“B&B for Me - Racing for Him” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Owings Mills, Maryland
“B&B for Me - Racing for Him”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We picked a great couple of days for our outing near Charles Town, WV when my husband and I (still on our quest to find our favorite B&B) travelled on Thursday, April 26th to the Hillbrook Inn. We had always wanted to take my husband’s street car, a 2003 Ford Focus SVT (high performance), to a track just see what the old girl had in her. The Inn is about 3 miles from the Summit Point Motorsports Park so it was a perfect fit, B&B for me and racing for him. We arrived at to check in at 3:00 P.M. and were greeted by Bobby, who showed us around the main Inn and then met us at our “Summer” Cottage, which was spacious with a big comfortable bed, large bathroom, and 2-person spa tub and 2-person shower. We did not use the i-Pad in the room because my husband brought his computer so he could download video he took at the track. Cookies were put in the room and we had complementary water in the mini-fridge. We had reservations for dinner at 6:00 P.M. at the Inn and we were glad we did. We went for a walk before dinner around the grounds which are lovely with a stream meandering through the property. We were walking along the stream when suddenly in the woods on the opposite side a small herd of white tail deer took off running. We kept walking after being startled by the deer and were trying to get a glimpse of the frogs leaping into the ponds and streams. Then we saw two sets of Canadian geese with their goslings in tow. The funny thin was, there was a regular old farm goose following one family – I thought it was after the babies but come to find out – it thought it was one of their babies (talk about an ugly duckling – but sweet too). We went in to the Bullskin Tavern, a bar area in the Inn and Bobby was there to serve us. She went to great lengths to make sure my husband got the specialty drink he loves. Dinner was a prix fix menu and we did not know what was being served – BUT it was great. Carrot soup – yum and filet – the best! We loved it!! After we went back to the room and we made good use of the spa tub. I usually do not sleep well away from home (because we have a waterbed) but I did here. The Inn made special arrangements for my husband’s early breakfast – so he could make his track time at 8:00 A.M. And I had a facial and massage – which were outstanding. We stayed the night and left after a delightful breakfast on Saturday. Love, love, loved it there. FYI – if you stay in the Summer Cottage be aware of visits from a little friend. There is a beautiful red cardinal who pecks frequently at the windows. He sees his reflection and is very territorial and wants the beautiful red bird in the window to go away. Silly bird!?!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
We are so happy that you were able to visit the Hillbrook Inn, while visiting the track. I hope that your husband enjoyed having is 2003 Ford Focus SVT (high performance) at the track! We are in a close proximity to the Summit Point Speedway and have the privilege of meeting some of the most wonderful guests that participate in events at the track. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed all the amenities in the room and able to take part in the sumptuous dinner prepared by our Chef. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the entire property from the grounds, the wildlife, to the meals and tavern! We were happy to share everything with you and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Carissa Zanella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
BRISTOW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the aptly named Snuggery, a wonderful little room at the top of stairs on the rear upper level of the inn. We loved the cozy room, with its little private deck. The room is warmly decorated in patterned wall paper and curtains. There is a double bed, a love seat, an armoire for hanging things and a small bathroom with a jacuzzi soaking tub. Cookies, wine and coffee were provided in the room (wine at extra charge). The inn itself is right out of Charles Dickens. I was moved to start Little Dorrit from the Dickens collection in the library. We joined friends for the three-course supper one night and enjoyed two breakfasts. The food was fresh and expertly prepared by executive chef Christine Hale. Our supper was a large salad, very fresh and flavorful Mahi Mahi, and an delicious slice of pecan pie. There are natural springs on the property and the streams run amazingly clear, with several fat geese to greet you. Side trips to Sheperdsville, Harpers Ferry and Charles Town are recommended; the area history is rich and still evident in buildings, museums and exhibits.

Room Tip: The snuggery is the smallest room, but we loved it!
Dear Phil4dar:
I loved the title “Dickens of an Inn”! More importantly thank you for taking the time to write a review. It truly means the world to both my husband and I, as well as our staff. It was nice to read about your room, reading, dining, the property and relaxation. In addition, we love our geese, and have also welcomed the goslings onto the property as well. It is truly an honor to work and Hillbrook and share it with so many wonderful guests! We look forward to visiting with you in the future and hope you have a wonderful day!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The inn is near Harper's Ferry National Park and town -- both great places to visit. The staff was very helpful and friendly, everything was very clean and neat and offered great breakfast food. Nearby is horse racing which was fun to watch. The attached casino was very busy so we didn't spend much time there. There are great places around the property to relax. I had a facial in the spa and that was fantastic! The nice stroll from the inn to the spa was relaxing, even with the need of an umbrella (provided in the room). They thought of everything!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
It was a true pleasure to share the Inn with you both and I am happy to hear that we “thought of everything”. We take a lot of time trying and love to hear the feedback to help us to maintain and get better and everything we do here at the Hillbrook Inn! I am also happy to hear that you had a fantastic facial! I have to say it is a very popular service and enjoyed by many. I do hope you visit with us in the future to relax and enjoy the area!
Bethesda, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I loved our one night getaway to Hillbrook Inn. The Inn was beautiful, the accomodations lovely, the food delicious and the staff very friendly and knowlegable. The spa was also great and relaxing.. We cannot wait to return and have told our friends about our experience.

Room Tip: We loved the Locke's Nest it was the highest point of the Inn and very spacious.
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments about your accommodations, food and staff at our Inn! I am also happy to hear that you where able to take advantage of the spa and relax a bit during your stay. It is nice to know that our guests have had a well rounded experience!
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I went here for a girls getaway during exam week and absolutely loved it! The place was extremely charming and completely relaxing. The bed was big and comfortable. The fireplace was wonderful. Everything about the room and the experience was perfect for helping us relax during a difficult exam time. The breakfast the next day was delicious! It added a perfect way to end the short getaway from college. I can't wait to go back and would recommend this lovely B&B to anyone!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
I am happy that we got to be a part of your “Girls Get-a-way” weekend during exam week. I know what it is like to study hard and needing an escape. I am glad to hear that you found what you needed at the Hillbrook Inn! Best wishes with school!
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Hillbrook Inn before having our first child, and it was exactly what we were looking for. Beautiful property, friendly staff, great massages, great food. Couldn't have been happier. Great place to get away and just relax.

Room Tip: We got upgraded to the Spring Cottage and it was awesome!
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
We are so happy that you and your wife where able to have a relaxing Baby Moon! More importantly we wish you both a lifetime filled with joy, laughter and love with the new baby! It is such an exciting time in life with so much to offer. Best wishes with creating those memories and appreciate that we could be a small part of that with you both!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

My husband and I spent one night in the Snuggery with a Living Social deal. Before arriving, we went on a bike ride along the C&O Canal and Potomac River in Harper's Ferry, which was a great way to spend the day. The town is nearby and so cute. The grounds at the Hillbrook Inn are beautiful, the staff is pleasant, and the food was fantastic. My favorite part of the experience was getting a facial from Angie. It was the best spa experience I've ever had. The roman tub and ipad in the room and the hammock outside were great features, too. I'm really glad to read that the owners just bought new mattresses for the Inn because that was the only thing that I thought could be improved. If you want a special weekend away, this is a nice place for relaxation, a little bit of luxury, and an outdoorsy adventure. I can't wait to go back.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you for your kind words! It was wonderful to share the Inn with you. I agree with the comment about Angie, she is amazing at facials! I hope you have a wonderful day, and look forward to see you in the future.
Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!