“Great getaway from DC!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great getaway from DC!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We found Hillbrook through a Living Social deal. I'm so glad we bought it! The Inn was not that far from DC so it was easy for a weekend overnight trip. The grounds are so lovely and peaceful. I regret not having time to walk around them. We stayed in the Bamford Suite which was beautiful and quite spacious. No tub for soaking in that suite, just FYI.

We did the 3-course dinner and the food was exceptional. Breakfast, included with your stay, was yummy! The service was very friendly and welcoming.

Included in our living social deal was a $50 spa credit, so we made appointments for a massage and facial. Both were good services, but a little expensive.

One note, it is not a cheap trip, even with the living social deal. Gratuity and taxes for services still can add up. That is not to say we didn't enjoy every component of our visit, but just something to remember before you come visit.

Would definitely recommend Hillbrook to others and look forward to returning there myself. Hopefully in the fall or winter so we can use the big fireplaces in the main house!

Room Tip: Spacious but still cozy - Bamford!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for your review and kind words about the Hillbrook Inn! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Bamford Suite! It is a beautiful room and one of guest’s favorites especially in the fall because it has a real wood burning fireplace. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the three-course dinner and that it was exceptional! I am sorry to hear that you felt it was a little expensive, but glad to hear that you felt it was worth the money enough to return! We are looking forward to your future visits!
Carissa Zanella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We used a Living Social deal to make our plans to visit the Hillbrook Inn during the very hot first week in July of 2012. Using the deal, the staff allowed us to upgrade the room, and while we paid above the deal offer, we still realized some savings for our three-night stay. Our 'Cottage' room in the separate building on the property was spacious, comfortable, clean, nicely appointed and attractive with modern amenities and central heating/AC. We recommend these rooms. We heard that rooms in the main Inn building were on the small side and had window unit AC's. The meals we had (complimentary breakfasts each morning, plus an extra lunch and two dinners) served in the main building were tasty, natural and attractive, but even during our short stay, we saw some repetition (i.e., we were given a dessert for our 'romantic' dinner which was the same from two nights before.) The main Inn building was attractive, with it's chain of small common rooms. We had massages at the spa which were quality, (although we think they were a bit under the hour we paid for - so double-check with staff). Biggest point to consider, we found the staff always to be friendly and helpful. But it is a family operation, and many of the staff are pulling double-duty (i.e., cooking/serving as well as houekeeping). There are no "front desk" staff sitting by waiting to answer questions, etc. Just be prepared to have some patience for when you want assistance. All in all, we enjoyed our stay. It was a 20-minute or so drive to historic Harper's Ferry and to River Riders for rafting, kayaking, etc.

Room Tip: We recommend the Cottage rooms, and if you decide to stay there, say 'hi' to the cardinal wh...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you Steve for the time you took to write a review. I am happy that you were able to visit and stay in a cottage. They are very wonderful suites with a lot of amenities. They are wonderful rooms and provide guests with a lot of privacy. As for the dining, I am glad to hear that you had information about the dining; I am sorry to hear that there was repetition and I will look into the menus and discuss this with staff. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the main house and chain of common areas. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the quality massage! I am sorry to hear that you felt you were shorted time, we do allot for time before and after massage for changing, which is in the policy letter. If you felt yours was more than expected, I wish we would have heard about this. I am personally going to have a meeting with Spa technicians and will discuss timing during the meeting. I assure you that I don’t want guests to ever feel like they did not get the full service. As for the staff, I am glad to hear that the staff was friendly and helpful! Yes, we have several staff members that are related, which is truly a blessing…and yes we all wear many hats. Over the past two years as we have grown the business we have also hired several new employees, and will continue to do so as time goes on. We are just blessed to have jobs that we love with guests that we respect. Our goal is to make sure that every expectation you have is met and we all try our best to make that happen. I am sorry to hear that you had to wait for assistance at times, and I will address this with staff as well. Although, more importantly I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the full experience and look forward to seeing you in the future. We look forward to exceeding your expectations next time! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Northern Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Went to the Hillbrook a few years ago. Called the night before arrival and asked about the Procrastinator's Special. Lady who answered said it was no problem, but I would just need to call the next morning to reserve the room for the same day. Well, the next morning on the drive to C-Town I made the call... No one picked up. Finally arrived and no one was in the front office. Stumbled upon what I believe was a cleaning lady. Only by virtue of that were we able to get a room. The suite was nice, but overpriced unless you get the Procrastinator's Special.... which is unavailable now. (I think its disappearance coincided with the arrival of Hollywood Casino.) Also disappointed to know that dogs can now enjoy staying in the suites. When I think of romantic and clean, I don't want to sleep in a bed that multiple canines have slept/slobbered on.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you for your review! I was surprised to see that you stayed with us almost a year ago and wrote the review now. Had I known about the disappointment earlier we would have tried to talk to you and made things right. As time goes by it makes it difficult! I don't know why someone was not there to assist you, because of timing it would make it difficult to track and we apologize deeply. Since last year, with the increase in business we have added additional staff and a answering service for our guests, therefore we hope this is beneficial. As for the "procrastinator rate" we eliminated it three years ago, a year before the track introduced gaming tables two years ago on July 4th weekend. It was a personal business decision to help the inn. I am sorry to hear you are disappointed that it was discontinued, but we do offer several other specials throughout the year that can be found on our web-site. As for pet friendly rooms, we do not look at it the same way! We have been a pet friendly facility prior to my husband and I taking ownership in 2004. We are advertising it more now. We offer suites and rooms that are both pet friendly and pet free. In addition, we are particular on cleaning our rooms, especially after a pet is in the room. Beds are totally stripped after stay, rooms are scrubbed from top to bottom, and we have even taken curtains and rugs out to be cleaned. So, thinking about our furry frIends is much different for us and possibly a non-pet friendly room would be a more appropriate choice for you in the future. Although, since your visit was in our busy season of fall, and last minute I realize we may not have been able to accommodate that type of request. We deeply apologize for the disappointing experience and hope if you return in the future, we can accommodate your needs and reach your expectations. I do appreciate the time you took to write the review and for remembering is after such a long time!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Hillbrook is a beautiful country house nestling in the West Virginia countryside hidden well-back from the road and surrounded by picturesque but not over manicured gardens. Our room was "The Point", up a narrow staircase into a gable of the house. The room was (as some reviewers have noted) small by modern North American hotel standards but more than adequate for one or two nights, with ample closet and drawer space. It was beautifully furnished (as was the whole house) in period and the bed was very comfortable. Large or unsteady people might find the narrow passageway into the room and the steep stairs up to it difficult, but for us they were part of the charm you often find in inns of this kind. The room's only fault (in our view a potentially significant one) was the old, noisy and ineffective window mounted air conditioner.

We had pre-ordered the 5 course dinner and were served tilapia, salad, pasta, filet mignon with fresh vegetables and chocolate mousse. Our server (also the receptionist, spa manager and owner's aunt!) was very polite, friendly and helpful and the chef seemed happy to chat (contrary to one reviewer's observation). The food was good, well-served and my wife thought the steak (which is aged by the chef) amongst the best she has tasted.

We travel a great deal and thought Hillbrook an enjoyable experience, would stay there again and will certainly recommend it to friends. If you are looking for B&B you might find it a bit pricey and intimidating. If you like 5 star hotel standards you will find it does not have the resources to meet your every need. If you like something comfortable and a little different at a fair price, this is the place for you.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Yes we are nestled in the countryside of West Virginia and surrounded by a magnificent piece of property that we enjoy seeing guests use. It is a pleasure to see everyone on the front terrace or enjoying a friendly game of chess on the front lawn. In addition, it was nice to hear you enjoyed the experience in the dining room. Our Executive Chef is amazing and has a really large heart. Anyone that spends a lot of time with Christine knows that she has a lot to offer to life both personally and at work! In addition, “Aunt Becky” is a true blessing to my family and our “Hillbrook Family”. She really adds a special touch to our inn and works very hard in every aspect of the Inn. We all spend a lot of time here, put a lot of heart into our jobs and most of all enjoy our guests. Yes, we all wear a lot of hats, but wear them mostly with love and are truly blessed to be where we are! So, thank you for the kind words and we look forward to future visits.
Annapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

My husband pointed the Living Social offer to me in June. It looked great. We booked the 2 night stay. We had to change rooms the 2nd night so that enabled us to see 2 different rooms in the main house. We stayed in The Locke's Nest the first night and then the next AM they moved our bags to The Point. Even though it was smaller it had its own charm.

The two gourmet breakfasts were just outstanding. The preparation and resulting presentation could have been a photograph in a gourmet magazine.

I took advantage of the spa credit and had a very relaxing pedicure. I loved the chair for the pedicure and the music was just so calming.

The staff here are so friendly and informative. They couldn't do enough to make you feel at home.

The grounds were impeccable even after a recent storm hit the area. We were able to stroll the grounds and even saw a resident deer.

We have found that any places in The Select Registry book are always "top notch". The owner must take great pride in her possession.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for all your kind words. We do take great pride in our possession, but most of all in the staff that makes it all happen. We are a lucky group of individuals to be able to come to work some place so special every day. I will inform each of them about your raving reviews for the breakfast, the relaxing pedicure and it is great to hear you felt the grounds were impeccable. Especially that week because it took a lot of hard work to keep up with that storm had done. We are blessed that it was not that horrible and keep the families our thoughts that had extensive damage or long lengths without electric.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

The 5 course prix-fixe dinner accompanied by a 5 course wine pairing was outstanding. We were graciously interviewed by the inn staff prior to our arrival regarding food allergies, preferences and dislikes in order to assure our satisfaction with our dinner and breakfast. We played garden chess at dusk after enjoying a relaxing stroll through the grounds. We loved the bed in our room so much that staff emailed me with the details! The next day we headed out to nearby Antietam for an excellent introduction to the most deadly battle of the Civil War and concluded the day antiquing in Hagerstown. A charming spot for a weekend get-away off the beaten track but well worth the detour!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for enjoying your visit at the Hillbrook Inn! We enjoyed having you visit and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the 5 course prix-fixe dinner and wine pairing. I am also happy to hear that we were able to assure satisfaction with dietary needs. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed your bed as well as the surrounding area. It is a wonderful area dripping with history, and surrounded with so many wonderful activities. I hope you have a wonderful day and we look forward to future visits.
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Discovered Hillbrook on a LivingSocial deal - what a find! Made a girls' getaway of it, spending the day at the spa and time at the slots (a quick drive away). The room (The Locke's Nest) was immaculate, spacious, and extremely comfortable. (Hard to imagine the earlier reviewer who speculated about used soap in the bathroom...it is clear that the owners and staff take great pride in and puts great care into making a guest's stay unforgettable. Like the owner's comment below, I have taken my own sheets and towels to hotels and won't step on the floor - not so here). No central AC in the main house (can't speak for the cottages) and while there are window AC units, give thought to a spring/fall visit if you're super sensitive to heat. The 5-course dinner and breakfast were scrumptious. When they ask you for food restrictions/preferences, take this seriously - it's sincerely meant because the evening's menu is fixed for all diners (so everyone eats the same dishes) based upon the diners' dislikes/allergies/requirements. Am I really about to say...best muffin ever at breakfast! Saturday at 8:15 a.m. - breakfast room to ourselves - perfect way to start the day. The grounds are beautiful - too bad it was too oppressively hot to go outside. The spa - my friend and I each had 3 services: hot stone massage with Debbie (my friend said it was the best massage she's ever had), pedicure with Becky (who did a great job and was super friendly - she also serves dinner), body contour wrap with Susan, Kansa Vatki foot treatment with Susan, and facial with Susan. Susan is a delight! The foot treatment is done with a light touch (so not like having your feet worked on by a massage therapist). On the facial, Susan's gift is the face massage - there are no words! The spa is cozy - perfect for the two of us (if you have a large group, scheduling/overlapping might be an issue). On other reviewers' complaints about the 20% gratuity on all services - that's what I tip, so it just made everything convenient. My one regret - that we only stayed one night (two would have doubled my relaxation)! (If only there were a pool...)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I am so happy to hear that you found the Hillbrook Inn. A girl’s get-a-way is always nice and sometimes needed. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the spa, the Locke’s Nest and the dining! It is nice to see when a guests gets to enjoy the entire inn and all it has to offer. It was an honor to share it with you and do appreciate your kind words. We do try to make each guests stay unique, relaxing and convenient. We look forward to seeing you both in the future and hope you enjoy the rest of your summer! Maybe it will cool down a bit for all of us…it is a lot to compete with sometimes! Fall is my personal favorite time of year!
Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!