“A gem - can't wait to return!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Half Off Special!
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Silver Spring, Maryland
“A gem - can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Discovered Hillbrook on a LivingSocial deal - what a find! Made a girls' getaway of it, spending the day at the spa and time at the slots (a quick drive away). The room (The Locke's Nest) was immaculate, spacious, and extremely comfortable. (Hard to imagine the earlier reviewer who speculated about used soap in the bathroom...it is clear that the owners and staff take great pride in and puts great care into making a guest's stay unforgettable. Like the owner's comment below, I have taken my own sheets and towels to hotels and won't step on the floor - not so here). No central AC in the main house (can't speak for the cottages) and while there are window AC units, give thought to a spring/fall visit if you're super sensitive to heat. The 5-course dinner and breakfast were scrumptious. When they ask you for food restrictions/preferences, take this seriously - it's sincerely meant because the evening's menu is fixed for all diners (so everyone eats the same dishes) based upon the diners' dislikes/allergies/requirements. Am I really about to say...best muffin ever at breakfast! Saturday at 8:15 a.m. - breakfast room to ourselves - perfect way to start the day. The grounds are beautiful - too bad it was too oppressively hot to go outside. The spa - my friend and I each had 3 services: hot stone massage with Debbie (my friend said it was the best massage she's ever had), pedicure with Becky (who did a great job and was super friendly - she also serves dinner), body contour wrap with Susan, Kansa Vatki foot treatment with Susan, and facial with Susan. Susan is a delight! The foot treatment is done with a light touch (so not like having your feet worked on by a massage therapist). On the facial, Susan's gift is the face massage - there are no words! The spa is cozy - perfect for the two of us (if you have a large group, scheduling/overlapping might be an issue). On other reviewers' complaints about the 20% gratuity on all services - that's what I tip, so it just made everything convenient. My one regret - that we only stayed one night (two would have doubled my relaxation)! (If only there were a pool...)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I am so happy to hear that you found the Hillbrook Inn. A girl’s get-a-way is always nice and sometimes needed. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the spa, the Locke’s Nest and the dining! It is nice to see when a guests gets to enjoy the entire inn and all it has to offer. It was an honor to share it with you and do appreciate your kind words. We do try to make each guests stay unique, relaxing and convenient. We look forward to seeing you both in the future and hope you enjoy the rest of your summer! Maybe it will cool down a bit for all of us…it is a lot to compete with sometimes! Fall is my personal favorite time of year!

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Hanover, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here June 30, 2012 for our wedding night. We had gotten married earlier in the day and drove a few hours to Hillbrooke to stop for the night before continuing our journey to Tennessee for our honeymoon.

We had a great time and the inn was a perfect environment for our first evening together. We stayed in The Point, which as described in other reviews, is pretty small, but was fine for our one evening at the inn. I don't know that I would have wanted to spend my entire weekend there, unless I had plenty of other activities planned to keep me out of the room.

A few things worth mentioning though....

1. Our tiny AC unit was not enough to properly cool the room. Stuffy is an understatement....It was hot. If our tiny room was that warm, I would hate to see the same unit in a bigger room. Of course a part of it was that we were basically right under the roof where an attic would be, but a better AC unit would have been much appriciated all the same.

2. We ordered the Strawberries and Champagne add-on to our room, which was brought up to us very shortly after our arrival. First off, because of the price, I was expecting a little more than we got (approxamately ten strawberries of varied sizes). Also, the strawberries were covered in dark chocolate. I am not a huge fan of the dark chocolate, so it was a bit of a let down for me, but by life loves dark so she was happy to eat them all in my stead. I don't remember seeing them listed as dark chocolate, and if I had, I may have thought twice about getting them.

3. For future visitors, please make a list of foods that you do not particularly enjoy and provide it when you book. We didn't realize that everything that is made is made with your own tastes in mind. For example, my wife and I aren't huge fruit people, but because we didn't list it, our first course at breakfast was a plateful of fruit. Our server (the fabulous, awesome, raise-worthy Ricardo), upon realizing the situation, promptly took our fruit and brought us granola instead. Our second course was amazing, leaving me wishing that I hadn't wasted so much room on the granola so I would have had more room for the omlet, sausage, and the best blueberry muffin that I had ever had.

So all in all, Hillbrooke is quite expensive, but definately delivers. My wife are looking forward to a return visit sometime around our six month anniversery where we can hopefully spend more time getting to know the inn and the grounds.

Room Tip: Book early for the best rooms.
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
We can’t wait until your next visit as well! Maybe that six month anniversary! We do hope you enjoyed your trip to Tennessee for your honeymoon.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your one night stay in the Point and would be happy to plan your next visit with you. There is plenty to do in the area such as; visiting Harpers Ferry WV, Shepherdstown WV, Winchester VA, Antietam battlefield, walk along the C&O Canal, hiking, biking, wineries, antique shopping and more. If you want to enjoy the property we would be happy to book your dining, spa services, or you can enjoy the chess board or a fire in the backyard.
I am sorry to hear that your air conditioner was not working properly. I have sent the message over to maintenance. I am also sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the chocolate covered strawberries, I wish you would have brought this up to us during your visit. If we knew you did not prefer dark chocolate, we could have accommodated other arrangements. I will look at the description as well to assist guests in the future.
I am so happy that we were able to accommodate your breakfast needs, even if we didn’t realize it when we planned the menu. We try to make adjustments when needed, and Ricardo was happy to do so. We are also happy we were able to deliver a memorable experience as well! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

A wonderful attentive staff. A great breakfast and wonderful surroundings. Everything you want in an Inn.

, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. We are happy that you visited with us and hope to see you agian soon!
Tuckerton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We absolutely loved every thing about the Hillbrook Inn! Beyond my expectations when I booked a week before for our 40th Anniversary. When we drove down the driveway and saw the beautiful grounds and inn, I new I would love every thing about Hillbrook! I only booked one night but when I told Carissa we wanted to stay another night, no problem although we did have to move from the main house to the spring cottage which was absolutely beautiful! Enjoyed the jacuzzi very much. The staff made us feel at home. The food was absolutely delicious and the attention to every detail was amazing! I loved the warm feel to the inn and felt right at home. The furnishings in the rooms were beautiful! I already have recommended the Hillbrook to friends who have pets. Our Emily enjoyed herself as well. A big "Thank You" to Carissa and Christopher for a wonderful experience! The best anniversary present ever! I do hope we can return! Our sincere thanks, Mary & Doug J

Room Tip: The cottages are more spacious if you are traveling with pets and more private.
Dear Mary,
We enjoyed having you both at the Hillbrook Inn to celebrate such an important day! It was nice to share the inn with Emily as well! We are happy that you were not only able to experience the Main House, but a cottage as well. Each room is unique and special! Thank you for sharing your time with us, we enjoyed every minute and look forward to seeing you in the future.
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Hillbrook went above and beyond my expectations, which were already pretty high based on what others have said about it. I purchased a Living Social deal for a one-night stay and found myself wishing I'd opted for a two-night stay instead; there's so much to explore and experience here that one night is just not enough! From the grounds (which really are as lovely as everyone says, and I wish we'd had more time explore them) to the inn itself (which is roomy and cozy at the same time) to our room (which was perfect in every way- I loved the plate of cookies, and the bathtub!) to the food (dinner and breakfast were divine) to the spa (completely relaxing and refreshing) to the personalized attention at every level of service - I have to say that no part of this stay left me unimpressed. I was there to celebrate an anniversary, and I foresee this inn becoming part of our history in the future for many return trips. I cannot say "thank you" to Christopher and Carissa for a superlative experience!

Room Tip: I only stayed in one room - the Snuggery - but if you want intimacy, this is the room to choose. It...
, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I am so happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations! It was a pleasure to share the Hillbrook with you and glad it gave you an opportunity for you to relax. Happy anniversary! We wish you another year filled with love and laughter.
Northport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We frequently stay in B&Bs and this was far and away the best experience ever. We took our dog and clearly he had a great time running on the property, as he was exhausted every night! The main house felt like a home and the cottage where we stayed with the dog was spacious, yet cozy. We had dinner the first night and the food was delicious, and a great deal ($65/person for a 5-course meal). The breakfasts were included and were equally delicious with generous portions. We will definitely be returning this year just to get away for a few days, and hope to bring more family next time! Nancy - Long Island, NY

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Nancy:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! We enjoyed your visit and it was an honor to hear that this was the best experience ever. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the meals and everything surrounding Hillbrook and making it what it is for guests. We look forward to seeing you in the future and we would love to meet the rest of your family.
Ebensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We had a very relaxing weekend stay at the Hillbrook Inn. The spa service was above and beyond we have ever had. The food was outstanding. The folks that work there made us feel very welcome and were very friendly. Hope to go back soon!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room.
Hillbrook, Manager at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Jackie M:
Thank you for all your kind words! It was a pleasure to share Hillbrook with you and I am happy to hear that you truly enjoyed the Spa. It is nice to know that someone walked away feeling completely relaxed. We look forward to your future visits as well and look forward to seeing you soon.
Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!