“Great entertainment” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Casinos
Activities: Gambling
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: With nearly 5,000 slots, over 100 tables, live thoroughbred racing and 7 delicious dining options, the Hollywood treatment is yours for the taking.
Baltimore, MD
16 attraction reviews
“Great entertainment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I loved the bar area. They provided a great band and our group danced all night. The drinks were pretty costly ($9 for house wine). There was a lot of smoke, which I did not like, but that is a state law. Seemed to have a variety of slots and table games.

Romney, WV
5 attraction reviews
“Big Change Since Maryland Live! opening”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Recently went to the poker room on a Thursday evening. What a difference from my visit a few months ago! The opening of the Maryland Live! casino near DC has drawn off a huge part of their customer base. I would guess the poker room had half the players of my previous visits and the folks at my table were much less aggressive than before. There were many fewer active table games and the minimum bets for each were much lower. Overall, a better deal for low-budget gamblers, but just not much action.

Fort Collins, CO
3 attraction reviews
“A good casino with a celebrity past...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I pretty much grew up at this place. Even though I now live in Colorado I grew up in nearby Winchester, Virginia and I still can remember visiting this place back when was known as just the Charles Town Races. Heck I still remember the old now defunct Shenandoah Downs track that was located across the street. Eating pizza from the old Pizza Hut (now the Rib Room at the Turf Motel ) while watching the horses...Fun times !!

I know there are other Hollywood Casinos out there but the name really fits for this place as the old Charles Town Races for many of years really did attract the celebrities. The Kennedys yes JFK and Jackie ) were once regulars here as well as at Shenandoah Downs. My dad still talks about the time he had seen Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance ( yes Lucy & Ethel from "I Love Lucy" ) visiting the the Charles Town track back in the 60s.To this day I still talk about the wonderful singer Tina Turner who back in the summer 1984 had put one hell of a show. Of course this was the same time her album "Private Dancer" was released and as they say the rest was history. Country acts such as Ronnie Milsap and Alabama even the rock bands Alice in Chains and Dinosaur Jr. had put on shows here back in the 80s and 90s. OK that was the "old" Charles Town Races & Shenandoah Downs and yes both tracks were smoky even back then.

Now today's Hollywood Casino @ The Charles Town Races. It is a good casino. I myself have won quite a bit of money here over the years thanks to their slots and yes some my visits I had won nothing at all. Hey its a casino..gotta take your chance. You may win or you may not. Remembering the old place the food today is sooooooo much better. I would gladly take at any price the Epic Buffet, Final Cut Steakhouse, even their food court over that horrible cafeteria and the poor excuse of an ice cream palor and broken video games that the Charles Town Races had back in the 70s and 80s.

The problem with "smoke"...having visiting this place for so many years I guess I am kinda used to it here ( and I am not even a smoker ) but I know the smoke does bother many folks so if smoking is very offensive to you even though there are non-smoking sections available I would suggest visiting the other casinos that are totally smoke free since unfortunately I don't see the Hollywood Casino becoming totally smoke-free as in no smoking allowed on the property anytime soon. Now with that being said I have seen "suggestions" here and elsewhere that the Hollywood Casino if they must allow smoking then ban cigars and pipes. That would be nice but I can remember some of the bars in nearby Berkeley County ( Martinsburg ) tried doing that such as the old Gables Nightclub when they banned cigars back in the 90s..they couldn't do it so if a small place such as Gables couldn't do it dt a don't hold your breath expecting a giant place such as the Hollywood Casino in doing it..unfortunately.

As many had said already..its not Vegas or Atlantic City..its a casino and for that area a good one. Yes there are other casinos in Maryland and Pennsylvania now and yes they are cutting into the business here but until a new casino opens up in the West Virginia Eastern Panhandle or when Virginia gets into the casino game ( neither of which appears to be happening as I write this )...The Hollywood Casino at the Charles Town Races, well it is what it is..a casino with added horse racing. Good way to spend a few hours..if you can mind the smoke.

Visited October 2013
Maryland Heights, Missouri
36 attraction reviews
“Casino plan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I go here often. I hate the weekends here. Too smokey. Tables have learners on the wekends but thats the crowd. Jamed on weekends. Table miniums rise fast on weekends. I dont like it here on the weekends. Park in the garage just to the left when you enter to avoid the valet. The casino has good parking and the garage is well lit and I can make to and from the car w/o a jacket. Table workers are good. well advised and helpful. Tables are to the right when you walk in. The buffett is great on the main level. The food court is always open. Drinking at the bar is expensive but free drinks while you play. A good vireity of slos are available. I haent seen any races here but they have a nice track and seating. Lots of stables are mostly empty. Friendly crowd. Clean bathrooms. I lost my phone up there, actually threw it away by accident, and security acted like they had a system how to get it back to me if they found it. never did. I actually like it here beter than at live.

phila
9 attraction reviews
“Skip the Casino/Head for the Track”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We enjoyed the horse races. If you park in the outdoor lot, you can walk directly to the racetrack without having to go through the casino. We stayed for a few races and if it is something you don't do often, it is fun betting on the horses. They had a buffet that overlooks the track, but the food did not look too appetizing. I would suggest either buying food at the outdoor stand or otherwise eat elsewhere.

Visited September 2013