“Awesome Romantic Getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Frederick, Maryland
“Awesome Romantic Getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

A little piece of heaven minutes from the Northern Virginia wine trail. My wife and I had been planning to visit several vineyards in NOVA and this was our excuse! As far as B&Bs go, it's among the best I've ever visited. The staff is welcoming and extremely helpful and we felt like royalty the moment we arrived. We checked in and got a tour of the not oversized home, including a library, music room, tavern, dining rooms, sitting rooms and, of course, our bedroom, the Bamford Suite. Though we didn't get to see many of the rooms as they were occupied, I could tell that time and effort was put into the decorating and upkeep of the antiques and heirlooms througout the house. The owners have injected just the right amount of technology into the home, allowing for common comforts while not obscuring the olde world feeling. An ipad in each of the rooms of the main house is a nice touch, complimented by the absence of a television in many of the suites (perfect for romantic getaways). We did not get to experience the multi-course dinners available, but judging by the breakfast, we will definitely include them next time. The grounds are large and spacious with large hammocks and an adorable creek that winds its way through the property. We took advantage of the fire pit just off the main house and listened to the extensive wildlife including a variety of birds. The owner, Carissa, tends bar during a quaint cocktail hour prior to dinner. The stories of the house are entertaining as are the folks who work there, all making sure you are having a good time. I definitely will return.

Room Tip: Suites in the "cottages" offer more modern luxuries like televisions and A/C while the mai...
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear Christopher: Thank you for your visit to the Hillbrook Inn! I truly enjoyed sitting and talking to both of you about the wonderful day on the wine trail. I appreciate your kind words about our staff and inn itself. The Bamford Suite is a delightful room with a beautiful view and I am happy you were able to have it for the evening. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the technology in the rooms, we are very excited to be offering the iPad 2™ in each of our rooms and not take away from the charm of the home. It is a pleasure to hear you really enjoyed breakfast, I will advise the breakfast Chef that you enjoyed the meal. She loves to hear the feedback, it encourages her to create something new and fun for guests to enjoy. Our Executive Chef Christine Hale is looking forward to your next visit and sharing what she has to offer with you both! I love the fire pit as well, it is always fun to sit and relax with a fire and a glass of wine or on a great day a S’more, you can never go wrong with chocolate. Personally, I enjoyed sitting and talking at the cocktail hour as well. It is the best part of my job, getting to know the people that visit us and share is something we love deeply! I truly appreciate your time and look forward to future visits. ~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We bought a groupon deal for the room, $50 spa credit, breakfast, and a Turkish robe/slippers. We stayed in the Locke's nest, which is a nice, spacious room upstairs. Hillbrook offers a nice getaway. We took advantage of the 5-course dinner at the inn, which was lovely. The chef used fresh ingredients and diversified the courses nicely, from a spinach cheddar puff pastry, to penne with fresh herbs, to a salmon or filet mignon - both of which were cooked perfectly, concluding with a divine creme brulee. Only downsides of the experience were the massage that my husband received (mine was wonderful), where the masseuse seemed inexperienced and used a non-smelling lotion (my husband's request) that smelled like an old attic (not what was expected). Additionally, having ipads in the room instead of tvs is fine, but the wifi did not reach to the bed in the room very well, which meant that netlfix streaming was low quality and came in and out. Besides those two points, I would recommend Hillbrook. The grounds are lovely, service is nice, and it's a relaxing getaway.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
I am happy to hear that you purchased a deal to visit Hillbrook and were able to stay in the Locke’s Nest. In addition, were able to take advantage of the sumptuous five-course meal. Christine is amazing and a wonderful part of our team. I am sorry to hear about the spa experience. The technicians have had wonderful reviews in the past, so I will make sure that I speak to them personally about your review and feedback; to make sure that they are giving the "Hillbrook" experience I am looking to achieve in the spa. I will also make a trip up to the spa to check out the organic non-smelling lotion you are referring to. I am also disappointed to hear that your i-pad did not work to its fullest on the wi-fi. I personally did not hear about this during your stay, therefore, I apologize for not responding to your need during your stay. I do hope that you told a staff member about the issue, and I have mentioned it to our IT Manager as well so he can assist in making sure it is acceptable for guests. Your feedback is deeply appreciated and hope that during your next visit we can make it even a better experience. ~Sincerely,
Carissa Zanella
DC Metro area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My husband and I spent a night with our dog at Hillbrook for my birthday in March. We had a great time. The grounds are beautiful and the cottages are extremely comfortable and beautifully furnished. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. We had dinner at the inn which was a little adventurous for my husband (they served quail) but I thought it was delicious. And the breakfast the next morning was great. Morgan (our dog) had a great time chasing the ducks and curling up by the fireplace at night. I told my parents they need to make a visit to Hillbrook, and we will hopefully return sometime too.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I knew there was a casino in Charles Town, but this charming inn and its grounds seemed worlds away. We stayed in the Locke's Nest in the main house, a spacious and lovely upstairs room. I'm usually a light sleeper and an early riser, but I slept in, so I know the bed was comfortable. Lounging in a hammock with a book by a stream was a treat. We had a delicious five-course dinner in the restaurant, and an equally tasty and unique breakfast (including grilled pineapple with fresh whipped cream and sliced almonds! Yum). The staff was great, welcoming and personable. A very relaxing visit.

Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We spent Sunday night at the Hillbrook and enjoyed the 6:00 dinner. Our room (The Lookout) was small but comfortable. Don't choose this room if you're tall, however, as the slanted ceilings are an obstacle (my husband is 6 feet and had problems). Dinner was fabulous,but slightly overpriced. Our overall experience was very good. I wish they didn't include the tip automatically (20%), as I feel the amount should be an individual choice, or why not just include it in the price?

Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My husband & I were able to get away to this beautiful home so wonderfully appointed in every way. We bought a Living Social deal and were so glad to get the opportunity to experience the hospitality of the staff, especially Carissa! She made us feel special and welcome as did all of the staff. Hillbrook is so relaxing, clean and the attention to detail not overlooked. Thank you for taking care of us. We will be back again & again!!

Room Tip: All are beautiful
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Teresa, thank you for enjoying the inn with us! It was so wonderful to have you both there and I enjoyed talking to you both as well. The inn is very special to me, my wonderful staff as well as my family. We are happy to hear that you were able to relax and appreciated all the details we have to offer. We look forward to seeing you both again in the future! ~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My husband and I went to Hillbrook this past weekend, and had a lovely time. We stayed in the summer cottage- which was really lovely. To give the readers an idea of who we are- we are a late-twenty something couple who love food, upscale dining, outdoorsy stuff, spas.. and well.. relaxing! We were able to experience all of the above at Hillbrook.

Amazing amazing dinner. I don't normally order Lamb, but WOW was it fantastic. The salad.. was the greatest salad I have ever had. Yes. it was that good.

The spa was a wonderful experience. The massage therapist was AMAZING. I get massages every other week, and holy cow was it nice.

They also helped create a romantic weekend, so we were served breakfast in bed! it was lovely.

The only compliant I had was that the water in the cottage did not stay hot for long. We were so looking forward to using the hot tub, but barely were able to fill it up. Also, at the dinner our waitress was really rude. We had tried to start a conversation but she wouldn't speak with us and kept giving me some mean looks. My husband thinks it was because I was younger and had a tattoo on my ankle.... but who knows.

Carissa was there in the dining room with us helping to serve, so she balanced out the rude lady. :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Thank you for visiting the Hillbrook Inn for your special day! We know how important this date was for you both and were happy that we could help create your “hallmark moment.” I will discuss the weekend with my staff and appreciate your honesty about the staff complaint and the hot water. I will have the grounds keeper look at the water heaters to see if there is a problem or something that we can do. As for the dining server, my deepest apologies! Our server has been at the inn for over 20 years and is actually has difficulty hearing. I know there are times when guests feel like she is not listening to them or unfriendly, but to be honest, there is difficulty hearing. We are taking steps to getting her assistance with this as well and apologize if for one minute you thought it was because of any other reason! I will talk to her and explain to her the importance of informing guests of her limitations. She is a special part of Hillbrook and we don’t want guests to have an impression that they are not welcome, because everyone is welcome to dine at Hillbrook! I wish I would have known that night when I was in the room, because I would have assisted more and also talked to her about situation! There are no words to say that I am sorry that your husband truly felt that way, because in the end there are no excuses for it! Sincerely, Carissa Zanella

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!