“Didn't Like Slot Selection & Couldn't Win” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 11 Attractions in Charles Town
Activities: Gambling
More attraction details
Owner description: With nearly 5,000 slots, over 100 tables, live thoroughbred racing and 7 delicious dining options, the Hollywood treatment is yours for the taking.
harrisburg
4 attraction reviews
“Didn't Like Slot Selection & Couldn't Win”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a big casino and they do have plenty of slots, but I just didn't like the type of slots they had there. They hardly had any I actually like and normally play. Some were tall and sat high up and I had to look up and hurt my neck to play them...not all but some. I also noticed that many of the penny slots here start at a higher bet than other casinos. They don't have many with a quarter bet. Many start at $1, or .80 cents, .50 cents etc....to play all the lines. And be careful, there are little rows of nickel machines thrown smack dab in the middle of a penny section. You might end up playing one, betting a lot more than you're realizing, like I did. I was all over the place and tried all sort of slots and couldn't win on anything. It was terrible. I didn't get any fun play on anything and it was so hard to even get a bonus on anything. My mom had a little luck there on the White Orchid, I wasn't as fortunate. They do have several bathroom and free drink machines on the walls which is nice and both smoking and non smokin sections.

Charles Town, West Virginia, USA
5 attraction reviews
“Something for Everyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The casino features old style slots as well as MANY of the newer slot machines. Poker machines also. Table games for all tastes. Limits do tend to run a little high on weekends. Live horse racing Wed-Sat nights and when the weather is nice (May-Oct), Sunday afternoon racing. Bring kids on a Sunday afternoon. They will have a blast watching the horses. Hotel on site but have not stayed.

Herndon, Virginia
79 attraction reviews
“It's not Vegas, but it's a casino”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Hollywood Casino has over 100 table games and 3500 slots. We've been there many times, but I noticed on this trip that they are finally updating some of their slots. Any casino that I've been in that has Wizard of Oz machines - you have to wait in line to get to one. Hollywood doesn't have one. They do have the ever popular Alice, Sex and the City and Hangover machines. We were there on a Thursday afternoon/evening, so the casino wasn't very busy. However, before we left, around 9:00 pm, it was very busy. It's not Vegas, but it is a casino.

Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
23 attraction reviews
“S & H green stamps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went on a Saturday, pretty busy in the afternoon. But nice, you could play want you wanted. We watched 7 horse races and enjoyed every single one. But by 11 when we got back out on the floor omg and the smoke is unbeleivable. They should go outside to smoke.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
204 attraction reviews
“Lots of smoke, lots of new games”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

It has been a couple of years since I was last out at Hollywood Casino in Charlestown. Back then it wsa simply slots and the horses, but now with the addition of table games, it is like a whole new place. The biggest issue for me is the overabundance of smoke, which you find in most casinos. While I appreciate the new games, the old smoke is enough to keep me away for a couple more years.