the surroundings at Hillbrook are just perfect. Their staff contacted me to ensure that our spa and dinner times were to our liking, the Inn is gorgeous, the room was romantic, the dinner was outstanding, the drinks on the patio were refreshing, the massages were heavenly, and the breakfast was ridiculously good. We meandered about and relaxed in one of the hammocks under a gorgeous tree and recharged our batteries on a much needed and perfect weekend. I kind of want to keep this little gem to myself since it's so close to DC, but they deserve to have everyone know how great they are.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Yes, we agree we are the “best kept secret in Charles Town”. Thank you for enjoying our property with us and for “sharing us”. We enjoy the time we spend with our guests and appreciate that you think of us as a little gem. We do look forward to seeing you in the future and hope to see you soon.
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was our 2nd time coming to Hillbrook--I just love this place! Stayed in the Bamford Suite and was impressed again by the attention taken to the cleanliness of the room, the linens and towels are so nice--you will feel pampered! Got a beautiful pedicure at the spa from Becky--she was great! Thank you Carissa for this wonderful getaway spot that we love. We drive from Baltimore so it is still close enough yet we know we are truly away with the beautiful home, grounds, etc. We will be back!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We always love to see “Hillbrook Friends”. We enjoyed visiting with you both and are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the spa as well this visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I went for our anniversary and we loved the whole experience. We stayed in one of the rooms in the main house and it was so nice. The decor was lovely and our room gave us a "quaint homey" feeling. We had the three-course dinner and it was delicious. We met the owner (who happened to be our chef for dinner) and she was very nice and accommodating. She even lit the fire pit for us to enjoy after dinner and offered us homemade quilts to use. Breakfast was delicious and everyone was so nice. We actually loved it so much that we have already booked another stay for October!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments about the Inn and the “delicious food”. In addition, I am glad you got to enjoy the fire pit; it is so nice to sit and relax with someone you care about. The weather has been perfect for that type of evening. We hope you enjoy the day, look forward to visiting with you in October!
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I have been coming to Hillbrook for years. We have never been let down with our experience here. It's approximately a four hour drive from our home in Williamsburg, VA and it's worth EVERY MINUTE! We have been here through about every different season and it's always beautiful. A wonderful place to get away from the busy life and enjoy yourself. My wife and I are in the Military and don't make a kings wages so that should tell you how special this place must be. Dinner is a MUST - Executive Chef Hale is amazing and can tell us what we've eaten every single time we have stayed there. My wife utilized the SPA and it was awesome. You won't be diappointed in Hillbrook at all!

Room Tip: We have stayed in a few different rooms but love the cottages for privacy and a romantic getaway.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind words! “Constantly returning, continually amazed..” was a great heading to read today. It made us feel like what we do every day was seen. Therefore, we would like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts. I want you to know that we appreciate our guests and we are grateful that we have the ability to meet so many wonderful l people here at the Hillbrook Inn. I appreciate that you continually come back to visit with us and that we are able to create an atmosphere that exceeds every time. Thank you for your business Drew! Thank you for making it possible for us to do what we do every day!
Sincerely, Carissa Zanella
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I spent two wonderful nights at the Hillbrook Inn in Charles Town WV. A great surprise...lovely grounds, interesting old residence. Superb full breakfasts included daily. We stayed in the Winter Room, one of four rooms outside the main residence. Quiet, peaceful, beautifully decorated and well maintained. Had dinner at the Inn on first night. Creative presentation, excellent service and set in a particularly attractive sunroom overlooking a large expanse of open space at the rear of the property. The grounds include a Spa and, much to my wife's delight, a quilting studio. We enjoyed a visit to Harpers Ferry, a brief 20 minute drive away. Overall excellent experience.

Room Tip: We particularly liked the rooms outside the main house but all are attractive and well decorated
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of the inn, but more importantly that you got to do it together for your anniversary. It was our pleasure to create a wonderful experience! Have a wonderful day, and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!